Testing 238: Prototype Creative Mode and Modding!

To an extent, I agree, and that’s why I was always able to accept at least SOME constraints and why I never had an innate aversion to participating in the live universe. One of me, and your planet would have a grand capital city… Two of me, and you might have a metropolis that wraps around the entire planet at some point… Five of me, and there’d be nowhere left to gather. Realistically, I like to build tall as well as wide, so even my 10k plots would be less of a burden on real estate than some of the sprawling locations I’ve seen… but, realistically, you can’t leave everyone with 10k plots and come back the next day and expect that they’ll all use them in a way that’s considerate to their neighbors.

But turning away from plotting and looking exclusively at the production side of things, I’ve always felt it was too hard to even fill the available plots with materials I wanted to use. So many players have spent THOUSANDS of hours just to reach a plot count and a stockpile of resources that I’d like to work with… A thousand hours? That’s how long it took me to master the violin. I should be able to construct an Oort Galactic Federation in that amount of time.

At any rate, if someone started a petition for a 20% resource bump in the live universe, I’d sign that without hesitation. But if it’s also in the pipeline that I can build whatever I want, wherever I want, with the game’s current setup, without stepping on anyone else’s toes…?

… Yes.

4 Likes

If creative mode is released as “free,” the game’s popularity will skyrocket. How do you make money from that? Texture packs, world packs, pre-made cities to explore, possibly with NPCs, candy worlds like in old-school Populous…

And all this popularity will encourage people to try “real” Boundless. Some will stay, most won’t, but a lot will play for a very long time. Boundless is so niche, you can’t honestly expect everyone to like it. But almost everybody loves a good creative mode game.

Tellin ya, texture packs and merchandise are where it’s at. And if you never personally play Creative mode, that’s ok too!

4 Likes

OK, I’m forced to go ahead and ask, but is there a Linux version of the lobby and world servers?

3 Likes

Yes - all the Live servers run on Linux.

5 Likes

I think this is a real thing the dev’s face. They can only create content so quickly.

Provide the players with tools to create content and it will help them have time to make feature rich releases.

6 Likes

Resource levels have changed a lot since release. Not certain if you mean based on now vs when you played.

Planets are pretty packed with resources.

My ideas encompass a thousand or few thousand plots and many many resources. This is a builder’s dream. Creative mode. IF ONLY IT WAS PS4!

I probably could’ve written that a lot better… I wasn’t referring to the availability of resources for harvesting, so much as the requirements for building materials. In practical terms, either increasing the number of drops per swing or reducing the cost of making everything by a similar proportion.

3 Likes

Yep I think so too hence it would be awesome if there will be a subset of the scripting API that can be used on Live servers!

So is the plan to migrate the live universe to lua too?

I assume that would have to be done to allow the scripting in the main universe?

Would that be able to be done without a wipe?

Sorry for mentioning the word wipe but my lack of knowledge in how all this works got me thinking about the logistical side of things!

Edit: just been informed that lua would be an addition the server, not a replacement, so it would not effect anything currently in the game when added!

That’s good the hear!

I’m trying to figure out how you got to that world

It’s just additional functionality for the planet servers, it works on the existing data so no need to migrate anything and thus a wipe is also not needed.

To the creative world? You have Testing installed? Did you create a planet yet? Did you start the planet server? You can then teleport to it…

I’m trying to figure out how you got to that world

To the creative world? You have Testing installed? Did you create a planet yet? Did you start the planet server? You can then teleport to it…

Yah i did when i go to the portal for it says its offline though when i check the debug menu says its online. Then when i try to teleport to it it sends me to sanctuary. Just recently got it on the pc. Been playing on the ps4 so new to being able to go into testing for this game.

Under the name of the planet server, is there a Start or a Stop button? If there’s a Start button, press it…

i did that and then teleported to it. For some reason it didn’t wanna work. got it working using the none flat worlds for some reason

1 Like

Even in Creative Mode, you are sometimes lucky.
Although it doesn’t really matter over there :smile:

But if you want them fancy Twinkle Blocks,
you have to craft some from separate items.
You cant give them to yourself by using the F9-key :thinking:

1 Like

The F9 key has never given seasonal items, so that’s not unique to twinkle lights.

1 Like

I do hope that @James and the Devs make sure that in creative land we can give ALL items including the event ones. I understand that in testing that this might be hard because it is the code that needs to go to live but hopefully there is a way to do this in the creative version.

2 Likes

This is absolutely amazing news, @james. Truly awesome. Creative mode plus modding will REALLY open this game up to the masses. There are many of us who can’t stand the grind anymore and just want to build and be creative so THANK YOU for these initial steps. I’m excited to see where this goes.

6 Likes

Alright, how many people are actively using the scripting features on Testing?

I really want to do something with it and I understand why there’s not much documentation yet but the idea of having to fiddle around with code trying to determine what properties/methods are there on certain objects and to determine if the ideas I have can even be done are holding me back.

Also the knowledge of how it’s currently implemented means anything we write won’t ever be able to run on Live.

Let me explain that with an example. Say I want to make a hidden door, looks like normal blocks but the blocks are temporarily removed when a player stands/walks over a certain area and then the player can go thru. Once it’s moved thru or away from the opening up area it will put the blocks back.

This means writing an event handler that is being called every single frame (ie. 60 times a second for 60 fps), needs to iterate over all the connected players, then check if any of these players is either on the opening or closing position. If they are then do the block removing/putting back thing.

Now imagine that code running on a Live planet with 40 players…

Then imagine more than one hidden door and thus more than one event handler being active. Imagine 10 players each having 10 of those hidden doors on the same planet…

Lag fest here we come!

So that type of code won’t ever be able to run on a Live server, of course it already could not since it allows access to any and all the block info that is on the planet, hehe, but still, even a simple subset of it will make such scripts as I talked about above be a no-no on Live due to performance alone…

We need a subset, but I think we need to come up with lists of things that we want to script (and preferably as detailed as possible) so the devs can come up with solutions that won’t be such a huge hit to performance and that doesn’t make use of having to read entire chunks of block data…