Testing 224 - Farming Earthyams and Bulb return ratio from harvest

Is this because you are trying to do the Minecraft feature where you have a 2x2 water area and you can pick up water and the 3 other block recreate the source block?

You want to use the little fountain you have to fill water buckets up?

Catalyst blocks to balance the crops of seeds versus materials is a fantastic idea, that would be amazing.

gives james a big hug

10 Likes

This is such a great question… my thoughts are perhaps seed gathering will be just an easy maintenance thing after the initial set up? So the mass gathering of the first seeds will be the biggest effort… after that you may not need to actually farm seeds because you’ll just come across them easily. Like getting opals, rock salt and flint?

As for other comments regarding food for new players… What about lamella? Can’t new players eat lamella? I remember eating that early on. I’m just curious.

2 Likes

I love everything about this game, one of the things I love the most is being able to explore new planets, find resources etc. The devs are doing amazing things for us alk in this game, the only thing I would like to see would be couch coop so my kids and I could all play on same device via split screen. That would be a dream.

1 Like

I have never played Minecraft.

Boundless doesn’t need a source block to fill the bucket, that’s going to change with 224:

Yeah but if that source block is in a wild or reserved area it will regenerate when it is time…

it isn’t. Iead the water from the lake into my kitchen. There is no source block in the kitchen, nor an unplotted area.

sorry I guess I don’t understand… all source blocks will regen when no one is around or a regen bomb is thrown… now on testing there could be a bug… and if there is a video would help show that so they can look at it.

Don’t forget the comments from people who aren’t happy with the upcoming disparition of mud farms and other related methods to get earthyams and such, though. This is a legitimate critic, and it doesn’t seem alright to brush it off.

Don’t forget those who don’t like the idea that a lot of the content added by this update (like goo) is locked on exo-worlds where many players don’t go for various reasons.

Don’t forget those who were hoping that in-organic farms would offer an alternative to meteor-hunts by giving some kind of plant-based fuel for portals.

Since the farming update adds a lot of rules that we gotta take into account to have an optimal farm (you need water, the right type of soil, sun, proximity to things like sand/mud, fertilizer, time to grow, etc), it seems more difficult than just going to a mud farm and wail on mud with a shovel to get your waxy/exotic earthyams to keep building/cooking. Like, I just did that earlier, spent maybe 30 minutes, got 900 waxy earthyams with just a good 3x3 shovel and a speed brew.

But I don’t know, maybe all I just wrote sounds like crazy enraged talk?
< shrug >
< gets ready for Xaldafax telling him that he’s wrong and devs are right >

5 Likes

Oort has always been the fuel for portals and there was never a community push on enough of a large level to even drive a discussion on the real validity of changing this. Hopes and dreams doesn’t equal the requirement to change a game system that has been around since the beginning. Especially when people just were given a whole more powerful Oort source to fuel portals longer.

Sounds like some valid concerns that just need to be portrayed in a context on how the systems need work.

Nah… no one is wrong and no one is right. People just need to communicate better.

Which requires even mooooore grind and farm. I haven’t even seen meteorite ichor yet. Requires to go on big hunts on Exo-Worlds / T7 worlds, last I heard… :expressionless:

Ha ha ha, see? SEE! You just told me that I was wrong to think that you’d tell me I was wrong and- urgh, hurts my head… XD

1 Like

So giving feedback is being seen as being “enraged”, do devs only want postive feedback, no disagreement at all? You are removing 2 forms of gameplay for a new system and seem to get mad when the balance of said system is called out. So only check that the code functions and not comment on balance or how it affects a players gameplay? Sounds legit. Not gonna lie I am kinda turned off by being called an “enraged majority” by the dev team, there has been a huge conversation with great points on both sides but I guess we should just test that the code works and not say anything.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I really don’t see many conversations. There’s been a firing squad, many have threatened to quit and many have sent personal attacks towards the devs.

Only a few people have actually been testing, many other people (but not all) have been extremely vocal about balance regarding seed distribution, ignoring literally every other change this update has. James has said repeatedly they can change the seed distribution at any time, and that the feedback they need right now are on the systems of the farming.

I just read your previous posts, and I seriously doubt he was referring to you. I don’t know why people assume they are being targeted when the word “majority” is used, which by definition clearly indicates there is also a minority that is behaving politely and isn’t doing this…

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

3 Likes

Yeah, sure, but James also said (unless I didn’t get a word of what he said, which is a possibility because I’m not good with maths) that if we were to have a 1:1 seed recovery during harvest, it would make it useless to go out to gather wild seeds once our farm is done.
Which is a fair point, don’t get me wrong.

BUUUUT you might also want to sell some seeds to people. You might want to expand your farm (which requires more seeds than you had before.

I personally didn’t get to spend too much time on testing. But I watched Stretchious for a bit while he was doing his thing. I think my point about the farming update making earthyam/starberry gathering waaaaaay more difficult than it is on live still stands.

3 Likes

when you remove one method of getting something and replace it with a vastly inferior method then the rest of the changes of course are going to get overshadowed something happened with the bomb mine nerf eveything else in that update got deleted cuz the nerf its self was the front and center thing

it was ross but still we got a confirm that we are not going to get any meaningful changes in terms of seed distribution unless that middle gorund method gets bringed in but still it would reqiure players to spend even more plots to cover that method

1 Like

This is the problem with commenting about a function without actually testing it.

Say you go out mining. On your way to the mining location, you run into maybe ~100 starberry plants, and you break them. You now have at least 100 seeds. You go back to your farm, it’s been 8 hours, but you have more seeds now, so you replant the ones that need to be replanted, and you’ve got some surplus.

People keep commenting in a vacuum as though the only time you ever get seeds is when you go SEED HUNTING. Which is just not true. If you go on Hunt, you’ll run into starberry/yam plants and get seeds that way. Same with mining. Same with gathering sap.

If the system is 1:1, you’d be swimming in seeds, it would be insane.

2 Likes

it would be insane but its not like you plant them then seconds later they become the thing. with the timegate it would make no difference then what we got with the current system of regain farming. what it would mean is one less thing people have to “grind” in order to do what they want to do

There have been a few other times we’ve had some dev responses where people took offense… many times the responses seemed to be like below… At least from where I stand my opinion is that people miss the point of why this happens…

enrage [ en-reyj ]

verb (used with object), en·raged, en·rag·ing.

to make extremely angry; put into a rage; infuriate:His supercilious attitude enraged me.

Synonyms for enraged

Seems like a valid word choice considering how some people have responded to the changes and farming design.

I find it interesting that many people are willing to use whatever words they want and choose to communicate in whatever fashion they feel is appropriate but when a dev picks a word they don’t agree with they have a problem.

Maybe if people don’t want to be perceived in a specific way they need to take a bit more time in selecting words they use when sharing their views… communication goes both way. People perceive what you say based on how you say it as well as their own views and beliefs/values. While we cannot control the other person we can continue to work and take responsibility on how we communicate.

5 Likes

Fair and yes kind of funny. I never thought you were wrong on almost everything we’ve talked about. I just want a good conversation so we can find middle ground and maybe solve a few things. It is because each side has validity and we just need to figure out how to navigate them all playing nice together.