Testing 238: Prototype Creative Mode and Modding!

The only thing I’d like to do is mod out energy, since I fail to see how it provides any sort of enhanced gameplay. So tired of playing red light, green light and listening to my whimp of a character moan and groan as I’m mining or building or chiseling or anything in the game.

1 Like

There’s already a mod for the compass with making the cardinal directions above the compass bar. As that’s client side and not server side you can use it in the live universe. Tho don’t ask me how to do it :sweat_smile: I don’t use my pc account. It might be in one of the mod topics tho.

Have you tried starberry pie?

2 Likes

And not use persisting/teaching pies? No thank you.

Have you tried recovery brews?

2 Likes

This is what i was going to suggest, i use recovery brews with persisting pies when i don’t need to use strength brews.

2 Likes

1 they host it/its connected to main universe
2 they host it/its not connected to the main universe
3 you host it/its not connected to the main universe/anything goes

You can add mods to 3, you can change settings on 2.

Revenue stream on 1 & 2, Free advertisement on 3…

if it wasn’t for minecraft mods minecraft would still be popular, but not as much as it is today.

@Biv See: Long term game funding - #33 by james

2 Likes

Can I ask how you know it will be available on PS4 as I can’t see that in patch notes?

The change is on the server. PS/4 is a client. PC is a client. The current PC Testing release allows you to run your own servers locally and connect the PC test client to it (using virtual host-only “networking” between virtual machines).

What we don’t know for sure is if they will allow a local server to be run on the PS/4. I don’t know the technical or commercial limitations of the PS/4, and I suspect that even on PC the server won’t be able to be shared with other PCs. That means the final goal of this change would be Wonderstruck-hosted moddable universes that can be access by all clients, PC or PS/4.

OK thank you for clarifying

Initial direction and intent was that friends could play on other people’s local creative install. It is not confirmed that will happen until they can work through the programming and decide if they do actually allow it.

1 Like

PS4 can run local servers, that’s how (sometimes local) multiplayer is often implemented from minecraft to portal knights. So no technical or commercial limitations afaik.

The server currently only listens to localhost I believe, and there’s no way to point your client to connect to another server yet. Maybe one day we’ll have a minecraft-like main menu so we can choose where we connect to, make planets, manage and run the local universe etc.

1 Like

They are looking at FW (firewall) port opening/forwarding as an option to allow this.

2 Likes

FW stands for?

Sorry… firewall. Basically doing port forwarding on your local ISP router to allow communication through the firewall.

Sweet. The F1 menu on PC Testing pretty much already works like that (except the World Builder, which is a separate application you need to start from Steam). This will put PS/4 and PC on equal footing for everything except the Test client (which Sony forbids for non-technical reasons) – it would mean PS/4 folks would at least get the equivalent of the F9 give menu.

It also means I could stuff a server in an AWS instance for a persistent, always-on universe.

Has anyone who played with the world builder attempted to import the custom world using the 3 planet files as a template?

The custom server binds to a ip and port address so it wouldnt be that hard to just copy the binaries to a server or use steamcmd to install the game remotely.

Only issue right now is just configuring a local client manually to connect to that server address.

So it’s already listening on other interfaces than localhost? Cool!

the mods would not be in the main game they would be on someones private server with no connection
to the main servers

Yes and from what i see we could probably already host planets on our own hardware.