Some Thoughts / Questions about Higher Tier Tools

I’m just now getting into the higher-tier tools past Iron, and I had no idea how ridiculously resource-intensive and time-consuming Silver, Gold, and Titanium tools are.

I’m assuming that Silver is three hits to a block, Gold two, and Titanium one?

I get the reason why it’s so difficult to make these items. However, I am a bit confused as to why the gem tools are easier to make than the late-tier metal tools. I assumed from the beginning that gem tools are the best in some way. Better than Titanium. Is this true? Because the great thing about them is that you don’t have to mix them with anything. Just compact ten rough whatevers, refine them, and craft the tool. The only real difference I see is more Fossil Extract, and Dark Blood. However, if you just go to a ring world for a little while and seek out higher-tier Spitters and Cuttletrunks, you get a good bit of Dark Blood. Am I missing something here as to why it’s easier to craft the gem tools? I’m just trying to understand as much of this game as I can. :slight_smile:

Edit: OOOH, I almost forgot to ask. I find myself running out of fuel constantly. Soft Coal is terrible efficiency. It takes a good while to mine a few stacks, and then you use it up almost instantly. I compacted a good bit of it for Spark, but with Spark AND furnaces, I don’t know how I am going to ever have enough. I find mid-tier Coal so infrequently. Is there any good place to find an abundance of higher Coal?

1 Like

The order of the tools is the following

And from silver on, it’s 3 hits.

Before the update, gems were easier to find, but fossils were harder, so it kinda made up.

Now after the update, you can find silver, gold and titanium pretty easily, plus fossil, and gems are not that easy anymore. So it’s not as easy anymore to go for the gem tools.

Plus the gem tools have more durability, apart from the fact, grapples act differently according to the materials.

1 Like

Is there a durability chart anywhere for tools?

Also, if Silver, Gold, and Titanium are all three hits, is the -only- point of making a Titanium Hammer to mine gems? Titanium tools are harder to craft than Gold and Silver tools, so what sets Titanium tools apart from the others except mining gems?

1 Like

I know that you can mine gems with gold tools.

1 Like

Oh, really? That’s great to hear. :slight_smile: What’s up with Titanium then?

I’m not sure since I haven’t made one yet. Maybe just the durability increases.

Titanium has durability almost as high as gem, but is far more easily obtained and exists on every tier world. Gems are only obtained on ring worlds and now after the update, far rarer. Plus, they require a decent amount of spark and a dark blood requires a visit to a hostile rung world. So while crafting may be more simplified, obtaining the materials is more dangerous. That’s the balance, and the justification for gems over titanium.

Better coal is more frequent on higher tier worlds as well. Hard coal is fairly common on ring worlds down deep.

2 Likes

I just wish I had gotten to this tier before the update. XD There were Amethysts everywhere on Munteen. Now I’ll just have to have a challenge. :slight_smile: Would gems be lower or higher underground?

Thank you for the information on Titanium. :slight_smile:

generally lower, but they seem to be inbetween lava and surface. ive found the most about 20 blocks below surface

2 Likes

Fantastic. I’m going to keep up my hunt. Thank you. :slight_smile:

You will also generally find better stuff digging in certain biomes, such as mountains. At least the last time I played, not sure if it’s changed since then.

1 Like