Suggestion: steep and shallow chisels

This would be a literal game changer as far as creative possibilities, and shouldn’t be too hard to implement. I know the big issue with many chisel ideas is how to implement in game. @lucadeltodecso?

steep%20and%20shallow%20slope%20chisels
Shallow: black box shows a side view with 6 corners precise chiseled (or 3 corners non-precise). Red box shows a side view with 2 corners precise chiseled (or 1 corner non precise)

Steep: Red box shows a side view with 6 corners precise chiseled (or 3 corners non-precise). Black box shows a side view with 2 corners precise chiseled (or 1 corner non precise)

Half slab would work the same as with bevel chisel.

(I should have rotated the other direction oh well, you guys get the idea)

Can someone mock up what this might look like in 3d? Perhaps @dulki?

This would allow for:
All kinds of cool art possibilities - better roofs, better spheres and circles, and more
Steeper, more compact ramps/stairs in builds, helping (slightly) with compactness
Shallower, more elegant ramps/stairs

12 Likes

In one of the many new chisel tools threads one of the devs said that the problem with more new chisels is that they need to add a lot of new blocks, because each block need an alternate version for every chisel combination and then you have color variations and that takes time.

I agree that having more chiseling options would be cool

3 Likes

You can do shallow roof using bevel and chisel epic. You can do steep kinda with slope

3 Likes

Um, are you sure?

Best i found was this, but seems like he is focusing more on combination of chisels.

But you get the idea, more chisels mean more work lol.

Who knows we may get a new chisels eventually? We got the fence like boon which o forgot it’s name lol

1 Like

Yeah that sounds like a different issue. Let’s see what the great @lucadeltodecso says!

10 Likes

@DKPuncherello
I know I like to see these block shapes to
But I think it ain’t gonna happen soon;
… way to much extra block shapes and block data to handle.
Great idea though :grinning::+1:

1 Like

You’re like a magician! When someone asks for a specific shape or item, “Poof” you’ve made it appear out of nowhere less than a few seconds of reading later! Always an amazing job @Dulki!!!

5 Likes

@DKPuncherello
I assume you want it to be fully rotatable

Then you need 48 new shapes

Can you imagine what is needed if you also want the matching corner pieces …

I think @james certainly doesn’t want to know that … :sunglasses:
It would be fun for us to build with these blocks :boundless:

11 Likes

I’ll admit, miss this sort of thing from space engineers

2 Likes

How about a point to point chisel then…? Where the slope is defined by the beginning point and the end point…?

2 Likes

Bumpy bump

That’s probably impossible :thinking:

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a bit more basic than a voxel unit but wouldn’t play nice with a voxel world.

1 Like

That’s for sure, you could slope blocks from bottom and top at the same time!

1 Like

Just wanted to resurrect this thread, since I just watched a Hytale video and Hytale has these slopes

They look amaaaaaaazing for roofs and ramps

2 Likes

Oh boy …
… that would be really nice :+1: :+1:

We asked for them many times
May be one day, who knows :wink:

1 Like

While I’d love these shapes (they’re definitely the one that I most notice we don’t have while building), I’m not sure how they could be accomplished with chiselling as it currently works.

The existing chiselled blocks can only be one thing, based which corners are chiselled and which chisel is used. (I’m not sure exactly how the lattice chisels work, but I’m assuming the fact that they only have 6 ‘legs’ instead of 8 corners allows for the space to store thickness data).

I think if we wanted something like this, we’d need to be able to show how chiselling specific corners results in specific shapes.

See first post :blush: