Testing 241: Beacon Reclaims!

Updated OP with details of 241.4.

9 Likes

(Note: in particular this was a case of the “variation” marble frieze blocks you get from using a block-changer forged chisel being present in a coupe storage inventories, which always drop the original crafted base type only and hence “illegal” for an inventory. Still trying to figure out how these Items managed to be created (no “hacking” suspected as being possible to begin with here, just some bug somewhere that managed to produce them to be tracked down))

2 Likes

This is a very very long thread; are the instructions for this for someone with Gleam Club in this thread somewhere? I watched Jiivita’s video but I have no Reclaim option in the beacon options. I was hoping to use this to remove many little gathering stash huts I have scattered everywhere andl let the space be used by someone else.

1 Like

The reclaim feature has not been added to live yet. It’s only available on the test server.
Gleam club does not apply to the test server.

3 Likes

Oops ::blush:: that explains it, thanks.

3 Likes

I wasn’t able to double check on testing as the servers seem to be down but I think this spark should be consumed slower as compact peat. This is still a perfect solution if you must move your spark generator, or reclaim your build.

But if it is consumed as fast or faster than compact hard coal it allows us to upgrade fuel for free.

At the moment it’s quite a challenge to build a workshop. You have the 100 spark link length restriction that forces you to build compact and you have the 512 complex object restriction that forces you to build not too compact. And if you’re using peat for fuel you most likely want to add multiple 16 spark generators cluster because of limited durability. (16 generators can consume only 1 SS of peat before they break, to consume e.g. 5 SS you need 80 generators)

If this change goes live and if this spark is going to be consumed nearly instant here’s what I’m going to do.

Instead of trying to connect as many machines as possible to as many spark generator clusters as possible I’m going to hook up the machines to a spark line and add 1 generator to it.

Then I’ll build another room filled with spark generators that I use to convert fuel to spark. The spark can then later be added to the generators in the workshop at which ever machine I need.

If this change goes live it’ll just make the most optimal way to use spark the most annoying one. Can you maybe consider to implement this change too? Have spark just exist “in the beacon”?

2 Likes

How would it be free? Still will need the time to change it from peat,coal,compact etc and plus the wear on the machines etc. Only true free thing in the game is the basic totem. :sweat_smile: and people selling it will obviously charge more than the counter parts due to the extra wear, repair, and time needed

Also Im not sure cause I haven’t tested it but isn’t the wear on the spark generator dependent on the amount of spark being processed. So the 1000 spark will wear them out faster

2 Likes

Normally that is the case but each spark item was using 0.8 durability each during testing… since you’re just transferring power rather than generating it I guess

Yes, converting peat to compact peat is not free, nor is converting compact peat to spark. But these things you have to do one way or another.

What is free is converting spark power into the the new spark item. You just break the generator and there it is. Now if this spark item is better then compact peat to produce spark, e.g. because it’s faster or produces less wear, you have upgraded your compact peat to the better spark item, for free. (The alternative to upgrade peat as a fuel sources needs these expensive plant thingies. Should the spark item really be better then enriched peat?)

But my main problem is: If this spark item is to good, the spark generators that produce the spark item, which will be the ones that get the heavy wear and run for a long time burning peat, don’t have to be connected to the machines anymore. Why not just get rid of the spark lines? Everybody hates them.

Not everone’s workshop is on one beacon. Mine is on two, my main and my crafter alt…

2 Likes

Why shouldn’t it be better? Whose to say how it was made? I don’t use peat. I use compact hard coal. So to me it should be at least that. And what about the people that use enriched?

Also one of my workshops is setup with basically no spark links at all already. Been that way since before farming update. I actually prefer one gen to each machine

Well converting spark into spark… I mean it’s already spark o.O it’s like charging you cellphone, sure some of the engegy is lost as heat but not a whole lot in comparison to when it was originally generated…

I also don’t see a problem with generating spark one place and using it another… it is sufficiently annoying to discourage doing it within the same beacon and yet enticing enough for players to generate it and sell it to others who don’t want to wait or have their own massive generators

Exporting power happens in real life all the time… it seems like a natural addition to the boundless economy

7 Likes

Annoyance should never be the driving factor because… we just do it anyway and curse the game.

Make the spark item very slow, slower then peat. Then combine it with combustion particles to speed it up. Why should this new spark item be better then enriched something? Why should you be able to upgrade fuel without the expensive combustion particles?

Because it is already once converted into spark.

6 Likes

Why should it take twice as long to use the new spark. Once to create it and then again to load it into a different generator? I fail to see how this is an exploit to the system.

4 Likes

The spark asset happened likely because of a conversation about people losing their “spark” during a reclaim that I had with James. They had the asset but don’t think it was on the books to use. So it was really just a 1-1 linking to what people had in their spark generator. So my assumption is that it was added back to try to equate that. I don’t think it should be used for anything beyond filling back up that generator.

1 Like

If there is a situation where using the spark item makes more sense then other fuel it is going to be used in that situation.

Per the notes and what the asset is going to be used for:

So people put it back into the spark generator to give you the spark that would have been lost in a reclaim.

1 Like

But someone has to create it first from another fuel source before it can even be traded.

Not sure what the problem is here puzzled look

3 Likes

Current situation: Adding spark to your system takes time, quite a bit time. It’s not possible to create spark just in time for a big workshop. But adding million of spark to a system is a commitment, because you have to use that spark up and you don’t have your more flexible fuel anymore.

New situation: Just load as much spark as possible into your system because you can always get it back, for free, in a superior quality. You have 20 million spark in one workshop and non in your other? Just break the generator and immediately refill it with 10 million and the other workshop with the remaining 10 million. Or even sell the 10 million if you like. There is no commitment anymore for putting fuel into your generator - it’s not the ideal thing to do.

This is, in my opinion, a big change to the game. If that’s not intended, the spark item should be nerfed before it’s released. If it is intended, then, we should have a better way to produce it instead of breaking the generator. It’s easy to do but not immersive and feels wrong. Add a recipe to one of the machines.