Was the game Not Just OFFICIALLY released or NOT?

Ok. Then a more constructive way to approach this is, where should the overall balance be, and does this make a stronger, more gameplay-rich experience?

For you, adding wax to recipes was a step in the right direction: that Boundless is not in a good place balance-wise, and is too easy for everyone to get everything. Adding 1 hour of (someone’s effort in) extra gathering for 1 medium build was a step toward a better experience.
Is this enough for you, or would you rather it go further?

Perhaps in the metaphor I stated, some players were comfortable with the temperature, while you felt it was too cold.

Of course that will always happen. Coming to an understanding of what the majority wants is the only real solution so we can only ever encourage everyone’s voice to be heard. My own two cents are that we are mostly in a good place with a few exceptions, and changes ought to have been in the form of new things rather than revised old things. But that is only me.

“when everyone can get everything in unlimited amounts there would be no trade happening” is a hyperbolic representation of the argument here at best and doesn’t…really help find where we “should” be.

4 Likes

u throwing tantrums about a thing that u shovel out the dirt, easy as picking stuff from the streets and its not that u went for material earlier? Why is wax such an extra effort for you?
You have a gatherer raised, within 5 minutes u are lvl 10, have max agi max luck and u can save for gathering epic
Stuff where u are not skilled yet will seem harder and grindy to get. but the first lvls of an character are so easy. Some people seem bitter that some of their strategy doesnt work, but you can always rethink your ways in this game and adapt

2 Likes

Changing the Prestige values of every material across the board is improving the economy?
Well if your goal is to sell Iron perhaps!!!

The unnecessary destruction of bomb mining beyond the needed Nerf to XP how does that help the economy?
The XP nerf was needed (I lobbied for a bomb mining nerf- Not for the destruction of it completely!)
The deletion of a viable play style that has been part of this game for as long as I can remember is a good thing?

People made plans because the game was now RELEASED… They in some cases bought cubits to get plots in order to reserve tracks of land in order to build there builds. Some people made large machine rooms to then find out they have a bunch of useless machines because Hey lets change how power coils and spark work?!?

People may have been creating giant sky scrappers that included Gleam Lanterns to find out one day that oops your plans have a new wrench tossed into the works…

People made fine Decorative Wood builds in order to raise there prestige up racing against there neighbors for the most prestigious builds to wake up and find there build was now as prestigious as a mud hut…

People have purchased large amounts of Saltpeter because it was a valuable commodity and then one day they woke up to find it became USELESS…

Who wants to play a game when you have no idea if tomorrow your grand machined iron and gleam lantern prestige tower ends up Nerf-ed because random decision that the game needed to change its prestige values for blocks again!

The Point of this post is you can’t keep changing the fundamentals of a game that is suppose to be in a RELEASE STATE… Your only going to anger people if you continue to walk this road…

6 Likes

You hit it on the dot, very well.

I wasn’t here for the Alpha or Beta. I’m a PS4 player. But one of the biggest things that irks me in the game, is the game of grinding right in the beginning with Tools. Wood and Stone you start with just need Stick, Foilage and Wood/Stone. Something you would expect, and you get by cutting trees for wood and mining.

But the very next tier, Copper and Iron, which you get imediantly right afterwords, wants you to also get Sackcloth and Glue. Something very unatural to get. Neither are random drops, and Sackcloth you get from a specific plant, which might not even be on your planet. And Glue needs Sap, which is a rare drop from cutting a lot of trees, and burning it in a furnace with Bone, which you get from killing enemies. Just to craft a very basic Copper or Iron tool.

And like I said, I didn’t play in the Beta, but from what I heard in other Threads, like Wax is a random ingediant added into Decoration Blocks. Sackcloth and Glue were added to Copper and Iron tools. And that they’ve done this before quite a lot during the Beta and Alpha.

So what else are they going to change? Are Ink Leaves not being used enough and stored, so they going to make you use Ink Leaves to craft an ingediant used in creating Gem Tools?

The ‘Progression’ to getting items to craft other items doesn’t feel natural and intuative. And situations like this is a big reason. Just adding random items to a recipie it doesn’t need to be attached to.

1 Like

which beginner planet doesnt have fibrous leaves? also i recommend u getting luck with your material farming characters for sap and such
your feeling of naturality and intuitivity is completly irrelevant for anything and anyone but yourself pls keep it there plsplsplsplspls

1 Like

https://forum.playboundless.com/t/testing-199-1-hot-fix/17949/9

The devs explained themselves. Their post is the good one to express your feelings.

Sorry for your cat.

2 Likes

Every single planet has desert swords and trees to get sap from, usually in abundance.

Desert swords in tier 1 and 2 planets are literally everywhere. The only thing ‘unnatural’ is that they decided to be colorful in their descriptions of things. In almost every survival game out there, you collect some sort of cloth fiber plant to make ropes or twine with, and then to use it as binding for tools.

2 Likes

My only reply to this thread is, where were you during all the forums and threads and discussions leading up to 1.0?

Almost nothing other than visuals was a surprise. Some things were op, and some things became balanced, but nothing since 1.0 changed meta.

there are controversies over fast xp, and making hundreds of thousands on bomb mining and the nerfs that has happened to them. But again not meta changing. And you were here when 1.0 hit, and after. I’ve bought stuff off your stands.

1 Like

As every backer and EA player knows the game was pushed up and we did not have the 6 months wipe and balance time we were supposed to get before the official release wipe.

Due to this early release and increase players we have only been shown more clearly where they are problems with the game and what needs to still change.

I look forward to more complex recipes, cross functional balances, and other things that gives the game a long term win and brings it more in line to what the game would have been released like had we had the time. We can’t stop overall progress to the ultimate goal and balance just because of the untimely release.

7 Likes

Prestige is a pretty big meta is it not???

Prestige values of blocks have completely changed…

Power Coils worked the same way for all of alpha, pretty big part of the meta right???

Now they work different, now machines without a full set of coils are useless…

Bomb Mining and Chiseling were two actual issues the only two actual issues that really needed to be addressed… Chiseling was solved and bomb mining WAS solved with the xp nerf… The removal of it completely is far too far…

Decorative wood, was already nerfed once with the HUGE prestige hit it took… And now its harder to make just because we need a reason to make waxy earth yams usefull???

Here is a concept… Add another recipe !!! You know add content after release of the game!!! Like Titans and Lances, and Hunters and Prowlers and the hordes of content that were suppose to be getting… Not randomly changing stuff for no great reason!!!

I guess to me its a balance of prestige and recipe complications. And I know it was based on player feedback.

They never said the recipe changes were based on player feedback, they commented on wanting to use the items that players had in storage (at least some players) and the developers thinking the recipes were “boring” and they wanted them to be “fun”. I was never asked why had item in storage or if I thought the recipes were boring. I am not having fun with the new recipes I have to gather more stuff even if it is right out side my door I still have to get it. I was not bored with crafting, I am bored that now I have to craft wax before I can craft a decorative block. I had no concerns about items I had in storage. Some items I am saving for a larger build and some to have a standing supply.

I’m sorry, did I miss something in the update? I’ve not found any of my machines to be useless and I’m not aware of any changes to how spark and power works now?! I only have a mix of basic and a few advanced coils, but I don’t feel there’s anything different in any way really.

I think this is part of the problem… I think it’s been far too easy to create those gleam lantern skyscrapers. All I’ve seen at release of 1.0, from the capital hunters thus far, is how quickly can they spam high-prestige blocks. It’s unfortunate now that this will create a potentially insurmountable target for anyone wanting to compete with them for capital status on an existing planet, but newer planets should still be fair game to them. That balance is needed now, moving forward, before it becomes irreversible.

I’ll take all that saltpetre off your hands… we’re using all we have for forging awesome tools &weapons and for making brews… Hardly USELESS in my opinion.

I’m sorry, but this is utter nonsense… Every MMO that I know of has undergone balance changes before, during and after release. Finding an imbalance in the game early on means that it can be better balanced before more players join and those imbalances become much harder to change. Yes, it can be annoying that what you thought you were working towards has changed slightly, but ultimately I think that some of these changes are needed now, not later.

