Testing 199.1: Hot Fix

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll try and get on Testing this weekend.

Now the bombs are useless.
You can do it like this:

• the bombs were expensive in production, but it will be the same as before this patch.
    • it is possible to improve them in forge to prey. Ie to mine fossils, you need to improve bombs in forge. You get a new buff for mining
1 Like

Reduce the max Aoe from 7 to 5.5m, as 5 was enough to feel like making progress without having so much i didnt know what to do with, maybe in combination with bringing back the old armor value so the resource still stay “floating” but they also only give half as much resource as the other user suggested. 7m aoe is absolutely huge on the bombs

Maybe even like redgear said as well where theres a mining boon from special gum (i dont think this gives any boon on bombs anyways?) That makes the bombs work as they did before, leaving resources (by taking into account thier native armor? If thats how it worked), and maybe even combine all 3 ideas so you can make mining bombs at 5.5m aoe that drops 1/2 the resources or something

Are you talking about bomb mining on the test server or the live servers? From what I understand on bomb mining right now it completely destroys all the resources where it blows out. Which makes it useless and I have not wasted my bombs on it.

You can still do it, you just have to try. You just can’t steamroll like before.

1 Like

The only suggestion that I can come up with to bring hammer and bomb mining in line would be to add a forge boon to hammers that increases the amount of resources dropped when breaking a seam with the hammer (kind of like Fortune from minecraft), paired with a debuff from all bombs (applied to the blocks, to counter pairing a bomb miner with a hammer-wielding partner, perhaps calling it ‘brittle’ or such like) that decreases the number of resources dropped from blocks in the blast radius and negates any effect that the luck stat and the extra drops boon would have on it.

The exact value for the increased drops from the hammer boon and the decreased drops from bomb debuff should be calculated from the metrics gathered so far, such that the yields of hammer mining and bomb mining would be adjusted to meet in the middle of the difference between the two pre-199.

7 Likes

I tried to explain before, if you use a bomb you can break part of each seam, which leaves a cross-section of earth, like on mountain sides where you can see ore and fossils.

I bomb mined like this today, I found rubies doin’ it.

It’s not “useless”.

@Steggs101have you guys figure out what is going on with the world tab? I replied to vdragon with a video showing what happens with the places /worlds tab closing out nearly as soon as it was opened. I know he said he wasn’t able to duplicate the issue which is why I posted the video.

1 Like

Yeah I posted a similar idea, but you’re right, if they have the metrics they could figure out the actual balance.

Still though, it’s SO much easier to just 7m aoe bomb, or even 3m aoe bomb than use a hammer, it takes way less time and time = money.

I agree, such mechanics as bombmining can not just be removed. Either complicate in terms of high prices, or hang in forge a separate buff on the prey.

Why would we want to destroy resources? People are complaining about bomb miners clearing out everything. That seems to me like it would cause an even bigger problem since bomb miners would need to destroy a lot more area just to find the gems they need.

3 Likes

Is it possible to like something more than once here? This is important right now. I think I love you.

3 Likes

Nobody canceled the regeneration of the world.

1 Like

It’s great to see some justification and intention behind some of the changes as well as how you’re basing your decisions.

I hope we can keep seeing more of this in the future with other changes.

4 Likes

We know what the issue is. The GUI is resetting whenever a prestige changes on the worlds.

It’s a bug. We’ll get it fixed.

8 Likes

Time is what the end game has to be, RE question in the other thread… talking about this same damn thing haha. <3

Thanks for the update!

As for bomb mining…

You are making their point, @creativeworlds…it was too easy.

The issue seems to be that using a hammer takes too long. So maybe this should be two part solution. Keep the bomb nerf but buff the hammers. Maybe make it easy to add AOE to a hammer or add a speed increase for each higher level of hammer.

Still seems like it would be really fast as it is right now to use a lower powered bomb and then just one hit all the blocks with an AoE hammer.

2 Likes

Let me just say this:

Feature Creep.

To the devs, @james

Be very careful about allowing 3m titanium bombs (which don’t require shimmering orbs), from being so powerful they make any future weapons useless.

With 7m bombs decimating entire mountains, and the speed at which people can use them, this leaves almost no room for content expansions in the game.

How are darkmatter, rift, or blink items goin’ to matter to anyone if they can already blow up entire mountains with existing tech?

Maybe move bomb aoe increases to an even higher tier, and make them cost more to make. I don’t know.

I just don’t want to see this game turn into Yu-Gi-Oh trading card game after 3 months of it releasin’… With such powerful weapons in the game already it leaves no room to add new, exciting content.

I may even consider a new type of item, dynamite as some have mentioned.

Anyway, don’t shoot yourselves in the foot by releasing end-game content that can’t be improved upon. Destroyin’ mountains is already pretty OP…

The most exciting things need to be hard to get, or there’s no motivation for hamster wheel players. It’s a balance.

Edit

If the coolest thing in the game, bomb mining, is achieveable by a level 15 player, what incentive do they have to keep playing the game? Maybe move bomb skills to have a level requirement of 35 or somethin’.

5 Likes

They actually removed the Thermal Sac requirement for crafting the Special Gum (which increases the chance of getting Magnetic and AOE on tools) so it’s now very easy to craft, costing only Gum Base and Viscous Blood. No power requirement, either, but I didn’t notice if that was a change or not. So people can add AOE effects as soon as they’re able to use a forge and make Boon Compound I’s.

This particular quality of life change went mostly unnoticed with all the over-reactions to the last patch.

8 Likes

In my post here I explain it. Strip mining would be more fun if we moved faster through mountains, at least for me, it’s less borin’ if i’m tunnelin’ through pretty fast.

So if progression is evened out, and hammers can more easily 1-shot T5 planets, I think a lot of mining grind would be alleviated, but also, CAVES. I like cave mining, but they aren’t regeneratin’ much anymore :frowning:

3 Likes