Starting collecting knowledge for a worldbuilder guide

So I was think that we could start collecting information about different world builder functions so we easily can put together a guide later on.

Information should prefarably be pressented together with images showing of the point.

5 Likes

yes please it would be great a guide of starting making a world with the most basic tools proceeding to the most complex ones because I don’t know how to use it. I only touch things and nothing happens xD

1 Like

These are the noise nodes:

Clicking one of them will make it appear in the middle of your screen it will maube look like this:

This is perlin one of the most basic forms of noise, it have only one kind of modification, the frequency. Scaling down the frequency will make the noise make less frequent but larger noise and scaling it up will make smaller but more frequent noise:

At the left of the noise a white point is visible:

This is used to connect the noise to other building blocks in the world builder:

Something that can be done by clicking on either of the white points and then on the corresponding point you want to connect it to.

This is Perlin noise as seen in 2D

And 3D:

Perlin is a semi random noise function, with a somewhat angular structure. This is not very visible in 3D but can be seen in 2D.

This is Simplex:

And 3D:

Simplex is also a semi random noise generator, it generates noise at a higher frequency which means that it makes more and slimmer spikes, simplex have less angular 2D structure and seems to create more patternlike structures. Simplex is also steeper than perlin

Simplex and perlin set besides each other simplex frequency have been lowered to allow easier understanding of the patterns.

###I am jumping over gabor and worley cause they are freaky to explain

Abselute is a type of noise that creates and outline of you existing noise, as seen in the picture below is a perling noise and the Abselute alteration of it.

As visible abselute creates an outline reaching the top of the generation, for all generated terrain that reaches above layer 0

Abeslute 2 does about the same as Abselute but it adds an outline around the “holes” (meaning those spots where nothing pops up either) in the generated area too:

7 Likes

a world builder for dummies would be awesome, i have access to this but have never tried a program like this. It would be great to express some creativity if I knew what the heck to do! :wink:

1 Like

I am still not quite sure what the power and k function in worley exactly do so if anyone have a better understanding of that say something.

I can see the visual effect but it would be nice to understand why.

I like that :slight_smile: go on with that! I hope we somewhen can work out structures that we for example see in nature and want to implement ingame. Can you already tell about the parameters of both?
generation size
resolution
offset
so on…

Parameters is more imporant when you actually know how to use the noise

but:
Generation size dictates how large an area you can see when doing visualisation
Resolution is well resolution, on 1, 1 block in the generator is 1 block in the world as the resolution raises 1 block represents more and more blocks (this is for faster visual generation)

Offsets is just checking different places in what your noise randomly generates.

hmm, so if I put resolution on 2 I can see in generator 2 blocks for one real? Does not make sense for me yet.

and offset is just checking but not generating? o.o I think i need to play more with it myself to see the different patterns. I hope it will create different pictures, because some parameters sometimes seem to have no visual effect inside the generator.

The setting you can see in the image is solely for how much you see in the image above, i would guess that resolution 2 shows 8 (2x2x2) blocks.

Offset is checking other areas so for example offset-x on 32 would show the area just to the right of the offset x 0 (this is jsut me guessing it could also be offset 16)

Are you talking about parameters in the visualisation or the available building bricks?

A resolution of 2 means it will draw every other block in each direction. It’s useful when you want to zoom out to get a sense of how the noise acts on a large scale - while not having to draw every single block. Or, to flip the explanation around, a resolution of 2 means that each rendered block represents 2x2x2 blocks in the final world

Use resolution as a way of speeding up the rendering process (the trade off is that you won’t see finer details until you drop the resolution back down)

1 Like

Could you shrink those pictures a bit?

It can be done by altering this:

il do that tommorow il delete this and do it tommor it is so dang enoying lol

1 Like

Added abselute 1 and 2 to my post.

the sum noise mixes diffrent noises here are pics

not connected

non connected 2D

non connected 3D

both connected

both connected conected 2D

both connected conected 3D

and then we have the cell sample mix it basicly mixes cell noise and normal noise

non mixed checked

2D non mixed

3D non mixed

now it is checked as mix

mixed 2D

mixed 3D

then we have the remap noise it have the clamp function it makes them look smoother

clamped no checked

non clamped 2D

non clamped 3D

clamped checked

2D clamped

3D clamped

im not good wiht picturs deal whit it

i hope thats better

wow, I guess it’s a good explanation, but could your maybe support this with a screenshot?
And what exactly is the “rendered block”. Is it the block you see after visuization in the world builder?
And is there a rule, how the 2x2x2 block looks like in the “final world”?

I give you an example about what I am questioning myself:
If one block is rendered and you put your resolution on 2 or 4, what does that mean for the final world:

Guess i need to play around with it anyway :wink:

1 Like

It means exactly nothing for how the final world looks like the only thing it does is render the render faster so you can get an idea what your changes in the worldbuilder have done to the overall look of your world.

1 Like

can be the blocks more little? I mean, one block of now in game is the mid high of the current character. could be possible making the current blocks in four blocks. If blocks where more little the view of the construccions and the terrain I thing would be beter. what do @james and @ben say about that?

The game is configured for 1 block is 1m x 1m x 1m. Engine also supports sloped blocks, and a set of half blocks for wall, slabs and steps.

We have considered supporting micro blocks to allow for an additional level of detail - but there wasn’t huge demand in the community.

Ultimately it’s a trade off between character scale and complexity of sculpting the world.

For now - we’re sticking with 1 block = 1m^3.

3 Likes

Maybe something for BoundlessCrafting.com?, @Stretchious What do you think.