Sovereign world developer intentions

yeah they not asking they offering it as an option
also would say it is not fair
but fair enough

When a lot of people were saying everything was plotted on Malu - I went there the same day and mined several areas for diamonds (not in mines) with no problem :woman_shrugging:

I think the addition of Exo planets was genius.

3 Likes

This point of view doesnt make sense as we all find fun in different things. Sitting down playing a game with an artificial rarity of colors isnā€™t fun. Running around constantly in to blocked off places isnā€™t fun. There are a host of things I may find fun that you do not. Counting numbers is fun. Ask someone else and counting numbers is horrific.

The perception of fun activities will change from person to person.

And then, perceived problems or not, you can know for a fact as a new person you can go to a public rental planet and not find any walled off items. As a new player, you canā€™t say that on permanent planets.

How long has it been since you guys were newbies? Itā€™s not been very long for me. The perception for a long time was I couldnā€™t get to various areas. I began to assume all the areas were walled off. Then I was told about exoā€™s, and thats where I live now.

No. You can go to an Exo and know nothing is walled off.

People can and probably will wall off some/all gem spots on some rental planets. Itā€™s not a guarantee that they will open their planet up to the public or that they wonā€™t wall off resources.

1 Like

they can wall them off on rentals aswell

1 Like

this gonna be my last post as itā€™s beginning to feel like banging a head on wall.

There are multiple persons who have publicly stated they will host public gem worlds and make them unplottable. So we know those worlds will be unplottable. I do not understand why this is being ignored to focus on the rentals who will wall them off.

If a group of people publicly announce they will host gem worlds with no plotting privs, then you can know, as i said, that there will be nothing plotted off.

The discussion on exo is moot. I already agreed they are awesome and where I spend all my current game time.

2 Likes

Yup. A lot of us are planning to make our rentals available to the public.
However, we are saying this without knowing costs or features yet too - so nothing is guaranteed.

making stuff rare in a game is like one off the essentials off a good game in my opinion
if you can get everything with zero effort a game would def be no fun

cause they not garanteed and can be gone a month later so you should not account for those in ya argument

2 Likes

Iā€™ve said it a million times but. This :point_up::point_up::point_up:

2 Likes

As someone planning to host at least one public gem world mine (if I can afford any at all! Still will depend on cost here), here are my plans and reasons -

Although the walled off resources really annoy me, this is not the reason for me. The private mines are most an issue on Malu, and Iā€™ve got a few good public diamond mines set up already. The reason is, for a few gems - emerald and ruby in particular - there just arenā€™t many really good areas for mining like you have with, say, diamonds in the Rupes Dalluck area on Serp. Some of the exos that have popped have been far better than anything permanent we have on Emerald, Amethyst, and Ruby.

Of course, keeping it so they can never be walled off is a huge incentive. :slight_smile: I promise if I do a gem world or more, those will be open to all - plotting will be off to all but a few friends, and I think I will establish a settlement or two Iā€™ll allow people to ask to settle in, BUT if the plotting rules arenā€™t followed, POOF! :wink: (Great thing about the controls we have hehe!) Ideally Iā€™d like a settlement convenient to a good gem mine area, and some 1x2 portals there to other good spots. May do a tunnel network too, within the good spots.

Obviously weā€™ve got a big dice roll here though if we do this - that is why I asked a few times about biome selection on our rentals, since I think this could profoundly impact how our hotspots are (though Ross pointed out there are a lot of factors involved).

4 Likes

I think so many people got mad about malurialakrib there might be more public mines than private ones now.

3 Likes

I think that a small planet is best for gems. If they work like exos you can get higher density hotspots that way!

3 Likes

Yep, that is a huge question for me now that Iā€™ve seen the post about the three sizes - go for a large one, hoping that with more regions/biomes a few might be good, or going for the higher density of a small one? :thinking:

Of course, terrain underground is a big thing hereā€¦ Amethyst, Norkyna total IS pretty high and there is a lot of hotspot but lots of it in lava death traps. On the exos, have seen how some areas can be really great on the low-spawning gems, other regions deadly. That would weigh in favor of trying to get more of a selection, so larger, BUT that density thing makes me lean towards smaller, hope that of the 26-34 regions on a smaller one Iā€™ll luck out and still get a few good ones.

2 Likes

I dont like this that some people get more info than othersā€¦ makes this kind of a ā€œheres a poor side and here a rich sideā€. And no im not meaning someone through bunch of money to them when game was in backing stage.

Sure i could pm them too, but why should i have to pm to get the information that is important to all?

Ive said multiple times but again here i goā€¦ communication nowadays is lacking.
Information is for all.

Edit.
People are alrdy telling these at forums ā€œi heard this from jamesā€. How am i suppose to trust that? This just opens more questions.

I get if you dont wanna give information when you dont have timeline or data to back itā€¦ but dont share it with others either then.

Edit2.
This is for general not pointed to someoneā€¦ alrdy got 3 pms about thisā€¦ lol.

12 Likes

I want a world made only of rift, but I want to be the only one. Nobody else gets my rift!

1 Like

You are dead on, I havenā€™t been a newbie for years. Honestly most of the people on this server have been playing for quite awhile, and many of us learned the game under different rule sets and different issues. I think we just have a lot of people that are upset about different things lashing out.

