Testing 224 - Farming Earthyams and Bulb return ratio from harvest

In the post you quote nothing is mentioned about Sony wanting it to release in September. Unless the devs explicitly told you at some point this is just a guess…

You complained that people should not be vocal about changes the devs make because they then rollback ‘hours of development’ which essentially can be interpreted as ‘shut the heck up!’…

No one is asking to introduce anything new here…

‘probably’ being the correct word, I don’t see moving away from surface gathering and regen farming the secondary drops to JUST farming as being better for the game.

You could argue it’s better for the economy when not everyone has access to basics like berries, yams, rice, oats and flour so they will have to participate in the economy if they don’t want to farm (or can’t yet due to being low level, having no plots nor the skills for it) but the game didn’t force people to buy stuff now they will. Want some decorative stones? Sorry buy some waxy yams in order to make them.

Many low level players were able to use the regen farms to make coin, they were participating in the economy and now should find other ways of supporting themselves and actually spend money for the basics.

Doesn’t sound to me it’s better for the game. But that’s just opinion and I though we all could give ours here freely, don’t like to be told that we should not since the devs might roll back hours of changes…

Let’s just stop this discussion for now, it’s going nowhere anyway. The devs know by now how we think about it and they already mentioned they will make some changes, let us trust this time too they know best, ok? :wink:

Runescape? :smiley:

Never played it. I know in other games the material disappears after a while so you gotta move. Never played anything like Boundless where you can just regen bomb it.

Yes. Maybe it was mentioned other places but I am not sure.

Then that is the wrong perception. No where do I remember using any words or phrases that communicate this. I do not communicate that people should stop talking or say shut up or don’t share.

People can talk as much as they want but that does not mean the devs should listen unless the points have merit especially over those that are countering them. Additionally me being vocal against people speaking up is about holding them accountable to backing their points and providing data and evidence. I continuously use words and phrases and context that focus on getting people to clarify or justify especially points that are lacking in proof from my views.

The context was in introducing a game play dynamic that is then used in unintended ways especially against normal expectation of game play.

In this context I am talking about a future feature. But overall my arguments focus on original game play versus current game play. I try to stay away from “better or worst” in most cases because that is a subjective argument unless I use it in a general sense like above.

1 Like

With a little tweak on the seed drop the farming is awesome.

I would however not go in with the new and scratch the old just yet. I would let the old fade out if that is possible. It gives players the time to learn farming and see how great it really is and before you know it the regenfarms will no longer be needed. For the natural flow of the game the regenfarms do need to go… We tend to forget that we are playing an unfinished game and then forget to look at the big picture instead we are concerned about our own position and progress at this point. Anyone new to the game will say ofc it is logical to grow rice and grain to make food and pies. It was always a bit silly in my view how we had to harvest grass seeds to be able to have rice and flour…

At the same time I feel that gathering is still a feature that doesn’t get enough attention or “rewards”

I do agree with this. I am old enough in this game to know the fear for placing water and what it can do as a deconstruction tool but water is a major plus in the building feature of this game and attaching to forging is a step too far.

7 Likes

Don’t assume everyone plays the game the way you think they do. You assume I spend 3 hours gathering and I do not. I do not go out and hunt at all. I mine when I need to. I do not go out and gather for 3 hours because it is boring. And my experience in test is when I have gone looking around for seeds, I am not finding enough plants to replant my farm without specifically going out to gather what I need and not merely picking them up while looking for something else. And it has been very time consuming. Also all seeds do not all occur in the same biomes or even the same planet tiers so I will have to go out and visit multiple planets and multiple biomes in order to get all the seeds to replant my farm. My EXPERIENCE in testing is this is not a casual you can pick them up on the way to a mall. If they were that plentiful then it might not be a problem, but they are not.

4 Likes

I think this, along with seed drop rates, is all a matter of balance though. If there are not enough wild plants to sustain the populations needs, then they need to be increased.

I would imagine that, when this hits live, seeds are going to be quite rare as everyone will be after them

4 Likes

I think this is a possibility. Can it be corrected, sure the developers could drop two seeds for every wild plant or increase the number of wild plants. But in the interim, if the price of seeds begins to approach the price of the crop it grows that could have a very interesting affect on the economy.

I think it could also discourage players from farming. That would be a shame

2 Likes

The new plants could possibly be in short supply to begin with just like the desert sword was when 1.0 launched but I think as has been stated many times by @james that this is just a matter of adjusting the balance which won’t be known exactly until it is released so although it’s possible seeds could be in short supply initially i feel confident that it wouldn’t take too long for the Devs to make the adjustments once they have all the relevant data after release. If they released the update with too many plants available then there would be an overabundance which would devalue them and then if the Devs adjusted them down then a lot of people will probably see it as a nerf so they’re kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place, damned if they do, damned if they don’t … personally I’m really looking forward to this new update and all the extra content and challenges it could bring :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

My results from today

Un-optimized Fields - Each field has 84 blocks planted of each crop (this is the third harvest for these fields)
Avena Oortiva - Crop 175 Seeds 44
Chaggeatarin - Crop 157 Seeds 35
Raw Earthyam - Crop 159 Seeds 34
Waxy Earthyam - Crop 157 Seeds 42
Exotic Earthyams - Crop 160 Seeds 36

Optimized Fields - Each Field has 152 blocks planted of each crop (this is the first harvest for these fields)
Avena Oortiva - Crop 331 Seeds 101
Chaggeatarin - Crop 342 Seeds 97
Raw Earthyam - Crop 332 Seeds 111
Waxy Earthyam - Crop 344 Seeds 95
Exotic Earthyams - Crop 343 Seeds 111

Replanting to see if I get similar results again

I will harvest rice tomorrow. I have optimized and unoptimized fields for those also.

