I recommend finding a large city or settlement and making a temporary ‘starter home’ near there. This will give you access to shops, portals, and other players which will be very helpful as getting started can be a bit confusing. Stay in your starter home while you level up a bit and decide what kind of character you want to create:
- hunting has good loot drops at higher levels but is easier in large groups
- mining is the best for straight up levelling
- crafting is slow for levelling right now. May be useful if you plan on building a lot or setting up a market
- exploring isn’t really useful right now, but maybe after 1.0 release
Once you’ve decided, find a good place to set up a proper base and transfer over there - or stay and join a main city.
For good all rounder skills I recommend:
- Power (useful for all tools and characters)
- Dexterity (for all tools)
- Light source I
- One or two points in vitality
- One point in health regen when possible
- Hammer mastery (everybody needs hammers)
Levelling can be a bit grindy, but mining is the fastest way to do it right now. Also try completing objectives early on for easy exp.