Tank Threat tuning

I believe a good raid starts with the tank. I think we should go “wild” and try adjusting the dial to threat >= 1000% of their damage values using the epic.

If tanks can have “stickier” threat through lower dps, their costs to raid effectively would be more balanced relative to the specialization as well as increase the likelihood that the group can use food buffs that better suit their classes.

At the current stage, I mostly see our high-end tanks running to the middle of the meteor spawn, popping rage brews and grappling. These are both awesome, but I want to see them have the ability to grab stray aggro at their whim without the brew spec (meaning lower levels required to effectively contribute as a tank as well).

I have been on at least one 30+ person hunt per week, and I’ve noticed the role specialization most noticeably falls apart when cuttletrunk waves spawn on higher tier meteors. This is partly due to sheer numbers at times, but also because tanks are lacking the mechanics to effectively regain control of the battlefield. Everyone scatters, and it becomes a respawn and dps race regardless of the amount of support we have through heals and revives.

4 Likes

the range on the rage brew is terrible, even with the threat quirk on an item. You’d have to use like 5 of them just to agro one wave. If you did this you’d go through a whole 50 of them before you finish a single meteor.

And even if you do get agro with the brew, as soon as someone does a tiny bit of damage to a mob you lose agro of that mob.

So basically the tank can’t prevent the DPS from dying. The only thing the tanks really do right now is hold the meteor life. I think this should be improved.

6 Likes

Kinda on/off topic. What exactly makes a hardcore tank? Just your skills or skills and brews/food? I’m trying to make one and not sure where to put my last few skill points. Health is maxed out and slingbow is also. I have armor and resistance maxed too. Not sure if I need that. Would like some input. Thanks

A shield. Lol unless you’re a dark knight then 2 hand sword. Wait…

1 Like

PLD or get out. x)

1 Like

A shield would be great. Forge effect- Reflect- chance of shot bouncing off and hitting enemy.

Boomerang weapon to bounce and hit multiple targets and hold aggro

do u mean aggravating brew? cause fallon was talking of rage brew…

does rage brew give u agro?

well it deals some damage i think, besides other stuff
what u mean is the aggravating brew which increase threat generated? im not sure

the problem are the dps >.<

most people go hunting with only minimum protection but damage epic unlocked… which is pretty good in a 1v1 dps race situation, but not so in a brawl with stronger foes

armour epic keeps u alive in most situations and together with falling armour u can start soloing t5+ meteors. in my opinion every hunter who wanna do high tier meteorites seriously should consider this. for tanking u can additionally do rage brews, dps can use focus brews

in my opinion damage epic is only for miner to dig better and maybe do stealth hunts on smaller prey (and quick levling on lower worlds and somesuch)

go home glass cannons! u dead always

There is two ways about tanking but first you need these skills ; max vitality bonus , health epic, max kinetic/impuls armor , max kinetic/impulse resistance, the protection epic and rage epic. The rage epic one and epic two are optional but they both give a 50% increase in rage gain which means you will gain more rage per hit. The epic one is worth taking because it does heal you for 20 second upon activation. The amount you heal is based on the level of rage you have so rage 1 heals 40 hp for 20 seconds whereas rage 10 heals 1000hp for 20 seconds. The rage epic two does an Aoe attack when you drink the rage brew so at rage 1 it does 2k damage and at rage 10 its 20k damage (it increases by 2k each level so rage 2 is 4k dmg). The radius does seem small though.

At the start, i mentioned there was two was of tanking well the difference lies in the food you use. You can either use shielding or invigorating foods. Shielding will increase your armor and resistance where as invigorating will increase your health. If you have max health (12k hp) with an invigorating pie you will have 24k (an elite wildstock does ~8000 dmg). Both ways have their ups and downs so i invite you try them out an see which you prefer. Hope this helped a little! :wink: .

It doesnt. I wish it did though.

Another interesting way to draw aggro is to use two grapples. You can lock down 2 enemies per tank that way. Once you have them grappled just keep reeling them in and dragging them around and they will attack less. The wildstocks will be on a leash. (You, unfortunately, are the post).

If we had a grapple effect that could make the grapple chain to multiple enemies, and a way to channel effects thru grapples, this would be another fun way to tank.

Channel effect ideas:

• Threat generation
  • Attack slow
  • HP DoT
  • Reduce defense/resist
2 Likes

corrosion food helps tanks much to stay alive

1 Like

That does help. Thanks, i’ll try a few things to see how it goes.

Great info, thank you!

1 Like

Don’t forget there is Mega Aggravating Brew. It draws Agro away from others without having to spec for a full focus Brew. :blush: Not saying either is better, because I think it depends on the build.

Either way… I know a great store who is always stocked with both! :nerd_face: