[Suggestion] Tool to move chests with their contents

How long would the stores stuff remain in the stores state? Indefinitely I hope!

Awesome, that’s what I was expecting to happen. I like the idea a lot :smiley:

2 Likes

Back to the OP’s idea.
What if the penalty is that once the tool has picked up it’s payload of storage(s) you are unable to perform any other actions except eating? I’d also suggest that you gain a status effect noting the state you are in with a tooltip of instructions.

2 Likes

As discussed before I do like this option as long as it is the whole beacon or something like that since no user can easily select what blocks they might use in their building of the new location. I do still feel that we need a true “cut/paste” option for users that are not wanting to build something new in that location and instead want to literally lift and shift their build (within reason) to another spot or planet. Without the cut/paste feature those that might have to use this feature to “move” end up just having another grind of having to rebuild.

In regards to the OP, though, I do personally love the idea of a tool that allows me to move a whole chest and its contents from one spot to another. There have been many cases where I put stuff in one location and then wished I had put the chest somewhere else. Instead of having to run back and forth I could just pick up the whole thing and move it. I don’t know how chests “hold their stuff” but it would be nice to have that movable especially if we ever want carts/boat or some other way to transport our chests. I could see trade being executed like this.

3 Likes

Woule have/still would save me a lot of hassle. I moved my home recently and on one world had 2 1k+ beacons and 2 shops. I have moved all the machines, coils and crafting mats but still have probably 300-400 stands and storage cubes of exo rock/gleam etc…plus another 50 for non exo. The thought of moving this solo is soul crushing as it has taken a month to build and move so far.

1 Like

Copy and paste seems too easy.

I could build a large base on starting world in easy terrain and then insert the whole thing on a top tier world in crazy tough terrain, saving myself any terraforming, working around lava, fighting off aggressive creatures etc.

There would have to be some kind of limitations like moving beacons between worlds of the same tier only.

I think if all blocks placed within transferred beacon are available and waiting for you to be used in a new spot, that’s good enough. Get it out of the special storage, that James has mentioned, and build your new base.

2 Likes

See, I read this and my brain went right to; “I’ll just grapple my way around then.”

Though one could also just toss the item around like any other block if that was the case.

A better idea would be forcing you to wield the totem-tongs while carrying a chest.

1 Like

It would be really useful, too useful - you’d end up having a huuuge inventory as most of the slots would be chests like in Minecraft with shulker boxes. Too over powered imo, I didn’t like being ‘forced’ to carry everything in boxes (by forced I mean something being SO useful that you’re at a huge disadvantage if you don’t use it)

Or to a lower level…

In modded Minecraft I have that option (to carry hundreds of extra slots) but don’t often use it, maybe it’s just me that doesn’t find it fun to manage even more slots of mess. :man_shrugging: At most I usually have one or two extra bags, one for tools and one for building blocks, often; I don’t like managing them though, nor do I like having a full-inventory of bigger inventories inside the inventory.

But like others have suggested, a restriction or limitation as to what you can do in terms of actions could be a good way of preventing that feeling of being forced to join some thousand-slot meta anyway. No point in it then.

1 Like

I like the idea of being able to move storage in the situation of “oh damn I need to move this full storage block a few blocks to the left” - I think your idea in relation to that is a great one, all I’m opposed to is the thousand bag meta :slight_smile:

Maybe being able to move storage blocks within a beacon by pushing/pulling it (I’m thinking Portal (game) style).

I think if they added the ability to name your chests and select them on beacon options and transfer them to other beacons would be the only viable way to do this without ruining things, or perhaps allowing you just to carry one at a time like you would normally in RL but move really slowly like it wouldn’t be in your inventory at all your hands would be holding the thing and moving it.

It wouldn’t be. Right now the tech might only be a plot or 2x2 at a time. Additionally the coding could allow the copy/paste to only work on same tier or lower. That would stop the concern you raise.

1 Like

the game of kings, they say

I’d imagine the area would have to be flat as well. Like any other game that has a unpack/build option. Area has to be clear and have room to unload.

1 Like

I very much like how much thought went into the post and enjoyed the ups and downs of the argument however this much time and effort to be put into an item that would rarely see use. Other then moving day moving day or campout spots, most people may never use, need, want, or think about. I would assume this helps the resource rich 1%. I couldn’t get behind this cause of an item, I would rather have a high level feat completion or hitting level 200 would give you room for a backpack and expand your inventory upwards of double for that character.

Rather then add in new stuff, recipies, tools, forges, and game physics with a new task for the Dev’s that will take them much precious time an honest look at achieving something to extend inventory slots should be the real need.

This feature would be super handy, if it’s possible.

1 Like