Suggestion: Reward for bug finders

On various forums where I used to do beta testing there used to be tags for bugs found, or especially big ones, or especially helpful things people did. It would be a nice extra for the forums and some people probably actually check their awards. Maybe even some in-game bug hats for people who find enough bugs. Other than spiders.

2 Likes

No bro personally I do not like this idea the forum wil be spammed with bugs and I guess u get the ā€œunfairā€ naming because maybe someone saw the bug as wel and who wil get it at the endā€¦both? Also wont be a good invite for new players.

I think (know) testing and bugs should be done in the testing server and bugs should be found and fixed there and those bugs should not be even in the live servers. If its stil there wel ā€¦you had one job! Whatā€™s a test server for? Throwing parties?

Also not to forget we know ps4 players and pc players experience different bugs
Maybe if the ps4 players had the option to join a test server then I think rewarding those that join the test servers to find bugs yes then it wil be the right thing to do since itā€™s a testing server and prevents you from actually playing.

Finding bugs in the live game servers is like being rewarded for maintenance due to bugs (the idea I had)
It also prevents you from your actual gameplay because of the bugs. and time is money and limited

Ofcourse bugs are being found and itā€™s normal but itā€™s our duty to report em at no cost, Because it wil benefit us all

Just my 2 cents

3 Likes

Surely there is already a reward?

Making the game better and more stable for everyone

:man_shrugging:

12 Likes

@DKPuncherello Nope, I honestly donā€™t think itā€™s healthy to reward bug-finding.

Sure, the way @Stretchious put it may sound zealous (no offense, man), but it is what it is : ā€œfor the greater goodā€. You canā€™t and shouldnā€™t be expecting a reward for every helpful thing you do.

Wouldnā€™t be alright if there was competition over bug-finding. Iā€™ve already seen how people can get over prestige competition. Like, whatā€™s next? A special reward for guild leaders who organize hunts?

Not that it wouldnā€™t be deserved, far from it, but imagine the behaviors that would create.

Maybe the devs can reward some legit extra-helpful players if they wish to do so, but Iā€™d prefer it to be a secret, on the down-low, hush-hush.

2 Likes

Donā€™t worry Iā€™m not insulted, nor would I let it affect my ability to help moderate these forums.

Me being a moderator also has no bearing on my opinions ā€¦ opinions, of which, are my own.

I certainly wouldnā€™t be a hypocrite and not let others have an opinion and voice them either.

5 Likes

Abusive behavior on these forums will not be tolerated - please refrain from doing so.

Iā€™ve set the topic to be reopened in 2 hours, as others may well have views on this topic and want to contribute in a constructive manner.

Iā€™ve done some hand-wavey forum magic and removed the abusive comments from this thread. Shall we continue?

Iā€™m still on the fence about the bug-finding thing, but I wouldnā€™t want this thread to be abandonned. Itā€™s still quite an interesting topic.

What if there was a cosmetic reward for being a regular member on the forums?
Something that wouldnā€™t be competitive.
Iā€™m not sure, but the Regular title on the forums is awarded systematically. But could it send some info to the game?
If this could be automated, and you could get, say, a Wonderstruck-themed body-paint?

Although there would still be the risk of people spamming ā€œ10 charā€ posts until theyā€™d reach the Regular unlockā€¦ :confused:

The forum is dynamic enough to take account of that. There are hooks that tie between the game and forums (ie backer ranks, etc) but nothing for for other forum awards. Personally Iā€™d rather the game world not have rewards tied to external sources like forums or discord activities.

2 Likes

I disagree if you look at the community as a whole theres plenty of people that dont use the forums at al , this way you kinda force them to use the forums for an reward? I know you should not reward them for anything outside of the game but you could to however reward them from within the game

I was kinda spitballing, there. :sweat_smile: (Iā€™ll admit, Iā€™m kinda playing devilā€™s advocate here, trying to find ways to make the original idea work)

I donā€™t think one could say that weā€™re forced to do things to get a cosmetic reward, ever.
You get it if you want to.

Lots of games have promotional things going on, like ā€œplay this game to get a special reward in this other gameā€.
I could give lots of examples related to WoW, like the big vote campaign they did to decide which bike they had made was the coolest looking, and the players who voted got the winning bike for free, while the team that lost would have to pay for their bike.
Then thereā€™s all the promotional stuff related to trading cards. The promotional thing where you get a special character in Hearthstone for playing a little in WoW. All the goodies you get for having a BlizzCon ticket, which will often be in-game cosmetics with the BlizzCon logo on them. Lots of things like that.

Heck, think about it, in a way, isnā€™t the Wayfarer totem some kind of reward received for doing things outside of the game?

IF itā€™s something thatā€™s very ā€˜nicheā€™, like a body-paint with the logo of Wonderstruck on the back (kinda like the BlizzCon thing mentioned above), people arenā€™t necessary all gonna be like ā€œIā€™m compelled to get it!ā€.

Plus, the game could profit from more people coming on the forums. I would kinda see that as a plus.