Testing 218: Exoworlds, Blink, Rift and Umbris!

It’s not the size of the rod that matters, it’s the amount of prestige that make the real difference :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Probably or to get out of the death penalty, and we did it because it was the fastest way to do it and needed the levels to get skill points and plots to build. The other ways of gaining xp are slower and would require even more grind and then even those reach a point of not being fun when you repeat them thousands of times.

So will disagree that this is a good decision for the game and the players. Mining is already a brain dead exercise but is a requirement to get materials to build so at least when we did mine, we had a way of getting more from it than just the xp from mining, which has also been lowered since EA (from what I recall).

1 Like

I admit it might have been a bit harsh but there have been much huger issues that have yet to be resolved over this one. Let’s be honest:

1. They could have just added another slot to allow 1800 shards in any portals over 9 conduits. Or something that made the longer portals be fueled every 8 days or so. Make those jumps to T6 from T5 a longer length in portals staying fueled.

2. People can create a network that has multiple hops. But, many people want a centralized location where they can access the main areas with huge portals versus a series of 2x2 portals, etc. People need to learn not to have huge portals to go short distances or “create long distances” because they want to go from Phem to Finata in a single jump or whatever.

3. The actual action to “fuel” the portal does not take much time at all and can be accomplished by any person with proper permissions to a portal. You can use an advanced lock on the portal to give anyone access. So it does not take but a few minutes to run across a whole network and fuel portals. It does not help in the effort to “get the Oort, manage the network, promote the network, etc.” So people are making a huge issue out of a very minimal impact to their life in time in regards to the action of fueling.

As I stated afterward I need to see specifics of the solution before I could decide 100% but I still feel any change to the timing goes against pervious agreements and decisions.

1 Like

I am one of the few here who probably feel that the usage of mining and crafting of rock to stone was a exploit.
Someone remarked to me that boundless is a builder’s game. In Steam, the description is that “in a Boundless universe of connected worlds, every player’s choices will have a impact. Explorer? Builder? Trader? Crafter? Make your own path.”

In reading the list of changes I went, okay, gets your butts out there and explore, make food, some tools, weapons, brews, go and visit the other planets and walk around on the outside and not inside mining.

But, reading the posts of my fellow guild members and seeing the fantastic looking spaceship in the sky, the partly finished huge totem in another area, another large and very nice building in another and the gigantic, huge, guild building that is breathtaking when you stand and look down, I go that took a lot of making of stones. The xp from making those stones let them get the plots to make a good size settlement and I don’t want to see other settlements lose out because of loss from ex.

So, I’m off the bandwagon of yeah!, they can’t exploit the system. Does that mean that no one is? No, it means that not all are; and those players need to be considered. Also needed to be considered is the low level and new players who are starting out and leveling up is a grind and once you hit 20 it becomes really slow and for someone who has a family, job, commitments they don’t want to spend a month getting just one or two levels.

So, please, Do Not take away all the xp. Try to find a way that works. I know that those who do a lot of building and plan big the instant craft won’t be of any help, they will still lose out on the xp and the benefits of getting the needed plots, which many can’t afford to pay real life money for. Find the middle ground of 1 point for the crafting and give 1 point also to those who craft wood from trunk to timber, they deserve it also. You are out there chopping trees and dealing with spitters taking pot shots at you as you hang from your grapple. For those of us who do the chopping of wood for the timber, take on the dangers of getting shot from the spitters, we deserve to have a point for our labors. Besides, I think wood is nicer looking than stone.

Look at the requirements of some crafting items, change those so more players will turn to using them and be willing to get out and hunt them up. Lower the damage from death so players will be more willing to get out and take a chance in dying when they are on higher level planets, or even new players won’t feel so frustrated when they die from a spitter and can’t kill them to get meat and bones. Increase the speed of recovery so players will leave the crafting tables and hunt instead of buying meat.

So, it is odd that I would be against the making it of 0 xp. For the older players who want to just use it to level up their alts quick to “cheat the system”, I was going that it was a good thing and I was for it. But, in thinking it over, for ones with large builds, for settlements, for the new players, for those who have jobs, families and can play only an hour or two a week, those who don’t want to spend a month reaching one level, it is a bad thing.

Don’t punish the many because the few do abuse the system.

12 Likes

I would like to see a new tool a pick axe and elemental gem spawns on the planet so if your not a fighter you can go harvest them instead

1 Like

Personally i think forging should be harder on high end gear, getting max tools 9 times out of 10 makes them way less special, so this sounds like a good change. Looking forward to trying it when it hits ps4!

@Janna55 I liked every thing you said here and wish I could add a heart to each excellent point. Very well spoken.

So here’s my pile of extra hearts, bc I could only give one: :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Thank you. Won’t be on often, but on something important I will poke my head in and this is important.

1 Like

My two cents. Maybe keep stone exp and add timber exp but add a soft cap on the amount per day. Kind of like endeavor. This way the lower level players can still craft their resources for a reasonable amount of experience but the higher level players won’t be able to abuse the system for insane cubit gain. Once a fair amount per day is decided I think both player types could benefit. Or maybe even make them stop giving exp after level 50.

