Testing 218: Exoworlds, Blink, Rift and Umbris!

This was my feeling too, but I’m not fussed. It’s apparently intended for the well-equipped, grouped, high-level folk and that’s okay. Every game needs content for all kinds of players. I wish there were a bit more new stuff not focused around it but hopefully other player sets will get some soon.

1 Like

Exoworlds can be any level.

Clearly the special material exoworlds will be Lvl7.

But we also plan to spawn L3-L6 as exoworlds as well.

7 Likes

Yeah sorry I wasn’t clear, didn’t think it was needed. I understand that. But the next tier materials will be on the L7 worlds, right? They’re the ones I figure a middling-resourced, solo player won’t be able to manage alone.

That’s okay, the game is fine without those materials anyway so not feeling able to get in on L7 worlds without cheesing deaths doesn’t bother me.

I’m not planning feedback on play experience and viability because it doesn’t feel like the next tier materials are aimed at that playstyle. If that’s not the case I’m happy to take notes next time and feed back on where there may be balance changes needed to make it viable.

Are there new plant types and do they show up on an atlas? That’s what I’d fear being nuked pretty quick.

Anyway, looks pretty exciting for the most part. Got to the stone nerf and the wind went out of my sails somewhat. Admittedly, it was cheap and cheesy. On the other hand, I often felt like leveling 1-50 was longer than it needed to be, exploring and gathering exp were too low, etc. I get the need/want to limit cubits, so we’ll see how it goes.

(Calling it an exploit is probably inappropriate, this wasn’t some massive dupe bug, this wasn’t some lesser bug the devs never knew about, it’s been part of the game for months and months and had multiple threads on this forum explaining exactly how to do it. In gaming exploiting usually = cheating, to me that’s not really what this was or is. Of course, I’m not the king of the world, so say what you want if you want.)

4 Likes

You know that is a cheap attack and unbecoming of you.

I tried to show support of the idea you gave but there was no reason to go there especially since it was a different topic. Longer portal fuel is just the devs caving in to the whining community of people in the game that cannot take 2 minutes to fuel a portal.

And I said remove the link to prestige - not to remove foot fall. Read instead of attacking me because you dislike me for unwarranted reasons. Especially when I have TRIED to solve the issue between us and bridge the gap.

The heat map in the atlas will show a difference between semi-mined areas in the colours it displays, it already happens on the current planets. The scenario doesn’t really change compared to the current worlds, I’ve already spent resources in some mines to hit only rock since somebody was there already and don’t see it as a problem. Unfortunate, yes, but not a problem. The playerbase isn’t large enough to completely mine a whole planet in 10 hours, and I’d assume the spawn time is at least a bit random so some days a planet will spawn just when you hit play.

Also, the resource amount is low enough so the atlas will get noticeably darker in mined areas, it’s not yellow, but light blue in the current maps at least.

And the surface resources don’t regenerate either, do they?

1 Like

Longer fueling of portals (especially the bigger ones) is a needed quality of life improvement. I have better things to do with my time than running to portals every 3-4 days for big ones. This is the reason I never got a bigger portal to avoid that annoyance.
Personally would have preferred a solution like the spark generator with slots equal to the oort per hour but I am also fine with better fuel. 5 month lasting portals vanish the same as everything else when the beacon expires. So no real problem there.

5 Likes

You’re absolutely correct. Call it overpowered, call it unbalanced, even call it cheap if you want. I agree with all three of those terms. Didn’t stop me from grinding rocks tho. Calling it a bug or exploit is wildly inaccurate.

Personally, I’m all for the changes. I feel it will help pave the way for a much needed re-balance in other aspects of XP and crafting (i.e. crafting time reduction on certain existing crafts and amounts of XP gained per craft, for starters.) Persistent-world games need to evolve and adapt. Boundless is no exception.

5 Likes

Except that atlases wont work on exoplanets?

They will work but revert back to an empty atlas when the planet expires.

Yup, they do - but they essentially become useless when the planet disappears as they will no longer show anything.

Ahh okay. that’s not bad then. Thanks for the info!

I’ll be able to test out what actually happens with them in about 3 days (when the current exo planets expire) as I used one on testing last night to help me find some rift seams

I thought that was just me.

1 Like

ex·ploit

verb

/ikˈsploit/

make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource).

Agreed, longer fuel is definitely needed… you still have to get the fuel, so I don’t think it really makes it much easier, it just allows people to take breaks and holidays, and like said, for people with many, not as much runaround. I was already figuring I might lose my one larger one when I left on my summer trip in July, and in the near future I may be needing to attend to a family situation out of state so might have to disappear for a bit. Good to know this is coming.

Thank you, that is an oversight, we’ll get that sorted.

3 Likes

An exploit (from the English verb to exploit , meaning “to use something to one’s own advantage”) is a piece of software, a chunk of data, or a sequence of commands that takes advantage of a bug or vulnerability to cause unintended or unanticipated behavior to occur on computer software

5 Likes

Rough rift, umbris and blink aren’t available either, is this intended?

Hmm thought that would be the noun version of it. Also using something in game to benefit ones self at faster rates than intended would be exploiting the system is it not? I think we’ve all established before that the devs never expected the sheer amount of excessive materials we would have due to the forge.

But either way both are definitions of exploit. So it still can be called an exploit no matter what someone wants to say