Testing 218: Exoworlds, Blink, Rift and Umbris!

hell yeeesss !!!
yes

7 Likes

I mean personally I think they are pretty easy to maintain as it is. It’s just a huge nuisance to fill the portals every 4 days.

Also same planet portals are really unfair when it’s bigger than a 2x1. Why should a 2x2 on the same planet drop from 5 weeks to 1 week 5 days. 2 weeks 3 days 12hrs would be more acceptable. 1x2 portals are hard to build for on some of my projects.

1 Like

To me it would be more interesting that regen bombs didn’t work on exo planets on live, or at least on first planets that we get.

Because of how these new planets would have some resources that are rare, we would more likely see some players to use these bombs to lift and bump other players to surface middle of mobs or lava. :confused:

2 Likes

so people will be able to keep 1x2 portals open for 5 months now instead of 5 weeks?

Man you guys think of some mean ways to use regen bombs that I would never think of doing.

The coming Economy machine will give the blocks a base coin value.

We did consider adding 2 new economy machines: A recycling machine that would take bundles of resource and spit out something more valuable, and a coin machine that would spit out some coins.

We have ultimately concluded that the coin machine is the best solution here. (I made a post of the forum a weeks back about what the coin machine would do and why.)

Found it:

and here for comments on the possible recycling machine:

17 Likes

What you’re saying here is already happening… crafting rocks to stone will no longer generate any xp because it has been used and abused by AoE wielding high level players. It will already affect non-forged tools users and low level players by not giving them any xp for the action of crafting that rock.

I agree that we shouldn’t be hurting the basic community, but I see no alternate suggestion from you other than the continued bandwagon of “remove footfall” … “remove mayors” etc.

6 Likes

Yeah nice idea but this makes refined, decorative, brick harder to obtain, doesn’t it?

I think they’re probably on the money with taking the XP out of crafting, as long as it is instant and the lost XP is redistributed into other parts of the game.

I’d rather have less XP than yet more recipes getting a grind bump.

1 Like

This was my feeling too, but I’m not fussed. It’s apparently intended for the well-equipped, grouped, high-level folk and that’s okay. Every game needs content for all kinds of players. I wish there were a bit more new stuff not focused around it but hopefully other player sets will get some soon.

1 Like

Exoworlds can be any level.

Clearly the special material exoworlds will be Lvl7.

But we also plan to spawn L3-L6 as exoworlds as well.

7 Likes

Yeah sorry I wasn’t clear, didn’t think it was needed. I understand that. But the next tier materials will be on the L7 worlds, right? They’re the ones I figure a middling-resourced, solo player won’t be able to manage alone.

That’s okay, the game is fine without those materials anyway so not feeling able to get in on L7 worlds without cheesing deaths doesn’t bother me.

I’m not planning feedback on play experience and viability because it doesn’t feel like the next tier materials are aimed at that playstyle. If that’s not the case I’m happy to take notes next time and feed back on where there may be balance changes needed to make it viable.

Are there new plant types and do they show up on an atlas? That’s what I’d fear being nuked pretty quick.

Anyway, looks pretty exciting for the most part. Got to the stone nerf and the wind went out of my sails somewhat. Admittedly, it was cheap and cheesy. On the other hand, I often felt like leveling 1-50 was longer than it needed to be, exploring and gathering exp were too low, etc. I get the need/want to limit cubits, so we’ll see how it goes.

(Calling it an exploit is probably inappropriate, this wasn’t some massive dupe bug, this wasn’t some lesser bug the devs never knew about, it’s been part of the game for months and months and had multiple threads on this forum explaining exactly how to do it. In gaming exploiting usually = cheating, to me that’s not really what this was or is. Of course, I’m not the king of the world, so say what you want if you want.)

4 Likes

You know that is a cheap attack and unbecoming of you.

I tried to show support of the idea you gave but there was no reason to go there especially since it was a different topic. Longer portal fuel is just the devs caving in to the whining community of people in the game that cannot take 2 minutes to fuel a portal.

And I said remove the link to prestige - not to remove foot fall. Read instead of attacking me because you dislike me for unwarranted reasons. Especially when I have TRIED to solve the issue between us and bridge the gap.

The heat map in the atlas will show a difference between semi-mined areas in the colours it displays, it already happens on the current planets. The scenario doesn’t really change compared to the current worlds, I’ve already spent resources in some mines to hit only rock since somebody was there already and don’t see it as a problem. Unfortunate, yes, but not a problem. The playerbase isn’t large enough to completely mine a whole planet in 10 hours, and I’d assume the spawn time is at least a bit random so some days a planet will spawn just when you hit play.

Also, the resource amount is low enough so the atlas will get noticeably darker in mined areas, it’s not yellow, but light blue in the current maps at least.

And the surface resources don’t regenerate either, do they?

1 Like

Longer fueling of portals (especially the bigger ones) is a needed quality of life improvement. I have better things to do with my time than running to portals every 3-4 days for big ones. This is the reason I never got a bigger portal to avoid that annoyance.
Personally would have preferred a solution like the spark generator with slots equal to the oort per hour but I am also fine with better fuel. 5 month lasting portals vanish the same as everything else when the beacon expires. So no real problem there.

5 Likes

You’re absolutely correct. Call it overpowered, call it unbalanced, even call it cheap if you want. I agree with all three of those terms. Didn’t stop me from grinding rocks tho. Calling it a bug or exploit is wildly inaccurate.

Personally, I’m all for the changes. I feel it will help pave the way for a much needed re-balance in other aspects of XP and crafting (i.e. crafting time reduction on certain existing crafts and amounts of XP gained per craft, for starters.) Persistent-world games need to evolve and adapt. Boundless is no exception.

5 Likes

Except that atlases wont work on exoplanets?

They will work but revert back to an empty atlas when the planet expires.

Yup, they do - but they essentially become useless when the planet disappears as they will no longer show anything.

Ahh okay. that’s not bad then. Thanks for the info!