1 Like

not really cuz of this part

end game smailler farms sure but new players are going to be lucky to get a 20% return this is the satisfactory of content updates where building the base will take people a hour and then a week to optimize unless you have a plant in the right lighting with the right blocks around with the right conditions you will get a good return otherwise its a dirt low yield and a new player is not going to know that or even know how to get the best optimization till much later

It sounds like your playstyle is perfectly compatible with someone who then buys seeds from a shop stand, which would solve the problem, right?

This may be true, but until the update is thoroughly tested by new accounts, it’ll be impossible to know the needed ratios to be sustainable. It’s still possible a new player is going to have no shortage of seeds.

well was going to aruge my point but devs just re enabled regen farming so all good now low level players can regen farm and now farming is optional and not required

edit thinking about it we dont know if regen farming will be at its same level but still a step in the right Direction here non the less while true the seed yields may change i dont think they will get buffed that much for a non optimal setup

No because how do I earn coin to buy from a shop? If I have to gather/mine and craft items to sell then I might as well make them myself. Not interested in trekking over all the planets looking for seeds everyday I play. That is wasted time where I get nothing in exchange.

2 Likes

You sell some of the other stuff you get in the game.

Then you make my point on just doing it myself. If I have wander all over the universe to find someone that is selling seeds and someone that is willing to buy whatever I make then why not just make what I need myself and avoid the hassle and the wasted time? You have a circular argument. If I do not want to buy seeds then I have to gather, if I want to buy seeds I have to gather. In both case I end up doing the same activity so it is not avoidable.

2 Likes

Update on the latest push on test.

-mats added back to surface gather, new wild crops add to what can be surface gathered.
-mats added back to block drops.

Overall it is nice to have options and the new crops add to what you can surface gather as you could not surface gather Starberries at all before! Block drops are great and let the player choose how to get their mats. One thing I have noticed is that it is a bit harder to get the various Starberry seeds as they seem to have a lower spawn rate or perhaps are just less visible and thus are harder to see. I find it would be hard to collect enough seeds to replenish a large farm of them. One thing, when you need to replenish it will have to be a concentrated effort for some of the seeds and not something you would just pick up in passing, this is especially true for the seeds that spawn on high tier worlds. I think these changes are good, farming lets you effectively double your gathering take with a bit of time input which is cool. I really like these changes and this adds greatly to gathering. I would still like seed yields to be a bit higher and for block drops to be a little higher but with all the options available I can live with the lower yields. Great work.

Can we get a system like this for all the crops? Would love to alternate produce and seed cycles like this for other drops to! Also you can drag and drop items out of your inventory now!

2 Likes

I’ll say even if I had to break 2k mud to get one exo yam I would still choose to do that over a farm for the simple fact I have to use my own plots and set everything up. With mud I can just go on a planet with or without a regen farm set up. Takes no plots from me or set up from me. I barely have enough plots for my own projects that I can’t afford to waste plots on a farm and I won’t spend money on getting more plots for a farm. Spend more money on plots for things I want to do yes but something I don’t want to no.

1 Like

I think MinerDiggerMan maybe was trying to say that as people were out and about that there would be cases where they would cross seeds and could easily gather them every so often. So over time just in your daily playing you will be able to get seeds.

In a PM I was talking with James about distribution of resource. He said that on test the distribution was not set at or what they expected in production.

My one plot farm died it didn’t provide seed anymore… finally!
I did wait always all plants to be ready before collecting those and after 5th harvesting I did my harvesting less frequent.

Anyway below final data of my exotic yam farm that did start with 72 seeds.

CYCLES DATE TIME SEEDS IN PLANTS OUT SEEDS OUT SEED RATIO PLANTS/SEED COMMENTS
0 2019-06-17 01:20 INITIAL PLANT WITH 72 SEEDS
1 2019-06-17 20:10 72 162 44 0,6111 2,25
2 2019-06-18 13:05 44 98 27 0,6136 2,2273
3 2019-06-19 16:55 27 58 18 0,6667 2,1481 LONGER WAITING TIME BY USER ERROR
4 2019-06-20 13:05 18 41 9 0,5 2,2778 224.1 PATCH
5 2019-06-21 09:55 9 18 4 0,4444 2 224.2 PATCH
6 2019-06-24 11:25 4 8 4 1 2 224.3 PATCH + SAND TO DARKGLASS
7 2019-06-25 13:55 4 8 4 1 2 224.4?? SERVER DOWN
8 2019-06-27 02:35 4 9 1 0,25 2,25 224.5
9 2019-06-27 13:45 1 2 1 1 2
10 2019-06-28 13:55 1 3 1 1 3 224.6
11 2019-06-29 15:35 1 3 1 1 3 224.7
12 2019-06-30 20:05 1 2 1 1 2
13 2019-07-01 12:30 1 3 1 1 3
14 2109-07-02 01:15 1 3 0 0 3 END. FINALLY!
418 116
3 Likes