Storage needs an upgrade.. its about time

This has been suggested in the past and was advised not possible I believe. I will see if can find the post. Anyone else that might be familiar with the post Im speaking on?

No actually John Carmack built the first (ID Software)Voxel Game engine for Doom back in 2007. Then there was a pre minecraft called I think “Infiniminer” then mincraft came along. So I think he was refering to those precurser games.

I totally agree with you on that we need new exciting storage to make :nerd_face:

Wasn’t aware that the Doom engine was voxel, it looked more like 2D sprites on a 3D plane. I was aware of Infiniminer’s existence, but don’t remember it being too popular. I really didn’t suggest that Minecraft was the first voxel game anyway, I just implied that all the blocky games we play now were inspired by its success.

1 Like

I got your point.
One thing I know about the gaming industry kinda like media if something gets popular the industry will jump on the bandwagon until its been done to death. They kinda ride the wave.

This threads a bit off topic. Feel free to continue in a new thread in the off topic category if you wish.

Personally I am very fond on Boundless’ visual storage shelves and I recognize it as one of those design features that visually set it apart from MC. I would hate to see it made obsolete or phased out in favor of condensed chests similar to every other voxel game out there.

2 Likes

No ones calling for getting rid of them (at least Im not) Just another option. Maybe you never had the problem of storage blocks hitting the mesh limit and needing to put shop stands in. This would be just another option.

Agree with @Havok40k that the current storage system is a distinct and unique (in my limited experience) solution that other games ignore, instead going for what is practically a tardis on your back (usually at an added cost…).
I have nothing against those systems in oher games as they can make sense in those universes; it’s just refreshing to have a different approach in our world.
I do occasionally get frustrated with our more limited inventory space and , if offered, would probably upgrade, but it’s like when flying came to wow was great fun and more convenient at the start but kinda ruined it for me in the end…sometimes the struggle can be more rewarding.
I just want more variety in the finishes of the current storage (metal!).

1 Like

I’d love metal storage with the new rendering update.

1 Like

Well, I solved the storage issue like this:

Underneath the storage blocks I put some shop stands and bevel chisel so they can be accessed easily. In the photo they can be seen rather clearly but when you’re walking around in my workshop you really do not notice it! Most people totally miss it until I show them!

I do wish we could store more items in storage blocks tho. Perhaps a variant where there are 8 spots, everything will be smaller but can still give us the visual we like as wel!

And I agree with catfud: more finishes instead of only stone!!!

1 Like

A simple “fix”: make shop stands that look like chests and which can’t sell items

5 Likes

Actually, I would prefer the look of a safe! And if they can take the same colours as the normal storage that would be neat as well even tho that would be kinda odd since those are made from stone, but still…

2 Likes

I did something like that but still needed more room I got Stones out the waaahzoo!

1 Like

I understand People want to hold tight to the more or less unique style of Boundless storage.
But apparantly, players allready using loop holes, again, to fill the Needs of better, more compacted storage with shop stands and i doubt they were designed for that.

So, and for lack of better words this will Sound harsh, some Players refuse to have more Options and/or Advance in Technologie from what i read, which is fine for them.
But on the other Hand, Arent Options what makes the game fun?

4 Likes

It doesn’t have to be non visual. I suggested making the storage hold just one item type like shop stands, but differant designs made from metal preferably. It should still be able to show the item contained inside.

This is why I feel even as a temp solution increasing stack size may be a good idea. Especially for rocks and other common block types.

1 Like

Dear sir I think you missed a few comma’s and 00’s there… 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 x 10000

1 Like

We’ve had conversations on cloud storage but then stopping losing stuff when beacon expires does start to get into areas that are part of the game mechanics. To not derail the thread it probably is best to just focus on more game assets that increase the storage beyond the forms we have now… so like a chest, etc.

I would just be happy if there were “quick stack”, “quick sort”, “deposit all”, “take all”…etc type functions in regards to our inventory.

4 Likes

There is…just toss it all at me :grin:

1 Like