Suggestion for Maintaining Color Rarity and Rental Planets to have more color options

Time gating (Which I’ve seen used practically in every sort of game known to man) is an artificial way of prolonging the amount of time the game gets played. The problem with some of Boundless’ current time-gating (Color availability, crafting timers) that I have is I’ll just pick up the game, slot in crafts for X, Y, Z, and then log out again and go play something else. For me that doesn’t help keep me interested in the game.

2 Likes

Pretty much what this comes down to is the scarcity folks vs the people who want colors.

A compromise makes sense. And it seems like a compromise is what we’ll get.

Again though I want to remind people - the more color scarcity we have in the game, the more people will flee to creative worlds when they become available. If people want to have more scarcity (and if they get what they want), that means more people will “quit” the main universe and live permanently in creative.

Personally, I’d like less scarcity (but not none). It doesn’t have to be all-or-nothing.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

We don’t know how many colors are available for sovereign worlds.
Cause we don’t know how many are locked behind exo palettes.

I wasn’t arguing actual numbers @Tagris proposed. So 50 locked as rare and the rest available for sovereign worlds. Only pointed out that the situation seems to be as described in the suggestion. Some colors locked and some available.
We don’t know how far the 50 vs. 205 is from current set up in live universe.
Maybe we are closer to that proportion than we think.

James made it sound like he got 200 colors by RNG not necessarily due to colors being locked. Though I think we can all agree some colors are locked (luminous and vivid particularly). We’d have to hear from him to know more.

This is a stupid thing for me to say but I just want to be clear for everyone (not necessarily aiming this at you, boundmore, just replying to what you wrote).

The public-facing palettes (they may have others) are at least named by profile. And none of them are named after exos. Now yes, there are 1 each for umbris, rift, and blink but what’s meaningful about this is that if we get to use T7 sovereign worlds it seems we’ll get to use their palettes as well.

Release palettes:
Profiles:
Lucent non-exo profiles for T7/T8 (the dev files start at T0 but we call those T1):

In other words, the colors locked by exos are only that way because we don’t have perm T7/T8 worlds at the moment. They’re not locked merely to the concept of exos. Again, just a very tiny semantics thing that might have a HUGE impact on color scarcity if we are allowed to get T7s.

Its been stated that exo colors will be excluded from sovereign worlds.

You missed his point. There’s colors that are potentially locked for us never be able to get if we can’t make t7/t8 worlds. As there is colors that will only show up in those profiles.

1 Like

Exactly. With the opposite also being true. If we can make them, we can eventually unlock those colors. Here’s hoping they’re unlocked!

We might be able to create t7 and t8 sovereign worlds (as profiles) and still not get exo colors.
What I’m saying is its possible some colors will be locked for behind t7 and t8 and sovereign t7 and t8 might be a limited version of actual public t7-8 profiles.
EDIT: based on devs posts and some leaked info (second hand) so I’m putting an asterix next to it.

1 Like

Yep this could be! Entirely possible they have their own internal palettes that will release to WB as the Sovereign World release gets launched.

But even in that case there still would be a public version of the palette to use with those T7s and T8s so it’s not nothing!

There is a lot of guessing around this so… we might have a situation like in the suggestion already existing and we don’t know about it.
That was the only thing I was trying to say.
It’s not to make @Tagris idea look unwanted or to disregard its foundation.

1 Like

For the people against color rarity. What if the colors were available with Actual rarity? Like. Black gleam can spawn in singles, in sets of 5. So black gleam is something you could REALLY grind for but it would be much harder than say, the gigantic spheres of gleam that give you a hundred at a time, which would be worth less because it’s easier to obtain. So Actual rarity rather than them just withholding the colors entirely?

I personally know at least a handful of people that would spend hours upon hours of farming it even that way. Including myself. Screw the hammers. I’d like the black glass panes. Among the lighting that it brings as well.

Plus the amount of people that would be willing to buy the black gleam opens up more coin flow to others that like to regen farm. People think non color rarity would be bad for the economy. Personally I think it’d be better. More people buying the basic blocks because they don’t want to farm it themselves. Also finished blocks for the people who don’t like crafting. More tools being sold. Plus the building side means more chisels and grapples being used which again falls with tool sales. Then
Some of those builders might be a few blocks short and go buy the paint or blocks themselves. It goes on.

3 Likes

I’m not sure what the fascination people have with black gleam is but yes this is true rarity. Not artificial rarity in that it’s only rare because it isn’t spawned.

If it’s a pain in the ass to farm meaning there’s an immense amount of grind required for it, then that makes it rare and monetary worthy as it requires time to acquire, and time is money.

My test world right now has sheets of azure gleam in one region and then the other region a few away the gleam is 2-3 pieces in diagabol stone columns. A complete bear to go after in my opinion.

But there is no control over that as the RNG system could decide to just put black gleam in a huge mountain like the green gleam on they McRib (I think I saw it called that) planet.

Let all colors spawn, and whatever we get we get. Irony being we would probably have some ugly colors that had ‘rare’ spawns in that they were limited in the way they had spawned and then highly coveted spawns that were formed in large mountains or fat tree trunks. Thats the thing with an RNG generation system, you don’t know what’s going to happen.

I think you guys overcomplicate this. Pretty sure they use same palette for exo or perm world atm and will be the same for sovereign world.

2 Likes

Yep, I mentioned that already. The only question is if we can rent T7/T8s :grin:

1 Like

oh yeah i missed read a bit your post. Anyways every colosr from the rift/umbris/blink palette can be spawned in the lower tier palettes. It just that these palettes are focus heavy on a part of the spectrum of colors.

1 Like

I personally have no fascination with black gleam but it’s the thing everyone knows it’s rare so I just use it as my example when speaking of color rarity.

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I meant, it wasn’t directed at you, only that you brought it up so I was speaking in the generality that so many people constantly use that as the rare one to talk about.

A lot of people want it for glass as it’s the one that looks great no matter the environment or blocks you are pairing it with. Also the lighting that passes thru is more natural instead of being influenced by the glass color. And on the side of goo it opens up more mutations so it’s also sought after because of that.

5 Likes