[Suggestion] Tool to move chests with their contents

Recently I went through a massive move of my base, and I always find that whole process to be quite annoying, in good part because if I want to keep all my stuff, I have to store everything somewhere, which results in a bit of a mess, for me.

Moving so much stuff is not simple and feels like a massive chore. It took me over two weeks just to store everything I wanted to keep. It made me feel punished for actually playing the game and amassing stuff.

However, there is still a lot of stuff near where my old base used to be, just stored in the new chests for the most part, but also stored in storage blocks. Even at my new place I have a lot of chests littered about in a way I’m not satisfied with.

I was remembering while doing stuff at my new place, that for Minecraft, there is a mod that allows the player to craft a tool with limited uses that can pick up any chest AND its inventory, to be moved to any other location.

I always like to have that mod as part of modpacks I play in Minecraft.

Here’s the summary of that mod from the page linked above:

This mod adds a new item to the game: Chest Transporter. This item allows you pick up a chest with its items and place it somewhere else. (…) But while you have a chest in your inventory, you dig and walk slowlier, have more hunger and can not jump over one block. (…)

Currently, moving a 32 slot chest that is full has become something of a nightmare already, since that is the same amount of space as our characters have, but including a hammer or totem to break the chest and then having to carry the chest itself too, the minimum amount of space required in your inventory to move a fully used 32 slot storage would be 34 slots of free space, which of course is impossible as things are!

My suggestion then, would be for a new craftable tool that works in a similar way as the highlighted mod above. It would let you pick up one unique individual storage block, chest or shelf, and the tool would have a limited number of uses based on its material. Could start at 2 uses for a wood tool and end up at 50 uses for a gem tool and up to 100 for lucent tools. Or whatever the devs would feel is “balanced” for the cost of making these tools.

In my mind the tools would have the same cost/requirements as crafting spanners.

I made a crude 30 minute concept art for what the tool could look like:

When picking up a chest it would use up one unit of durability, using none when placing it back down. This would make it so that effectively 1 durability == 1 use.

17 Likes

It could be a totem (another boon, yay! Lol) Similarly to door programing spanner, it would have only a fraction of original tool durability.

When you break a storage unit of any type (including machines and shop stands), it lands in your inventory taking just one slot. It remembers its content and has it all inside when you place it again.
To not make it OP it could be impossible to smart-stack storages with items inside. So with just the storage moving totem in the inventory, a player would be able to move 31 full storages at once.

1 Like

There’d need to be a serious downside to having one in your inventory, or you could essentially have 1500+ inventory slots.

2 Likes

I did think of a forging alternative, and sure enough I’d prefer that over the current situation of no option at all… But I do think too much stuff gets thrown into the forge additions bin and for something like this, it would feel to me as though it was a quick band-aid and that might not necessarily be the best thing to do in the long-term.

Tool or forge addition, it would be something else to craft and sell for some people, I suppose.

In the situation of the tool, the tool itself would carry the chest on it, I would think, so that would keep all data inside the tool itself anyway; plus, it would mean you could have 32*9 (288) worth of chests in a character if you were so inclined… :sweat_smile:

Like in the mod for Minecraft, carrying a chest could reduce your speed by a certain x% per chest carried, say 10-25%, so you could only carry so many for example, up to 3 or 4 at a time, otherwise you wouldn’t be able to move at all.

Either way, storage has to be placed in beaconed areas, so I’m not sure that would be a massive issue, would it? People already use multiple characters to take stuff away from their main mining character while doing mining sessions… It wouldn’t be too different from that situation.

But for anyone that doesn’t do that, currently we can already just pop a small beacon next to a mining spot and continuously come back to it and drop off stuff in large chests if we wish anyway and sort it out later and/or only grab the ores etc…

But if you can double your inventory size with a simple speed penalty (ornate gleam chests are what, 48 slots?) I don’t think it’d be harsh enough, so carrying such a setup while mining would become the norm. Carrying a beacon control and a fuel stack would be a minor inconvenience compared to the gain. Imo the penalty would have to be strong enough so it’s not the go-to setup for all activities.

That’s fair enough. It is a reasonable concern, I think.

Can you (or anyone else too) think of any potential penalty that might work/feel balanced? Other than simply limiting the amount of chests carried at maximum, any other penalty I can think of, I can also think of a workaround for. :thinking:

Either way, I feel that if there are too many penalties or inconveniences to such a method of moving storage, then there may be no point in having it at all anyway, because then it ends up feeling like a chore to use it anyway. :confused:

The thing is, at the moment, even without the ability to move chests, with a minimal amount of setup you could already easily put a beacon next to a mining spot and set up some warps so that moving their contents is just as trivial and cost-free back to your base; but that requires setup and by definition is also an exploit of an unintended behaviour with how warping works… I don’t know anyone that uses this for mining, but the possibility to hoard thousands of freshly mined materials in a small amount of space with quick travel convenience is already possible.

In an ideal world I’d rather such convenience exploits were simply non-existent and that we were just able to move our stuff, regardless of what that stuff is, with tools provided by the game itself in a legitimate way. As I said in my OP, at the moment, I feel punished for “hoarding” blocks and building materials.

1 Like

I feel the pain and would welcome a tool like this, but I also think it’s a bit different from a beacon warp setup since it’s 100% portable and lives in your inventory.

Maybe you can’t use tools while you have such a chest in your inventory? Or can’t jump? Or some combination, like slower movement per chest and can’t use tools?

1 Like

Ok, let’s all agree we need back packs. :grin:

We have explored a system for allowing players to collapse a beacon and then get the blocks + items from a special storage on another world.

So it’s would work as long as you wanted to take the entire beacon.

23 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

That could work maybe. If we’re moving chests, we probably don’t really want to be using other tools anyway? Restricting grapples and block-breaking tools perhaps… Not sure what would be best though. I think restricting jumping completely might be too much, depending on where you’re moving the storage.

Lock it to the hand the tool is in… you’re either holding it or placing it no inbetween

1 Like

That would have helped massively for my move really. As I said in the OP, I still have a lot of stuff on the same area as my old base, stuff that I likely won’t move so soon because of the distance and its non-urgency, plus I’d still be needing to make an equivalent storage area at the new place.

1 Like

Good point.
Would have to make all storages beacon-placed only. It would make it impossible to abuse on exo trips.

You already can’t place any storage, be it chest or blocks or shelves outside of a beacon though:

Would that work in a similar fashion to the world regen? I’m just wondering if you explored an instant option or a time delayed one.

Thank you so much for this!!
Not sure if this will come soon or not but just knowing about the things you guys have on mind makes my day better.

2 Likes

Nice sketch! I like the idea of a durability of 1.

2 Likes

What would be pretty neat is a cut and paste for the builds within those beacons

THAT would be INSANELY good for people needing to move off world due to numerous reasons, Mainly due to harassment from other players making either a mess of roads or offensive trolling type builds due to some immature grudges towards certain guilds :tea:

4 Likes

Not sure how possible would that be. Matching the terrain and the space wouldn’t be easy.

But being able to pack everything is enough help already! Having to tear down a building/city is already half the process lol

1 Like

All actions must happen over time - as we can’t allow anything to stall the server. Beacons can be any size so the sever, if time was available per tick, would extract gradually.

This could still happen extremely quickly in a matter of seconds or minutes.

So it would be a bit like regen - but regen is configured to happen even slower.

8 Likes