Suggestion for Maintaining Color Rarity and Rental Planets to have more color options

Currently: Rental planets are allowed colors that already exist in the universe and colors that other rental planets have unlocked.

The trouble I see with this is that later rental planets will always get more options, but the design of rental planets is such that it would be labor intensive to move in the future. Many want to buy a rental planet and setup their base on that world and build up the world.

Solution: There are 255 colors. Designate 50 colors as ‘rare colors’ and have them be the hallmark for Gleambow and other block rare drops in the future (adventure planets and random loot chests).

These 50 rare colors will have a higher chance of dropping during Gleambow, and be known to the universe as ‘rare’ and for natural blocks will be obtainable via goo farming.

The other 205 colors can be selected on planet creation for rental worlds. This will give a wide enough variety that anyone buying a planet will be able to get whatever they want.

This will also prevent rental planets bought early from having less options then later planets…as all rental planets will have the same pallet to choose from.

Even if the rental planets ‘boom’ in popularity, Exo planets will still be viable as they will be ‘free’ access to new colors brought into the universe. Simply because a rental planet has a color…doesn’t mean everyone will have access to mine on that planet. Exo worlds will still be viable and of interest.

Players will be given more agency when it comes to color…lets be honest…it is almost 2 years in, some of us have put off major plans based on color themes for almost 2 years. We would LOVE to get access to a wider pallet!

I hope you consider this option! It levels the playing field. Makes colors that are a resource (rare colors) clearly labelled and gives more options to the player base!

<3 Just my 2c

Edit, this feedback is based on this dev post:

3 Likes

This unfortunately isn’t a solution for

What if the plan I have uses colors that the devs decide is “rare”? Am I then boned for the eternity of the game?

No matter what sort of solution you can think of, there’s ALWAYS going to be people on the other side of the fence that will be unhappy with the end result.

1 Like

Not a solution for what?

It seems like this part of Tagris’ suggestion is actually more or less already done…

If this is true then it seems there’s at most 55 rare colors that are locked for Exos and events.

Continue reading the post, including the next quote.

Again, it’s a spurious response. We have no confirmation that the “over 200 colours each” is for the same block type, or spread across all blocks.

That reply was supposed to go to Clexarews (sorry SephirothWS!)

2 Likes

Again, this is why the lack of information on the devs’ part (Roadmaps, plans, details, and so on) is why we continue to get these “What-if” and speculation threads all the time. Can we discuss FACTS instead of constant back-and-forth speculation?

Vague dev responses don’t help either. It just continues to feed the speculation instead of actually clarifying purpose.

1 Like

I think spurious is not the right word. I’m pretty sure the definition implies falseness. We don’t know if it’s false or not, we merely don’t have the right information.

And if that’s not enough, we have this…

So IF (I know, another “what if”) we are allowed to create T7 profile worlds then arguably we have access to all types of profiles and all of the colors will eventually be unlocked.

@SephirothWS I agree we need info. We’re reportedly getting some this week. Think we just all need some patience until we hear it and then I’m sure the forums will go full :poop:storm all over again :rofl:

1 Like

Sorry - I’m a developer, so anything that doesn’t equate to a true is “falsey” to me :joy:

5 Likes

Yes the way I interpreted it is all 255 colors will be available through RNG. So eventually, after enough rentals are purchased, the entire color spectrum will be filled and available for choosing through renting a planet. So. Therefore eventually we should have every color. But NOT instantly.

I tried making a world without a specific color “theme” to see how it looks if anyone is interested

Donkey Kong Country accessible via Jaidic’s base on Dand
Anyone can plot

Even if we could chose any color for our planet doesn’t mean they’d all be available. You do realize how many worlds we’d need for that right

2 Likes

Hey @Tagris

Was just thinking. Isn’t what you suggest already in game?
There are exo colors sovereign worlds won’t offer. I dont know how many. Maybe 50, maybe less or maybe more.

The rest of the colors are available. By chosing a profile for your sovereign world you open a chest of palettes from which the world builder can pick.

There are colors that might be locked for now as designated for worlds tier 8. We don’t know but if there is a group of colors 8 tier exclusive, we probably get them through gleambow event only at the moment.

Summarizing, Sovereign worlds will operate within public worlds tier 1-6 palettes. That will allow us to get new colors. The same way we would get them if there were new public worlds spawning.
There is a group of colors that will remain exo and gleambow exclusive. That’s the rarity through which gleambow and exo worlds and goo farming remain needed as part of gameplay.

2 Likes

No it’s not. As we don’t have 200 colors we can choose from when creating our world. We can only chose the current colors on the public planets(also colors are per block type so black rock being available doesn’t make black foliage available) and have the potential of getting random colors on the creation of the world before we lock the colors in.

1 Like

Within the current design I fear the only solution for those who truly need the exact shade of a color is for them to wait for others to make their sovereign worlds and unlock more colors. I’m sure someone will build some handy tool that keeps track of all of the available colors.

Without knowing more about which specific shades are locked that’s about all we got.

1 Like

Also just wanted to point out real quick that there’s been no clarification as of yet as to whether or not the non-exo T7 world builder profiles will be usable for sovereign worlds. But it’s a possibility that those could be available since they do exist.

I doubt it unless they come without lucent gems.

If they dont want to give us more colors because exos would become useless, then the same applies to lucent gems.

Minus they’ve said we will have perm t7 and t8. So it’s still a matter of time till we have those always available. Common theme going on I guess. Time time time time time

1 Like

Time gating (Which I’ve seen used practically in every sort of game known to man) is an artificial way of prolonging the amount of time the game gets played. The problem with some of Boundless’ current time-gating (Color availability, crafting timers) that I have is I’ll just pick up the game, slot in crafts for X, Y, Z, and then log out again and go play something else. For me that doesn’t help keep me interested in the game.

2 Likes

Pretty much what this comes down to is the scarcity folks vs the people who want colors.

A compromise makes sense. And it seems like a compromise is what we’ll get.

Again though I want to remind people - the more color scarcity we have in the game, the more people will flee to creative worlds when they become available. If people want to have more scarcity (and if they get what they want), that means more people will “quit” the main universe and live permanently in creative.

Personally, I’d like less scarcity (but not none). It doesn’t have to be all-or-nothing.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

We don’t know how many colors are available for sovereign worlds.
Cause we don’t know how many are locked behind exo palettes.

I wasn’t arguing actual numbers @Tagris proposed. So 50 locked as rare and the rest available for sovereign worlds. Only pointed out that the situation seems to be as described in the suggestion. Some colors locked and some available.
We don’t know how far the 50 vs. 205 is from current set up in live universe.
Maybe we are closer to that proportion than we think.