Some noob questions

First off all, i’m impressed by the progression the game has made. I haven’t played in months, and all of the sudden the game is much more fun :smiley: I’ve been playing for a couple hours now, and so far everything is going fine. However I do have a couple questions.

1. Are ores distributed like in minecraft (depending on the height in the world), or is it pretty much random. I’ve been mining on the same height and so far all i found is iron, soft coal and fossils. And some ore i cannot mine with stone.
  2. How can i see coordinates?
  3. Is there a max word height/depth?
  4. Any tips on finding ancient tech?

Thanks for reading, here is a potato:

3 Likes
  1. I don’t know exactly how ores are distributed, but I believe that they are distributed somewhat similarly to mc.
  2. There is a locations tab in your inventory where you can see sour current coordinates
  3. Yes (I don’t know what the cap is)
  4. It seems to be that most rare ores have been found in the sides of mountains and desserts.
  5. Nice potato

P.S. A lot of people are currently playing on the testing version of the game, you can switch to testing by right clicking boundless in your Library>Properties>Betas>Testing

3 Likes

Can confirm the mountain side theory, found 7 ancient tech so far, mostly close to eachother.

do you mean ancient tech fragments or components? fragments desert has tons,components i’ve found mostly in the mountains/caves.

resources seem to depend on the planet your on (eg,rarely found gold on therka,but when i moved to elopor i’ve found atleast 60 pieces of gold,along with alot of medium coal and occasionally hard coal. )

I’ve found resource generation to follow a few specific factors.

1. All resources seem to follow a “lumpy” distribution, appearing in large spaced out clusters stretched across the entire world with large voids in between. This picture of a Galactic Supercluster illustrates this distribution well!

The hot pink areas are dense clusters of various ores, fossils, tech, etc, and the dark/black areas are voids where no resources can be found. Mind you, each cluster can be several blocks apart from the next, but they tend to flow in web-like lumps.
  2. The composition of these resource veins is biome specific. Some biomes are richer in resources like gold, silver, or components, while others only have lesser resources like copper and coal. Mountain Glaciers and Desert Mountains seem to have the highest density of gold and components.
  3. Certain resources also have a depth requirement. Fossils seem to be most prevalent at depths below 90, and medium/large fossils are more frequent at greater depths. Gems seem most prevalent below 50.
  4. Each world has it’s own biome resource generation properties. Titanium and Gems, for example are exceedingly rare on starter worlds, but much more common on higher tier worlds.
2 Likes

I like how that looks, but if resources were linked together, like a web, it makes the hunt for resources far less difficult when you find a vein you know is linked to a system of veins that is at any given time only 5-7 blocks away.