Speed of Fists changed somehow in the last Update

Dexterity helps, as do action speed boon and fast brews. Grapple mastery doesn’t seem to affect it.

However, even with max dexterity it does seem sluggish on the base fists, and they could probably use a speed increase.

It does affect it, but I guess I need to waste cleanse points and make some screen shots because you are dismissing what I posted as false.

1 Like

this time he was talking about the reload time of the fists, and of course this is not effected, thats what the tool-tip is stating too: grapple mastery affects only the damage of the fists

1 Like

Eh, that was not exactly clear. Regardless, here are some screen shots:

This is normal damage against a Boori Cuttletrunk without Grapple Master.
fistDamage

This is normal damage against an identical Cuttletrunk with three points in Grapple Mastery.
fistDamageAfter

4 Likes

I’m not dismissing what you’re saying, what I’m saying is that it doesn’t show the bonus damage when you look at the stats for the fist in your inventory.

I didn’t mean to come off as dismissive, I really do want it to work.

edit: and what I meant by that comment you quoted was that grapple mastery doesn’t seem to affect the action speed, not the damage. Sorry for the confusion.

thank you for the confirmation on this, ive been looking for a confirm for my hunter for a while now <3

Hey everyone, just to give you a bit more detail from the dev side. The fists are supposed to be a relatively fast firing weapon with a long “reload” cooldown period. This reload function is quite different from the tools and slingbow action speed, and we had to kind of “hack” it into the game to get it in time for launch. This meant it missed out from bonuses to action speed from buffs/skills etc. So in this update we changed the way the “reload” was taken into the action time, meaning fists could be effected by speed buffs.
While it meant some data changes, we made sure the DPS would remain the same for base fists, since we are happy where fists sit right now in terms of balance for early-mid players.

2 Likes

Yeah i definitely works :smile: I crit with gold one for 6416, and normal hit does 3666! :smiley: To say it in one cheat code: “Power Overwhelming” :stuck_out_tongue:

A few things to clarify because there is alot of confusion and speculation. Note that I only tested the Gold fist.

• Grapple mastery does work now as I respecced.
  • Fast brew does not have an impact as was claimed earlier. I tested that too. Specifically the 80% super fast brew. @rossstephens- Does your claim of speed buffs apply to brews as well?

I have not tested dexterity and would like to hear others chime in on this. I’m skeptical

Dexterity does work. The differences between zero Dexterity and max Dexterity are night and day. With max Dexterity I am attacking faster with the Fist than I did before the patch.

Before patch, I was using 2 iron explorer’s fists to mine stuff on T6 planets, with no grapple mastery, 6/8 dex. After patch, the fists are slower. Damage seems to be the same. With damage epic and 6/8 agility, I still need to 2-hit rocks and 4-hit ores/gems.

Totally agree Fists are way slower, dunno why they were nerfed. It had a delay between shots but now its ridiculous. Was my go to weapon for defense & killing now I find them almost useless.

What was the purpose for slowing them down? :persevere:

Im sorry Ross but the firing speed that the fist had was perfectly fine as they were, yes you can now apply some more damage with the grapple mastery and such, but either with buffs (which are not something a starter player can have right away tbh) they are sluggish to use, you get killed in the reload “step” its not useful anymore… why nerf it?.. heck not even that much people used them anyways, why take the fun out of everyone else who DID used them?.. I just don’t get it…

Speak for yourself, would you? I had blast with them before, I have even more now when grapple mastery works correctly on them.

1 Like

This by no means is this a nerf. every tool and weapon were made to reflect one another. Before the patch you could have the same action speed stat on two different items and their swing time would be different. This made it that if any item has an action speed of lets say 4 they will both swing exactly the same. So in short not a need just bringing everything to be online with one another

With a mega fast brew it definitely affects it. I recorded a video showing the difference. If you don’t have dexterity then that’s probably why it was still slow. 80% of action speed 5 isn’t very much. With dexterity I have an action speed of 25, which should increase to 50 with the mega fast brew.

I should’ve recorded a video with a mega fast brew and my forged 49 action speed fist, that was just ridiculous.

1 Like

Oh wow. Very nice. So action speed boon affects the fist too. That is good to know

It does, I’ll attach a photo of the one I’m using. It was actually the reason I thought base fists were much faster than before, until I realized my mistake. I’ll need to try to make another batch of those.

1 Like

Machinegun fists are so much fun.
Now, if @james would make it so they pass through other characters :]
On hunts about 70% of my shots are blocked by players, frustrating.

1 Like

It’s not working on iron fists. :confused: