Stealth in Boundless

I don´t know what you have planed for the combat and why it wouldn´t go together with a really simplistic sneaking mechanic but I think that without the option to play as a ‘sneaky’ character a major part of the “combat sandbox” would be missing.

2 Likes

Isnt it just contradicting to say “you should just make a really simplistic sneaking mechanic” yet say “it should allow for the option to play as a sneaking character”

What is simple? what you described in the top definitely wasn’t simple by any stretch of the imagination. Its a nice idea, but not simple. Simple would be ESO everybody can ctrl to sneak which makes aggro range less, but even that comes with alot of systems that it needs to build around and alot of changes to the aggro and vision range to creatures.

I dont disagree with it being a cool idea, but saying ''i don’t understand why it wouldn’t work if you just made a really simple system" (which is basically what you are saying)

@ben put it nicely

What would be good enough for you? What would be too simple? would you rather have a bad/less than mediocre stealth system which might mess up combat balance just for the sake of having it there?

You can either accept it or keep bugging them about it like I did. If you come up with a variety of good reasons as to why it SHOULD be in the game, other than “because i want it to” I think they might be willing to consider it more :smiley:

1 Like

something that i’ve been thinking about reguarding stealth: would suprise really increase the damage of an attack? I think only in reguards to that the enemy wouldn’t be guarding with a shield or other weapon, but wouldn’t there already be a mechanic for that? rather, I think that stealth should only be an opportunity to, if you’re smart, engage your enemies only a few at a time, or not at all. that way it is practical for a character to specialize in stealth attacks without actually unrealistically increasing the damage.

or is there a real reason a suprise attack would deal more damage?

Dunno if it would but it´s common practice in games that attacks out of stealth deal additional damage, probably because stealth classes/characters in games mostly revolve around a fast, burst oriented combat style.

The idea of doing more damage coming out of stealth is based on the idea the you have the time and advantage to make a precise strike. As opposed to taking whatever strike you have available in open combat. It’s basically giving you a free crit.

2 Likes

Logically, damage boost comes from being able to target critical weaknesses that may be difficult to attack in combat, like the spine, gaps in armour or the back of the head. When you have a target that does not know you are there, you can better prepare your first strike.

3 Likes