Suggestion: steep and shallow chisels

Oh boy …
… that would be really nice :+1: :+1:

We asked for them many times
May be one day, who knows :wink:

1 Like

While I’d love these shapes (they’re definitely the one that I most notice we don’t have while building), I’m not sure how they could be accomplished with chiselling as it currently works.

The existing chiselled blocks can only be one thing, based which corners are chiselled and which chisel is used. (I’m not sure exactly how the lattice chisels work, but I’m assuming the fact that they only have 6 ‘legs’ instead of 8 corners allows for the space to store thickness data).

I think if we wanted something like this, we’d need to be able to show how chiselling specific corners results in specific shapes.

See first post :blush:

True but it doesn’t work like the current chisels do.

There’s only difference between the shallow black box and steep red box is rotation, not shape. That just feels weird and unintuitive, and given past conversations about potential new chisels, I don’t see them going for it (Not that I’d mind at all if they did).

Also, if different chisels can result in the different rotations of the same shape, it does kind of rule out any kind of rotating chisel, because that would confuse everything.

People want rotation chisel to rotate the textures only fyi

1 Like

Possibly… but what people want and what they’ll get are not necessarily the same thing.

the more shapes the better. I too often miss these slopes from other games.

4 Likes

As someone who likes to build complex roofs these would be incredibly useful. But I’m not a coder/dev so not gonna even contemplate how difficult it would be to implement.

1 Like

Not that difficult if ppl wanted them

Could add diagonal lattice too without too much trouble

Blink chisel: steep slope
Umbris chisel: shallow slope
Rift chisel: diagonal lattice?

Feel free to correct me @lucadeltodecso if it would be crazy hard to code (the steep and shallow chisels, at least)

as already stated and quoted higher

• physics doesnt support shallow/steep sloped angled surfaces (its optimised for the specific angles that can occur in the existing geometry, so need physics work/extra cost to support more general shapes)
  • either its very restrictive (literally just the slopes as shown) or need a fully consistent set of shapes including all possible corner shapes and other combination shapes that let you create a full configuration that atleast works within the set of shapes producible, and if it requires more than 8 bits of data to define… then need a lot more work to allow chiseled shape data to leak out into block-ids as well to have enough space…
    ^- assuming its literally just shallow slopes as shown (rotateable into other directions to get “steep slopes” too) and “NO” corner pieces or more complex chisel arrangements (like shallow chiselling a slope into the top “and” bottom of a piece), then sure wouldnt be too hard to define the shapes data and get it working assuming the physics work was done first and can imagine how the chisel interaction would work to produce them in-game (chisel an edge of a face to “push it down” into the top piece of a shallow slope, then chisel the other side to make it a “slab”, then chisel again to make it into a “bottom piece” of a shallow slope allowing you to get both in any orientation via a chisel interaction)… as soon as you want to make it more generic and allow for corner pieces etc etc then it immediately increases a huge amount the unique shapes that you can create and that need to be defined, and definitely wouldnt fit in 8 bits so is going to be a bit insane to implement… its effectively a slope chisel but at half-precision so its defined by not 8 corners but by 8 corners + 12 “mid points” on the edges, so effectively 20bits required to encode all the possible shapes you would imagine as being possible…
4 Likes

I always wanted to say this line:

I told you! :laughing::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Don’t be a Buugi

I can think of a way to encode it using 8 bits like the current slope chisels work. I think.

Steep slope and shallow slope just have to be separate chisel types.

steep and shallow are the same thing rotated? (or alternatively chiselled from a different direction)

They are the same thing rotated, but you’d have to use different chisels for them.

Red circles indicate 6 corners removed (based on the current “8 corners of the cube” system the game currently uses). Blue wedge is the shallow slope

If you remove the same 6 corners with a steep slope chisel, you get a different shape (the green Steep slope wedge)

Sorry for the poor finger drawing btw. Those wedges should go up to 0.5m max height

Here’s what the other pieces would look like to make “complete” ramps

if all you want is “basic slopes” and no more complex shapes or corner pieces, then you can do it with 6 bits of meta, youd remove edges, not corners (as soon as you are “removing corners” you need corner pieces and more complex shapes definable).

2 Likes

Corner piece: 7 corners removed

Blue is shallow
Green is steep

But I’d accept even just the ramps I outlined initially (using non precise chisels / removing edges instead of corners)

The ability to have steep and shallow slopes would truly do wonders in terms of design

Both for roofs and for hubs/cities for roads

I do recognize it’d need physics. Coming up with a way to make it chiselable I think is doable though, either with edges or corners.

1 Like

5 corners removed: transition slope to half slab

I only drew steep slope here

Also, obviously not every possible shape could be done with 8 corners. But I think enough could be.

I suppose the 5 corners I removed could alternatively be this:

I can see how there are issues, but something should be possible, even if it’s only 6 bit ramps with edges removed

1 Like

Thank you Luca for this information.
It confirms my thoughts as said in this post …

… A full set with matching chisels gonna be a lot of :boundless: work for you guys.