I played WoW for a long, long time… when I first started, things like skills were completely different than the incarnation you see today (to me they are now a much simplified version, so that they could maintain player numbers by appealing to the more casual gamer).

Desert swords are on ALL starter planets. They may have been rarer in the beginning due to an issue with surface resource regeneration… this has since been fixed.

I agree with this somewhat… although I would like to see it kept for those that like that particular play style, I would only want to see it return if the ability to break just rocks and not resources, was made possible via a boon from forging.

Refined and decorative wood had the wrong prestige values from the outset… they were set way too high and were later brought inline with the values of their stone counterparts.

Good reason… Simple reason… balance. There’s no point adding all that new stuff if the rest of the content still needs balance. Now that the player base is bigger than the small subset of players that were in early access, the metrics can better show where that balance is needed.

Me too - very much this!

I came to the party late… sorry for the long post!

17 Likes

Yes there was a change and no you didn’t miss it in the patch notes. There was an undocumented change with how power coils work.

Max time reduction is down from 75% → 50%
Power coils now reduce spark cost by up to 50%
A single power coil no longer gives max reductions to a recipe that doesn’t require power
Spark costs were increased, not too sure how much or if it was all recipes or just some because undocumented change.

Undocumented and unexplained changes really irritate me, hopefully we get more comprehensive patch notes in the future like they’ve done with the 199.1 hotfix notes.

2 Likes

Was it not something to do with this?

2 Likes

Sry to say that, but i really don’t call it balance, i will call it time wasting.
For most mmo, the materials / gears u farm u can use forever until u get the better version of gears.

After that you can decide to sell it or it become completely useless, but usually you can use the gears for at least 1 month - 1 years.

This game is not only mmo but also sand box game as well, the gear we get here we can only use it for like 1-7 days depends on how hard we use it.

There is no reason i spend hours to grind to make a gear i can only use for like 2-3 days…

Also, most of time we want to use those better gear is because we want to increase the grind speed. its works like we use materials we have (Tools) to trade more materials (gems/ metals…etc).

There is no reason i spend hours to grind to have just enough materials to craft the same tools again.

The grind system need to be worth for players to involve, not waste everyone’s time to keep doing the same thing again and again.

This why i call it time wasting instead of balance.

Next, The game shouldn’t be keep changing the basic game play.
This game unlike normal MMo, we need to do the plan first.
Once the change happen we need to spend 100x more time / materials to do exactly same thing again.
For example Prestige change, people plan to use certain materials to remain the hight prestige for reasons.
Because once they lose the warden, they will lose the name of settlement as well.

For group/ community / guild, name is important.

You don’t want to lose your settlement’s name because devs decide to change the prestige value.
Especially plot system is really complicated to connect / disconnect from others. ( especially for large town)

1 Like

But it’s a valid and accepted point of criticism that the release note didn’t contain enough detail.

12 Likes

The bit you quoted from Sulfur about power coils is referring to 198 I believe, not 199.

It was a pretty big change to be completely undocumented anywhere, unless it is somewhere and a bunch of us had missed it.

EDIT: Here’s the quote for clarity.

Well, powercoils reducing spark instead of time, is a core change. you don’t only have to rethink your crafting strategy, but also you may need to redesign the layout of your workshop. And nobody was complaining about this, it’s just came from nowhere. Something that was working well for months on beta, suddenly, they changed it a couple of weeks after release.
This forum it’s becoming a bit difficult, because no matter the topic, the arguments are always the same. The point here is that the game is already released, so the pace of changes need to change. First, bug fixing and optimization, everything else must be done in a more careful way. If they wanted to give any use to some items, just wait some time, think a bit about it, perhaps add decorative blocks 3&4 and put it together on an update with a title like ‘Decorations update’, like most of other games do.
I don’t want to argue about if the changes are good or bad. My concern is about the timing and the way they are managing the changes.

BTW I don’t understand your “can’t” questions. You are trying to say that if they don’t totally remove a feature there is no change?

2 Likes

I have only seen nerfs since release… zero improvements other than bug fixes.

2 Likes