Testing 210: Guilds and Messaging++!

Super hyped for this to come to live. Hopefully testing. Goes extremely well and we get it as soon as possible lol

Limiting the number of factions to 8 makes things difficult.

In Portal Seekers we have members called “Portal Masters” which have permissions to every gateway, but since Boundless is an espionage game we don’t want to just give new people interested in helping full access to all our gateways! What we’ve done in the past is we’ve given specific people access to specific gateways to help out as a starting point, then slowly increase the number of gateways they have access to over time. Currently this requires the gateway owner to add the specific user to the gateway.

With the guild system here, as soon as the gateway beacon is aligned to the guild, we are no longer able to add individual people to said beacon and ONLY said beacon without creating a new faction and aligning that beacon to the new faction. Since we are only allowed to have 8 factions, that means we can have 1 “Portal Master” faction and a maximum of 7 other gateways being worked on by non-“portal master” people.

The only way to work around this limit of 8 factions would be to avoid using the guild system and continue managing permissions on separate beacons. Since there are 48 planets right now, Ideally we’d want at least 49 user groups. 8 is not enough…

@james is there any way this cap can be raised?

EDIT: Or allow the guild to add people on individual beacons if it’s aligned? For example, what if I’m just some guy and I want guild people to help me, but I also want my friend to help. The guild probably doesn’t want to add my friend to every beacon aligned to said faction but I still want my friend or alt to have access to MY beacon. The current guild system doesn’t seem to allow this.

8 Likes

Okay, i was gonna type my message after reading the whole thing, but this.
This is amazing.
One of the little quality of life improvements that just make such a big difference.
THANK YOU!!
It really seems like you thought of everything.

:fearful:
I was considered exploiting the system?!?
my plots aren’t even empty…

wait, so we have to start avoiding places now?
gosh this is sounding like a major nerf…

:sob:

welp… goodbye coin.
it was nice having you…

now I understand this comment.
it is certainly more generous to certain players…
for most of us, it is very mean :slightly_frowning_face:

but i guess, again overall it is a good update. looking forward to the positive changes.

From what I understand, that is not true. Pretty much all that coin pays for oort.

If anyone is on the testing and find the way to donate coins to guild i would appreciate the hint

Why does location indicate a well oiled guild? I can have 30 people in a well organized guild in a remote location and you can have a two person guild with plots adjacent to a portal hub. The small two person guild gets footfall income without any additional effort. The 30 person guild gets no footfall due to location. So no I do not think it is fair. Now does it have to be fair? No it does not.

It all comes down to the way footfall was and is going to be structured. It favors location over effort. That is fine if that is the way the developers want to have the game run. However, I do not think that supports a robust economy. That means a segment of the player base will have the coin to engage in the economy and an advantage in that they can still mine and gather and not need to convert those items into coin in order to participate in the economy. It leaves what I think is a decent segment of the player base to just continue to do everything for themselves by using alts and grouping together. If you want everyone to go to and use stores then everyone needs the same opportunities to earn coin.

5 Likes

yea cuz right now oort is the only real guild resource once the buff system launches im sure the big guild will have no problem diverting coin to it while the newer or little guilds will be hurting depending on cost.

1 Like

Those 30 ppl can generate some footfall by themselves tho. 29* eachothers footfall. Maybe 9 alts each.

I didn’t see anything in the post by @james or @olliepurkiss about how to make sure backers can enter guild names to reserve them before some other member takes them. I assume they have something coming or some what to escalate issues if names are taken by established guilds.

Well if they have permissions on the beacons that are part of the guild then probably not. At least that is the way it works now.

OR maybe add a permissions per beacon in the guild beacon list so we can give permission to a member to an individual beacon.

This way it would be controlled by a single place the “Guild Control” and won’t have to move around the universe to set permissions.

2 Likes

What about building 10k prestige houses around their guildbuilding to generate footfall?

OR, hear me out, we could maybe have a coin generation system that actually rewards people for playing the game. I understand that you are presenting work-arounds for the current system, but having to exploit a system in order to benefit from it smells of poor game design to me.

6 Likes

So your suggestion is they build a footfall machine to game the system? A possibility, but why not just address the footfall system instead of building unnecessary items to game it?

Your idea would probably work, but my preference would be for a different system. Not that I will get my wish.

2 Likes

Until this point, I’ve had zero incentive to build in a second location. Guilds will change that. I look forward to making a nice bit of property next to a builders guild.

My only complaint with the guild system I have is I feel you should have to visit the guild hall daily to get your buffs. Guilds should be major metropolis type places with it’s own shops and lots of foot traffic.

@james, one suggestion. I’d give guild members discounts on any designated shop stands built in the guild hall (guild’s home beacon).

2 Likes

Extremely good job devs !!
The best patch ever !!

Yes i suggested many of these things, coin press, daily quests. But not everyone likes the idea by getting rewarded by being active it seems.

2 Likes

Yeah, it would be good to get some clarification on this. For most guild beacons I expect most of the traffic would be from other guild members, so it makes a big difference whether footfall is generated or not from visits by guild members.

No more searching for them… yay.

4 Likes

Does your beacon need to be adjacent to the main guild beacon (or next to one next to it, etc) to add your prestige or just to be part of the protected settlement?