Testing 224 - Farming Earthyams and Bulb return ratio from harvest

Been testing farming with the Earthyams and it appears that even with fertilizer, tilled silty soil, water AND gleam light you will not get bulbs every time meaning you have to constantly gather new bulbs from the wild and this seems to defeat the point of farming. You should always get a minimum of 1 bulb so you can at least replant your field without having to go gather more bulbs from the wild.

21 Likes

Yes this is the intended design and not a bug or problem.

It is not a 1-1 yield ratio. If you want a better yield return of seeds you need to work on optimizing your farm via fertilizer or the way you have the components of the farm - water, soil, etc organized. Even then full optimization I am pretty sure will not get a 1-1 return in any set up but very close.

1 Like

maybe it needs to be tweaked then cuz that plus the time and mats to me it makes plant farming useless compared to regain farming

14 Likes

This exactly. This just adds another step to gathering, now you have to wait for them to grow in addition to gathering them XD. this turns the whole farming deal into just more grind to get the same mats you use to be able to gather through regen farming, making it harder to get mats while giving you nothing new.

12 Likes

Might need balancing, but the idea is, I guess, to avoid a situation when farming provides enough seeds, as it would make gathering them redundant.

Remember it’s coop game and if you can’t find time to do everything yourself, you hire others or buy some items. Economy will only exist if there is demand for goods and if you can provide yourself with all the seeds through farming (after initial gathering in the wild), then there is one job less for gatherers.

2 Likes

If it was a coop game there would be no alts or skill pages. This just takes mats that used to be gatherable from regen farming and surface gathering and puts them behind a time wall while calling it farming.

16 Likes

Not everyone has the means to farm for waxy or exotic yams. So they should be penalized from making teaching pies or persisting pies? Or any food that uses higher tier seed cuz they die before they can get a seed “bag”? Don’t kill the protected farms!!! Make farming them yourself yield 1/2 or 3/4 more than just killing player made farms. I have 6-7 farms if worth nothing I wasted 6-8 month of gameplay. Why stay if they are rendered invalid after this update?

9 Likes

Now not only do you have to gather hundreds of plants then you have to wait 3-12 hours just to get the mats you need. Additionally this removes regen garming for ALOT of mats while just adding to the grind.

11 Likes

Right. They are handy capping the lower level people that can change stats to farm safe farms so they can make what they need. Now you want persisting pies well this level 50+ with huge farm sells them for 500 each when a level 15-16 can go farm there own and make their own in a protected mud farm “now” what lower level will go to a tier 5-6 to get a bag of exotic yams? You’ll die before you get one. One shot one kill

5 Likes

I did not ask the exact ratio. I would assume they started conservatively and would look at balancing after some data. Of course it could go both ways.

But let’s assume you gather 100 seeds. You plant them in an optimized way and get 200 yield and 90 seeds. Repeat the process and just add 10 seeds…

I would say that is a pretty nice return since you had to do little to let them grow. A big enough farm would return way more than you could ever gather.

Also why would we ever allow an exact 1-1 ratio. That just seems too simple and easy. You should account for failed parts and possible other issues. It keeps it dynamic. Before you ALWAYS had to run around… now you don’t.

1 Like

But what about the lower level people? Basically they are sh@t out of luck cuz they have to run and hide an hope for seeds when they can get now easily? That’s saying screw new players in my book

2 Likes

Some people are new so they don’t understand where the regen bomb came from - which was to just regen land. We should remember that the way people use regen bombs to farm resources was never intended to be used like that on the initial idea. Its has become something that happens but it kind of does create a pretty severe balance issue because people can get so many resources easily.

The developers here believe in the values of working some for your gains… this just reinforces that. You still get seeds and the percentage is more than less. So that shows they aren’t trying to create a full grind.

3 Likes

but before it was relatively cheep and easy now you need to spend plots, spend time setting up the farm spend time farming the seeds then planting when before it was find a nice spot save the location done.

so they want to create bomb mine nerf 2.0?

4 Likes

New players are supposed to be on NEW worlds not level 40-50 worlds. The expectation was to buy the resources not just go yourself with no risk. People are supposed to be on worlds that they can survive on not the worlds they cannot. Hence why we have atmosphere and other things making it harder to survive.

1 Like

But from what I’ve read you don’t get yams from anything but the plants? How is that helping the lower level people? That’s screwing them in my book

7 Likes

Exotic yams coming to every planets now?

You can still get exotic yams from the plants they dropped from before and now you also get seeds from the tubar plant you also can find.

The only impact is on mud farming for yams…which low level players would be at as much risk doing.

Yes you buy them or trade for them or follow the MMO design of the game.

I am not saying you are wrong or that lower level people might not have it harder. I’m just saying that this is the game design. People can’t expect to be level 1 and get all the benefits of level 50. This game has progression and it certainly is easier access to higher tier stuff than many games.

Some things might change if people voice their opinions and provide reasons on why it should not be that way that are valid or have good reasons. That is why we have testing. The developers do listen.

I personally know they do because a huge part of farming that we have and people wanted would not have happened at all. But after a discussion they saw the value of the suggestion that was made and adjusted things.

3 Likes

Yes they are but you can also spec yourself to farm yams or beans on a t5-t6 world below a level 20. If the expectation is that lower level people should play alone than they should have a starting planet that you need to reach level 20 before into the “known” world. They should have no help from anyone than sense you shouldn’t hunt or forge before 20 but you easily can

1 Like

I got a question since I’m confused.

Which foods don’t drop anymore? Like, when I start the game, I break leaves to get starberries, and I dig soil to get earth yams.

Has that changed?

1 Like