To clarify, my earlier post wasnā€™t to make fun of your or otherā€™s perceptions. Anyone that has successfully led or managed large groups of people for any amount of time knows that perceptions are important. Most of the time, and especially when it comes to entertainment, it is more important than the facts. People that perceive something as negative are far more likely to let others know about it, and all of a sudden you get a ton of people saying something that might not be true because it matches their one or two experiences with it. This perception that most gems are hidden behind walls is driving people away and is one of the reasons Iā€™ll be hosting a gem planet without plotting, much like you have mentioned you would rather use. Hopefully new players will learn about and utilize these worlds and not quit because they feel like they are stuck gathering beans for people to purchase gems.

4 Likes

Next time I will keep any info I might get to myself tho so everyone is happyā€¦

They will share more early next weekā€¦

2 Likes

Current public worlds for the win, as far as I am concerned. Rental worlds do not fill the content gap for me. Group oriented content on public worlds is what I am hoping for in the future. Every hunt I go on you meet new people and develop friendships, 20 to 30 people working together. If there were options of different ā€œeventsā€ to do I think the player base would increase.

Yes, people willingly pay for a sovereign planet, in large part based on what they get for their money. If people donā€™t think it will be value for money (as has been echoed here by many about the current state), then less money for Boundless.

But what do you mean by ā€˜maintaining balanceā€™. Sovereign worlds donā€™t add (and has never been suggested that they should) any uber new items that you can only get by paying money. Block colours are purely cosmetic, so unless youā€™re stating that cosmetics are a balance issue, Iā€™m not sure I follow.

At the same time, other people have said a million times that rarity isnā€™t some binary decision between having things rare or utterly trivial. I donā€™t think anyone here is advocating creative or super-easy on private worlds, just that the colours are available to grind if you have something specific in mind.

I think this is something they did really nail. Being able to turn on plotting permissions, let people plot what they want and then turn them off again is a brilliant way to restrict unwanted plotting without being too onerous, and without having to develop any new systems like beacon transfers (although I hope thatā€™s still on their radar).

Definitely. If I was James, I wouldnā€™t want everybody PM-ing me constantly trying to get information out of me. For someone who cares as little about what other people think of me as I do, itā€™s weird that empathy is the biggest reason I would never PM a dev with an information request.

I donā€™t even blame the people who do get the information. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s always some confusion as to which info is ā€˜allowedā€™ to be shared publicly, and what is supposed to be just a private BBFā€™s nugget of info.

Good communication just isnā€™t about building relationships with specific individual and giving some people access to privileged and arbitrarily sensitive information. Itā€™s about being clear and concise about what youā€™d doing, even at the cost of people liking you. There was even a debate about what James meant by ā€˜Open for discussionā€™ because itā€™s just not clear. A more clear answer would have been:

ā€œAt this time, plots will work on sovereign planets in the same way they do on public planets. Weā€™re going to let it sit like that for a while and make changes if a need develops. Weā€™re open to ideas, but donā€™t expect them in this iteration version.ā€

Even if thatā€™s what he meant, it shouldnā€™t be expected as implied or inferred information.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been following this game (and playing it) for a long time and rented worlds was the single most important feature for me since the beginning. Thatā€™s why I always paid attention to every bit of information that was handed to us over the years.
And I donā€™t feel that the initial version of the rented worlds feature that we currently witness on testing servers is in any way different to what has been announced and presented in the past. Neither is it a prove of some kind of huge chasm between player base and devs projects.
Apart from a few details that can be ironed out through testing and players feedback, the sovereign worlds prove to be what I expected and Iā€™m sure they will find its fans among fellow Oortians.

There are going to be a few different kinds of rented worlds, as Iā€™m sure we all know.
I wonder why are there so many dramatic posts treating this first iteration of only one type of rented worlds like something final. Reading through all discussions around the newest testing update, I see a tendency to treat the sovereign world as a feature that must hand full control to players if it comes to how they are created.
Iā€™m sure that there is a plan to attach different level of control to different types of rented worlds. And when we eventually get to the point when all types of rented worlds are implemented, every kind of players will be able to find the one that suits them the most (while some might not be interested in any of them and focus on public worlds).

What people want isnā€™t necessarily whatā€™s best for the game.
If there is any disconnect between players wants and devs ideas, half of the blame lays on playersā€™ side, as many tend to approach new updates with expectations that have no base in reality (meaning what has been said about any planned update beforehand).
Also, devs have no obligation towards players other than promised bonuses for backers and any extra features for GC subscribers etc. They neednā€™t to cater any players wants if they feel it doesnā€™t fit the core game systems (be it world tiers, resource balance, progression balance etc.)

There are enough players who want the sovereign worlds and accept the general concept presented, where those worlds follow the live universe constraints (meaning no full customization conrol).
Most (if not all) would like changes to original (current testing) features, like more control of biome choice, some sort of free sovereign-world-exclusive plots etc. But there seem to be enough understanding around to accept there might be some waiting in order before we see the perfected version of the system and that 100% customization control is most likely not planned.

Iā€™m sure connecting a sovereign world to any portal hub on the closest public world is as cheap as connecting it to playerā€™s home world (meaning where they have their home beacon). Only difference is that the first adds a few portals on the way home.
I have a feeling that there is some logic behind the random world attaching that might escape our understanding atm (maybe to spread worlds more evenly between public planets rather than have 10 infesting one sky and none in another firmament).

5 Likes