Testing 238: Prototype Creative Mode and Modding!

So it’s already listening on other interfaces than localhost? Cool!

the mods would not be in the main game they would be on someones private server with no connection
to the main servers

Yes and from what i see we could probably already host planets on our own hardware.

I don’t think this is true.

In theory the creative mod atm is local host. you can create your own universe. We just need a way to lets someone connect to your universe(localhost) and you could be able to host your own universe.

@Dhusk Long term game funding - #33 by james

the info was already posted by james in another thread.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Updated OP with details of Testing 238.2. Main changes are:

1. exposing a wider range of features into the Lua Scripting interface and
  2. a range of Messaging QoL improvements.

The Lua Scripting prototype will likely migrate to Live in the current state.

A few more improvements will come to the Messaging system next week before the update migrates to Live.

12 Likes

Oooh interesting, I wonder if this will make the universal channels more popular. I would love to be able to be ‘constantly’ on the universal channels talking to people and answering questions. It would go a long way to making the world(s) feel more connected for sure :slight_smile:

+1

7 Likes

Update to messaging, nice!

One question tho, when this goes Live how will creative mode planets be handled? They will stay locally on the player’s pc? Or have there been changes as well that I’ve overlooked?

Can you invite others? And how will PS4 players create their own creative planets? Or will this all be moved to remote servers instead? Or perhaps a choice of either on pc, and only remote on PS4?

1 Like

If all indies are like this, I think I now understand better why we don’t have any idea when any of this will release :smiley:

4 Likes

Thank you so much! I always felt like because the “trade channel” didn’t show up in “all” it was basically useless to post anything there because pretty much no one saw it.

as a general observation, and not a dig or anything to anyone. I noticed that this news/release actually was able to auto close before it ever made it to the live game. I’ve not seen that before (could have just missed it), and I wonder why people didn’t talk more about creative mode here longer.

If I had to guess its because its not a release with anything really controversial to keep it up near the top of the page and doesn’t directly change balance in the live universe. If it doesn’t have a post for a day or two its pretty much gone on our forums.

Its just for such a vocally requested feature it seemed to die quickly, not even much in the forms of updates from people testing it and “showing off” what they can do with it. :man_shrugging:

The holidays were probably a factor j in n the lack of discussion and testing.

1 Like

The way I see it is this test is really just for the folks that want to play with scripting. Since only PC players can test it, we already know what its like to be able to just build in creative mode since we have had the test server. Its not going to draw in the individuals who only really test to get a head start on what the new mechanics or blocks are/need.

So its probably only a very small amount of our current players who are interested in testing it compared to spending time in the game playing.

3 Likes

Possibly yeah. I’m an outsider on most of this update (well until the chat updates, pretty excited about those). So its not really the update itself that interested me, but rather what others would do with it and if it lived up to their expectations.

When this migrates to Live it will remain a prototype accessible via the Debugging UI (DUI). Interest in the prototype and scripting will determined how it progresses further.

Future steps would include: moving the control into the main UI, allowing easy connection to friend’s universes, local or remote hosting, etc.

4 Likes

The feature set was somewhat incomplete tbh, so not much could be done with it.

3 Likes