Testing 224: Farming! (continued)

If you think about it, torches produce light in real life, doesn’t mean we use them in underground farms to help plants with their photosynthesis.

I think gleamlight is special because it brings something a simple torch doesn’t (even though it’s not apparent to the player’s eyes). Maybe some kind of invisible G-Ray that provides an energy equivalent to sunlight.

2 Likes

There’s a weird ‘reflection’ on water when you look at it flowing straight down from air-side, or looking at it against glass from water-side.
It’s like it’s reflecting an outside landscape, however I was underground for these :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It’s an HDRM (High Dynamic Range Map).

Basically, most game uses these to fake reflections, in mirrors, for instance. Let’s say you’re in a room and there’s a mirror reflecting the room, it’ll often be an HRDM of the finished room put into the mirror.
Otherwise, the mirroir would have to generate a reflection of its surroundings in real-time, and that’s SUPER costly.

With the current state of the farming update in testing, you can see that HDRM in the reflections of a lot of blocks, like the metals, marble, etc (as shown in the video I posted somewhere above).
That’s what improves a lot the rendering of these blocks compared to live.

LIVE :

TESTING :

You can clearly see the HDRM.

13 Likes

Hooray for listening to feedback from testing!

Why Arent my machined blocks look like that ;/

@james I am worried about the light emitted by Gleam.
Here’s a gold room with only a small hole providing light from the outside :

Here’s the same room without the hole, and with light tan refined gleam and some ornated doors :

I might be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that on live, the light provided by gleam would be more intense.
For some reason, it seems… a little darker than what I’m used to on live.
The gleam texture does seem less emissive. Like it doesn’t have that same usual punch.

Any comment on that?

'cause if it’s intended and gleam blocks don’t provide as much light as they currently do on live, I’ll have to redo pretty much all the lighting of my build with torches and such. :face_vomiting:

Go take a look some older pics. Like early access days. Those are pretty similar

1 Like

First of all I want to thank the dev team. It’s awesome that they listen to us players and try to find a solution everyone can live with.

At the moment on level 5 or 6 planets you get the following drops:
|Drop|Percentage|
|—|—|—|
|Exotic Earthyam|2.8%|
|Opal|0.28%|
|Cobalt|0.28%|

We can assume that the Exotic Earthyam from mud are nerfed to 10% of what they are today.

For Earthyam we have the following drop rates:

Drop Source Level 1/2 Level3
Flint Rock 4.2% 5.6%
Earthyam Soil 8.4% 12.6%
Earthyam Mud 14% 22.4%

If we’re farming for the blocks, this is a welcome additional drop. But regen farms for Exotic Earthyams will still be dead.

• With 0.28% drop chance we get 2.5 Exotic Earthyams per SS of mud.
  • Mud is worthless, it mints for 0.05c. Which is 45c per SS.
  • A SS requires you to hit 100 times with an AE shovel.
  • I sell AE shovels that can one-hit on level 5 for 9000c and they have between 3400 and 4000 durability. I think that’s a normal price. Ignoring the durability epic and the persisting pie this results in cost of about 2.6c per hit.
  • 100 hits therefore cost 260c, ignoring the speed brew.

For 260c (in durability) you get mud worth 45c and 2.5 Exotic Earthyam (worth about 40c each).

Regen farming for Exotic Earthyams is as dead as it can be with this change! If you need mud to create bricks it still makes sence to farm it on Besevrona for the 2.5 Exotic Earthyams you get on top of the mud.

Comparing other drops I think the 2.8% was generous. But 0.28% is way to low if this is supposed to be an alternative to farming because the tool costs you more then what you get from farming.

3 Likes

Your comparison basing a price off of a player determined tool cost is non sequitur, but I appreciate you putting some numbers together. I think the objective is to buff a farming role compared to us regen farming zombies, which this balance change would achieve

3 Likes

Not sure how accurate your numbers are. Assuming they are, I agree that something just a liiiittle bit closer to 1% would be nice.
How does Luck factor in those numbers?

Honestly, I’m still happy with what we got there, and I won’t complain (much).
At the very least, you have a chance to get yams while wailing on mud. So yeah, it might not be a good reason to farm mud anymore, but still.

I’m not sure I know what you mean. The price of the Exotic Earthyam is the player price too. In the end you have to ask yourself. What does it cost me to farm the Earthyams and what does it cost me to buy them. And you probably pick the cheaper method (I do).

If farming results in less Exotic Earthyams in the economy, the price might go up, increasing the pie prices. But regen farming could still be possible.

If farming results in the same amount or more Exotic Earthyams entering the economy, regen farming just doesn’t make sense.

1 SS of growth mints for 360c and you get 5 shimmering orbs on top of it! Regen farm growth and buy your Earthyam.

“yeah, no, I’m just observing how you’re doing in this challenge, trust me, just observering” snickers with his thumb hovering above the square button to open a ceiling lava trapdoor

3 Likes

These numbers are from @Pfiffel. He got them directly from the game. You can check them here:
http://www.pfiffel.com/bl/drops/

The drop rates I wrote down is including luck.

1 Like

Derivative or ‘alt-drops’ are/were intended to be ancillary to block mining, not a main source of the derivative resources, so the change makes sense at this level. Regen farming is not dead but is nerfed comparative to farming. If regen farming is still close, fewer people would be farming or developing the world. For the sake of consistency I think total time spent to achieve the same result is better vs. coin/market prices.

…and don’t give away our orb secrets. :cry:

1 Like

Well it looks ok for “tan” lighting to me. But in any case:

It would be helpful to see a like-for-like comparison.

I wish I had that many refined gold block on live. This is the closest I have :

1 Like

Amazing! Thank you for the balance changes. What a great update! I am so excited to do some farming :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gotta say, based on that comparison, I think gold in itself looks a much better colour. I always thought it looked too “yellow” – even if I do love yellow, I like gold looking like… gold! :stuck_out_tongue:

But it’s possible that the gleam is looking a bit dark because of how the game is controlling the exposure? Would have to see the location myself to work it out.

On testing, it’s right next to Stretchious’ place on Havran 1, under my build.
I gave the coordinates in screenshot thread, I think.

And yeah, I totally agree that I like the look of gold in testing FAAAAR more than on live. It actually looks like real gold.
But the gleam seems less glowy. Maybe it’s not the actual light it provides, and just its emissive texture. It kinda looks inert.

1 Like

Is that the same gleam colour? Tan again?