Testing 238: Prototype Creative Mode and Modding!

@majorvex There you go NOW I can talk about it after months of biting my tongue…

Finally glad the start of this direction is coming to fruition. Congrats Boundless Devs!

11 Likes

So let me get this right… none of this is actually going to affect the main game?

1 Like

Sounds a lot like the inital plugins we got with Bukkit servers back in the old days of minecraft when people didnt want to mess with the game.

there were a LOT more bukkit/sponge/spigot servers then there were other servers and honestly i think most of the popular servers in minecraft are vanilla with server side plugins.

this is going to open a lot of potential up.

5 Likes

Exactly!

Maybe just maybe when we ask for it they can vet mods/scripts to be run on the normal planets if they are well-behaved…

4 Likes

I wouldn’t assume anything. This is experimental and way too early and no one in the forums knows what it will end up and can speculate only right now. Your best bet is to clearly outline your concerns around MMO and Creative mode interactions and post in forums (I’d also PM James so he knows your thoughts).

3 Likes

Oh in that case im not really bother about any of this haha, i thought it might be a bit more interesting than this :joy:

Ohmygosh! This is fantastic!!! Thank you guys soooo much, gonna play with this. Might have some interesting ideas.

1 Like

This is huge. This is great for Boundless. Everybody strap in, if you weather the next couple years you will be the “Elders” The “Ancients” The Yodas for thousands of players. Modding is going to allow Boundless to compete with “It Who Must Not Be Named”. It will take some time to catch on and refine but I believe Modding will allow for more content that will draw the masses.

This update may not affect the normal play much, but it is huge for the long run. I think this is worth postponing the warp wraith, and Titans and a craft all button and farming and Pa…maybe not pants tho…I for one am looking forward to the fruits of this labor!

Well done Wonderstruck!

11 Likes

Maybe I’m missing the long-term significance of this, but I don’t understand why a creative mode would be priority. It’s just going to take players from the already sparsely populated live universe…

7 Likes

Totally disagree.
To be clear, this update isn’t interesting to me either.
Still, it is interesting nontheless to some, and that should be enough.
It’s also quite commendable to have such an update being announced so close to X-mas. I would’ve thought that nothing would be announced before January.

The game doesn’t need “new mobs” more than this, that’s 100% subjective. Everybody will have a different opinion on that. The game needs A LOT of things to be added, period.

And maybe don’t whine because the devs announced something that’s PC-only, come on… :roll_eyes:
Maybe they will find a way to add it to PS4 later…
Also, are you sure “most” of the playerbase is on PS4? Do you have actual numbers for that, or is it something you pulled out of nowhere? :thinking:

9 Likes

Can it be confirmed by a dev that the intention is for this to be available to everyone at some point?

Only because of the following line in the notes:

1 Like

I may be mistaken, but I don’t think that their comments were to do with the platform. :man_shrugging:

I’m skeptical how many people want a true 100% everything-is-free creative mode. Less grind? Yeah. Shorter crafting times? Definitely. But the gameplay is still desired.

Anyway congrats dev’s on the hard work for modding. Gonna be interesting to see what people come up with. Have a good holiday break.

2 Likes

I would say it is better to see that this is a development timeline and roadmap of its own in the near term. Where it ends up after a few iterations could be VERY different than what we see now.

I have talked about this maybe 3 times with James. In each discussion we talked about a variety of directions this could go or what it might include, etc. The last one included comments about people going back and forth between this (with different inventories and blocks not crossing from creative to public) as well as playing with friends (them seeing your worlds and connecting). I think this is the easiest way to provide player based content (dungeons, etc) when it is connected. It also protects from segmented Universes and just opens things up for everyone. The only caveat would be when I am offline, my creative universe is offline.

Of course - to execute something like that requires time and a lot of things to be put in place. Something might come up where it stops the option of merging and they stay separated. So I’m not saying it will happen and that it only was on the table as a possible direction. It will happen once they take the time to see if they can implement it and do… or don’t… who knows.

(note: we didn’t talk about PS. IF it can happen they will add it maybe. They need to answer that. It ws experimental and PC was already set up for it.)

4 Likes

Eh, maybe not, but then they’re both saying “I don’t need it, so they shouldn’t be doing it”. That’s still whining.

Heh, I was neither agreeing or disagreeing on the whining part :grimacing:

Just didn’t want this to fall into a platform war…

They already have by running the scripts on the server…

That this testing environment is PC only is nothing new, just like any other testing release…

Does that matter? Many players I encounter have a PSN id attached, does not matter if it’s 50/50, 60/40 or 40/60 the number is significant enough…

Yeah when nothing released last Friday I didn’t expect it today at all, was thinking next testing to release in January!

It’s dinner time at the moment, already created a quick world, they are sadly flat as can be at the moment and the worlds are small, 1 region (??), need to get into Lua too and see what the current exposed functions of the game can do in a few hours time.

This could be fun!

I really, really do hope the devs will be able to vet some scripts so they can run on the current Live MMO planets tho, things like new blocks, interactive blocks, basically anything with which we can create new content on Live MMO planets would be so awesome!

1 Like

Out of curiosity, in layman’s terms, what do you need to make this work?
Can you basically invite a friend to play with you?
If there’s a plane world and we have a Give-menu, this could be a nice testing ground for builds.

1 Like

I guess this would also allow the ground work for pvp severs?

2 Likes

It’s included in the Testing version. Press F1 in Testing, click Creative Mode and a dialog screen appears where you need to start a Discovery server and create a planet and start it. Then teleport to it, create new char and voila. So just your regular PC is needed…

Don’t think so, this is just to test the creative mode stuff am sure that in future these will run on remote servers as well. Heck maybe this is needed for the private rental planets where one can change all the rules?? I dunno, seems somewhat logical…

Yup, most certainly is, really flat tho :smiley:

4 Likes