Testing 224 - Combustion Fraction [Plant]

If you could submit a screenshot, it might help. Here’s an example where crops don’t burn because they’re near lava, but technically beside and above it

You can see the combustion and kindling clearly not being burned by lava because they’re on different elevations

Edit: spelling is hard

2 Likes

At work now so I’ll be re-checking my near lava crops when back home. I’m curious about all the little details that make the difference between crop states.

2 Likes

You and me both. I’ve enjoyed finding out how it all works and what works well

2 Likes

Yeah I’m in a process of testing gleam light range for crops.
Have a new set up in mind that will maybe allow to check that although random factor in crop ticking can be too large to make findings viable.

1 Like

I think the range of refined gleam is 6-7 blocks, but I’m not sure. I don’t know about the others

2 Likes

note that any ranges of block lights will be changing, so no point doing extensive testing…

also looking to hopefully (assuming no massive backlash… ) make the light sources scale properly with their colour as well. Aka black gleam is basicly 0 light source, but white gleam is a very bright white source. Currently that is just… “weird”, with black gleam being just as bright (and white) in lighting as the white gleam is on its surroundings… which is just bloody weird.

15 Likes

Thanks for info. Testing suspended.

:grin:

1 Like

We have this its called Dark glass lol. But seriously its gleam so it should have some light or its not gleam.

4 Likes

This might have an interesting affect on builds that have already been lit by certain colors of gleam. If dark red gleam does not spread light very far, then my build using it could go dark forcing me to use a color I do not like in order to be able to see. I think this will be interesting to see what it does if implemented.

3 Likes

You can do the same build as for Yams
Sown in Gravel as already mentioned.
Make sure sunlight cannot go there (door let light through)

3 Likes

When I first tried out black gleam on testing some months back, I honestly almost expected it would project shadow/darkness rather than light, but figured it would actually just give dim light instead, since projecting darkness sounds a bit technically complicated to me, given how I assume the light system must work. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yourself and @james have been letting us know that the balance will/may change around crops from testing to live.

Are either of you able to let’s us know a little more detail?

Obviously not specifics, but what could potentially change?

For example, could the type of bonus block change? (sand to gravel, that kind of thing).

Could the range of ‘near’ change, atm it looks to be within 3 blocks, but could it potentially change to 1, or 10, or any other number?

Could the number of bonus blocks required within the range change? (3 blocks of sand near, could become 1, or 10, or any other number)

Or is it just the the value of the bonus that will change, not the formation for optimising? (max crop return rate goes from 1.04 to 2.5)

I’m not looking for you to give the game away and say, x will change to y, but just what could potentially change!

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2 Likes

How did you see the plant information from the debug menu? I found the debug menu (F1) but the plant info wasn’t there. Thanks!

F1 > Debug Information
Then extend “Selection” and under that also extend “Planted Crop [above/below]”

You can only expand the above/below when the target reticule is over a ground/ceiling crop :slight_smile:

Ok thanks! I’ll give that a try.

1 Like

Got slightly higher numbers. Lava is all under the gravel.

Edit: What baffles me is that all of these were planted simultaneously. Some matured yesterday and some are still growing today. The difference is vast. I am not keeping some rigorous excel sheet but the difference is clear (visually). Checked their stats and they all have the same percentages (just different growth stages).

1 Like

From what I have read every plant has a chance to advance to the next stage. The RNG is rolled and this plant succeeds!! YES!! and this one fails BOOO!!!

So even in perfect conditions all plants are not necessarily going to mature at the same time. This seems more obvious with Kranut and the inorganics since they take longer to mature. Maybe they also have more stages before maturing?

1 Like

This also raises the question (again) how near is near? Adjacent? Within 2 blocks? I mean the plants shown in the pics i uploaded, some are in the center (farther from ancient corruption) yet all have the same percentages.

If they have the same percentages then nearness should not be a factor. It is my understanding that nearness should be reflected in the percentages.

I do find it interesting that the seed drop percentage is .96. I never checked after the update to see if they went up from .67 on the organics.

Highest number I have had after update 224.1(or how to call it) on inorganic fuels:
Seed 1.260
Yield 1.600

2 Likes