Stuck on "Meshing chunks (0/9)" - help needed

Hi there,

I just bought Boundless, I have never been able to get beyond selecting a server and its trying to connect as it will be stuck on:
“Connecting to Lepker”
“Mesing Chunks (0 / 9)”

I had a look around the forum and the most common suggestions have been:
Make sure your drivers are updated - done
Make sure you are not running Steam in beta version - done

I have also make an exception for the game in my windows firewall, done a cleanboot, ran Steam and the game as admin and reinstalled the game.

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?

I am running Windows 8.1 and using a GTX 980 GPU and 16 gigs of RAM, the game has been installed on both an SSD and a traditional HDD.

Here is my Boundless log file: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/f302e42bcf88035ebedc5921afc06d3e

Thank you.

How long did you leave it on the “Meshing Chunks 0/9” phase?

I seem to remember that there is a large data dump that occurs on first load, so it may just be a case of waiting a while for it to finish downloading so you can enter the world.

I read that somewhere as well, so i tried leaving it while watching a movie. a good couple of hours I’d reckon.

Hmmm. That’s strange. Thanks for the log.

It’s not obviously to me what the problem is - I’ll need to check with the team.

But a few random things you could try:

1. Try switching to the C++ Beta build - the details are here.

2. The audio is failing - do you have any special (or no) audio hardware installed?

3. The game is failing to get chunks from the server. Is it possible to switch servers (pressing P) or via the options?

4. Do you have any special (or non standard) display setup? Multiple monitors for example?

Thanks for your reply James.

1. I haven’t tried that, but I’ll get on it
  2. I do have audio drivers installed for my Logitech G930, I have not tried other outputs. All i hear while its trying to connect, is birds chirping and the likes.
  3. I have tried different servers in the same region and in different regions aswell. They all say “Quiet” if thats of any use to you.
  4. I have a triple monitor setup, which I will try disabling. I am Using the monitor which is set as the primary monitor in Windows, and its running 144Hz (in case that might be an issue.)

I will return with my findings. Thank you very much to the both of you Stretchious and James.

Then the audio is working. Ignore this issue.

“Quiet” refers to how many players are on the server - so it shouldn’t be relevant here.

Also try windowed and non-windowed mode. But to be honest - given that the game is rendering the GUI I don’t imagine this is the problem.

Can you also confirm that your Windows system is fully up-to-date?

(Hmmm, this is really strange. Not sure what to suggest.)

I can indeed confirm that my system is fully up-to-date.
I tried the game in windowed mode forced both through the .exe file and through the Steam launch properties, but no change.

I have had the C++ version stuck in the same place for about 10 min now.
Would a DXDiag and MSInfo32 be of any help to you, and if so where do I send it?

Details for contacting us are here.

Can you share the log file for the C++ version of the game? This might include some different details.

At the moment I’m thinking:

1. Why isn’t your game getting data from the server?
  2. Is it the game server failing to send you data?
  3. Is it something blocking the transfer (Firewall, Antivirus, something else)?
  4. Is is the game client failing to receive the data?

I completely get your way of thinking, which is why my first instinct was to specifically to make an exception to the game in windows firewall, and do a Cleanboot afterwards.

I only run Windows firewall and Windows Defender at the moment, no other antivirus or antimalware software is installed.

I am willing to do pretty much whatever you want me to try.

Log file of the C++ version as requested: Wrong URL removed

Is that all the log? It’s quite short.

The log file for the C++ version of the game on Windows is here: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Turbulenz\Boundless\boundless_game_log.txt

What other files are in: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Turbulenz\Boundless

Additional - I’m going to look on the servers to see if there is anything interesting there.

My bad, I assumed it was the one in the new folder that was created. I have found the correct one, I do seem to have a problem linking to it though. The forum is telling me That I’m not allowed to link to that host.

Shortened URL for the gist: https://goo.gl/5LgpvO

1 Like

The forum software isn’t happy that a new user is posting links to the same host - and is flagging the posts as spam. I’ve unflagged the posts btw.

Looking at the server - I can see you connecting, and it sending you data: 'flickaflu' data sent 5168KB, data received 28KB.

Given that both the C++ and default versions of the game are failing (whilst they’re architecturally quite different) I’m left suspecting that it’s an issue with your setup.

Can post the output from Speedtest?

I’m wondering if it’s worth temporarily disabling Windows firewall as a quick test to see if that is causing the issue.

1 Like

I fear you might be on to something, when doing the speedtest I will either get a “socket-download01” error at the end of the download test or it will try to connect to the upload test forever.

I just updated the routers firmware and disabled windows firewall, but same issue. Give me 5 min and I will try connecting directly to the ISP provided gateway.

At the moment I agree it looks like a networking / connection issue…

You may be right, I can run the test on broadbandspeedtest .ie, no problem, and the network in general seems to be working fine, but then again I have never had a problem with Ooklas test before.

I can do some portforwarding, if you can tell me which to forward.

Otherwise thank you for the great support, I’ll see if I can get a hold of Virgin Media tomorrow.

2 Likes

Did you have any luck with Virgin Media?

I didn’t get a chance to come in contact with them, but I did manage to test the connection by tethering to my phone. Booted up the game and it loaded in a second so it’s definitely my connection.

Thanks for all the help.

4 Likes