Testing 238: Prototype Creative Mode and Modding!

This update opens the floodgates for new content. It may only be the first domino in a long term goal and may not seem like much. It’s not just the creative world, it’s the allowance for public manipulation and modding. The dev’s can now see how the public uses and abuses the code and form it into what they see as an end goal. From this I see dungeons, blueprints, new machines, new blocks, new textures and much more. We have been tugging on the Dev’s coats for new content constantly and this will increase how many people are working on content whether sanctioned or not.

10 Likes

If that’s a thing we can do, you can bet your sweet peepee that I would at least be giving a looksy at making custom block textures. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

It is very flat. no trees or other constructs. It does have mobs

Uh. It generates mobs, but doesn’t generate wild crops?

It does have grass, but in the short time I was on the planet “Krypton” (yes you do name your planet) I did not see anything other than grass. No water, hills, trees, or ground resources. I did not dig down to see if the ground was all one block type. Need more time to explore.

1 Like

I have to also agree, when I read the details of this update all I saw was the devs saying here is the tools to do what you want but this is usually followed by a less active development cycle in others games. IE: Devs don’t know where or what they want to do or funding is to low to continue or they are out of ideas… lets hope this isn’t the case. This update adds nothing of interest for the vast majority of players.

2 Likes

I know people who would definitely be interested by the possibility of hosting a private server, specifically because they got burned on live by interacting with some toxic players, so they would have more fun playing alone, cut-off from the rest of the live universe.

I, however, would be far more interested in generating my own live world. I already have ideas on how it would look, which colors I would want to see, etc.

But maybe this Creative Mode thing could allow us to also create prefabs to give the devs so they can use them on live? That would be interesting too.

It’s deliberately a default “flat world” for prototyping.

Worlds will come from the Worldbuilder or public or private library.

Think if it as a blank piece of paper…

18 Likes

:crossed_fingers:hoping this could be the beginning of building in creative mode and importing builds into the game via blueprints. Either way it will surely be a great addition to the game. :beers:

6 Likes

First of all, I think it’s a great idea to plan buildings.

Modding: I’m not a fan of it. It always looks like the developers need help. (my view)

My biggest fear with this update is that most players will switch to creative, leaving the normal server empty. You also start a new construction site without completing the first (the main mode). What is your goal in creative mode?

And please … Do not neglect the development of the main mode because of a second mode.

4 Likes

It wont be empty stop making assumptions please.

This topic always bring an equal amount of people from both sides, this who find creative boring and those who don’t.

I don’t see any where a Dev saying they will drop main universe development so there is nothing to worry about, this update just brings MORE possibilities for the game

7 Likes

We will see. :confused:

Only during early testing… it is destined for all platforms

2 Likes

I think the Devs will allow modding on the main game …they will likely approve ones for the main universe…like a mod that opens a door when you get near it…the potential is HUGE

2 Likes

But imagine being able to on live with Dev approval of course being able to have domestic Woodstock on your land form a herd and all defend against player or mob attack? OPEN your IMAGINATION!!! This has great potential!

2 Likes

I can’t see myself giving up playing in the main universe but designing an entire planet from a flat default sounds interesting. Creating your own mountains, canyons, seas, lakes, etc could be fun.

2 Likes

Will this positively or negatively effect the main universe?

3 Likes

You mean transport the whole building or only the plans and a list of used materials that you still need to collect and place? If it is the latter I will help you hope.

3 Likes

IMO i don’t think it will hurt the live universe.

This is a tool.

Maybe some that like creative mode will play on this but they usually won’t play on the live universe anyways. Most of the people don’t like to play alone too.

6 Likes

I personal think that creative can get boring really quickly.

But it will be really useful to build ideas first without wasting materials :smile:

5 Likes