But what about the settlements that are still working on big builds? I am thinking of players who have played a while, have leveled up and now with friends want to build a big settlement. They are working on a huge build for a theme and need the space. Space for example, have spaceships, landing pads, docking bays and more that fit the theme and will be big. They will need a lot of room, lots of plots but don’t have the cash to buy them.
There are so many variables that it isn’t fair to lump them all into the they are exploiting the game. Yes, some are, but some aren’t and it would punish those who aren’t.
There is no easy answer to this problem. Just a loss of good players from doing this is what I think will be the outcome.

2 Likes

Also consider that any increase in Oort efficiency caused by new fuel will likely be more than offset by the addition of decorative oort blocks which will decrease the supply of oort available for fueling portals. I strongly disagree that making fueling portals easier in any way damages the game, but I am also fairly confident that this patch will make portals cost more coin/hour even if it decreases the oort/hour.

You have me thinking. (I haven’t done much of that lately. My brain malfunctions). I’m working on a new, pretty large project that’ll consist of 8 Max Height Towers plus main workshop and shops on ground level. It’s spread out over quite a large area. So far, I’ve only laid the ground work. Literally everything is 1 block high. That’s how early it is into this build. BUT, it’s already 578 plots and I haven’t even started to build upward yet.

I’m doing all this solo and I’m thinking now of how badly I’m going to be hit because I’ll be losing a hell of a lot of XP from making stone in order to make the tens of thousands of bricks I’m going to need. That’s a lot of much needed plots lost as a result of the nerf. So basically, I’m not even exploiting the system and yet I’ll be losing out big time.

I might have to drastically scale back the size of my build. This is something that I DO NOT WANT TO DO! I’ve been planning this for a long time and was originally going to be my new overhaul of my Gellis base.

So yea. Now I’m a bit peeved. Earlier I thought nothing of it as long as the crafting time was brought into line with timber. I never used the method for leveling but now I realise that I’m gonna get a kick in the gut even though I’m playing legitimately and making my stone, to make brick, to build with. Now I’m going to be limited on what I can afford to build in the game.

Please reconsider this change @james . At least meet us half way and bring it down to 1xp per stone. Leave the crafting time as it is or half that as well. I really don’t want to have to change the build I have planned. I want it to be EPIC! :cry:

7 Likes

I don’t understand why there is a limit on portal fuel at all.

If I want to put 52 weeks of fuel in, I should be able to.

5 Likes

What’s the reason for that? The Oort price is going to explode. It’s already insanely expensive to run portals if you don’t hunt your own Oort. And footfall is still a stupid mechanism. It gets buffed by what others have built (settlement size) and how early you’ve started playing (plotting something in the center of a city).

Are you expecting us all to hunt our own Oort? That’s not going to happen for me as hunting is not the part of the game I enjoy.

Are you expecting portals to be a prestigious that only very few rich player or hunters can afford?

Are you going to add other sources of Oortstone besides meteors? Something builders can obtain? Like an Oort collector?

Are you going to make portals cheaper with compact Oort to compensate?

Will there be a gleam club gold, that also fuels portals besides beacons?

2 Likes

I say we wait until after April Fools to riot over the rock experience changes. :slight_smile: Because hopefully it is simply a joke. I can’t fathom them thinking this is actually a good thing for their game.

7 Likes

Good idea who knows what’ll happen. Like that new trailer from :gear::package: maybe being an elaborate April fools joke.

A lil more on topic I can’t wait to find out how the new portal fuel will work.

1 Like

@james agree with @scrufola , having ortstones to be able to make into a block will cause a loss in ortstones for players to collect and cause the prices to go up for buying for portals costs. Unless you make it so we can compact ortstones or ortshards you will have placed a handicap on portal owners. Or that the portal time will be much longer, instead of having a shard last for one hour last for two hours for example (can’t remember how many or how long they will last) you are just punishing the portal owners.
Seems this is punishing day for the players, punish the players of large builds who need to craft lots of rocks, stone, bricks and now by punishing portal owners by letting ortstones be made into a decorative block so there will be a shortage of ortstones.

5 Likes

Trailer looked great to me.

The presentation, not so much.

1 Like

I have to disagree about AOE tools being a problem. First let me preffice this with the fact that I am not a full time player, I have a 50 hour a week job. I also have other things on top of that that take away even more time. The only way to efficiently use of what little time I have to mine and gather resources is AOE tools. This is why I got into forging in the first place so I could make my own mid tier tools to go collect resources.

The rock to stone xp nerf is also another issue but one I can live with because of the instant craft fix that was added. If I want to queue up a bunch of refining of those stones and use a teaching pie I can still work on leveling up a character. It may take a little longer but still doable.

2 Likes

The oortstone blocks are something ppl have asked about for quite some time.
Personally, I think they’re pretty and I might make some myself one day.

The idea of oortstone prices going up did cross my mind. They might. Maybe even sales might stop for a bit. Bunch of maybes here. Speculation.
Buuut… I don’t think it’ll change much, if at all. And probably level out pretty quick if they do.
I say this because I’ve gone by plenty of storage units that is just a wall of oort. People already kept a bunch on hand, and for those ppl things probably won’t change much for them.
Portals are a chore. I’ve greatly reduced personal portals, eventually going down to one, didn’t bother refueling it (I think the hub was remodeling anyway), but now I debate if I ever want to fuel it in the first place.
But hunting meteors gains xp and loot. Among that, oort, which always sells. So it’s always a money maker.

So there’s always going to be ppl hunting meteors who intentionally do it to sell their booty. There might even be more after this.

So, what I’m saying is, I don’t think this particular change will have much negatives, but we’ll just have to see.

3 Likes