Testing 241: Beacon Reclaims!

Did we get a answer on the release of these wonderful new additions

You see what me see :cry:

1 Like

I did make a post asking for them in block form recently. Plan to bring it whenever I get a chance to talk in person again. We should have the space in the block space for something like this especially if we keep it simple like the same character on each side or just 1 side.

4 Likes

Also all knowledge base icons would be cool to have as ‘emojis’

2 Likes

Instead of emoji, personally i prefer some art work or icon more related to Boundless’s graphic style.
To be honest, emoji’s style looks very different as Boundless’s style. It looks very weird in game :dizzy_face:

10 Likes

I’m sorry to say this, but after seeing more of these in game, I’m starting to think the same already… I’m not sure the art style fits the current theme of Boundless at all (and it won’t be long before people stop complaining about gleam towers and poo huts* and switch to complaints about giant poop or other emojis dotting the landscape.

I think I would much prefer having an emoji for each of the in game items, along with some of the previously concepted stickers.

*Ok, ok, people will always complain about gleam towers and poo huts

17 Likes

What’s the actual text that was typed here which is being censored? You can turn off the profanity filter temporarily (to save you from typing the text on the forum here), but this is something that we need to fix.

1 Like

Agreed.
I mean, in all honesty, I don’t personally see what I’d do with these emojis, but I’m also already seeing some people over-using them, and it’s going to drastically change the game’s landscape.

Are these emojis limited to Gleam-Club users?

4 Likes

I remember a similarly reaction to the release of leds…a lot of hype/interest , some real concern but in the end some mild cases of overuse but otherwise not widely seen. Hoping this will be the case here.
Used well this new addition could be fun, if used in moderation but I doubt we will see wide spread use of these.
As to concern over abuse, you can already write something rude or passive aggressive but have the ability to report a sign…guessing the same here? Can also can build offensive/rude structures but the landscape seems fairly well devoid of these

2 Likes

Yeah, I mean, sure, you can technically abuse everything.
But I don’t think it’s the same thing between LEDs which are a Boundless-made block, and these emojis which are looking very similar to the ones you have on chat apps and such.

If people make LEDs towers, I honestly don’t mind. I mean, personally, I will think “meh, it’s a bit ugly”. I recently saw a pixel-art gleam thing depicting a dabbing unicorn. Made me laugh, but also “ugh…”, but it’s fair enough. It took actual work to do.
Now if you just have to put signs to blast giant emojis at people’s faces, it’s going to create a lot of drama.
Just sayin’, the devs are gonna end-up having to clean some messes.

I agreed with Stretchious on the fact that we should instead have the stickers that were teased a long time ago.

2 Likes

I suggest move this emoji thing to next patch, so you guys can have more time to test how everyone think about it. Because this emoji feature I believe it will change city’s style a lot. I won’t say it must be a negative change, but its huge for sure. In my opinion, this change even bigger than beacon reclaims, so I think it need more time to consider releasing it or not.

2 Likes

I suggest to not do such things at all and just release it ASAP.

Why is it that people always see the negative things of new features and never the positive?

I’m happy with this addition, I won’t be using them in abundance, I don’t need all the smileys or other weird symbols, but there are plenty of them I will use and you can be sure that won’t be ugly one bit…

Worry less, enjoy life, it’s short as it is…

4 Likes

Those will probably come too one day. These are just special characters they now also allow on signs and they added vector graphic versions of them so they can be rendered nicely in different sizes. Stickers as once written about is a totally different thing.

It’s like saying, yeah skip these emojis and give us titans instead…

1 Like

nothing new there :grin: they do seem to enjoy creating extra work for themselves…
do definitely agree that a texture etc based sticker would be a lot more useful but hopefully they have that in mind with this new system being introduced.

What a wonderful idea! Let’s do this! :rofl::yum::cheese:

3 Likes

Well, looks like you like this emoji system a lot.
But in my taste it looks terrible as hell.

So, its their decision to make if this is a good call to release this feature in such short time.
Otherwise I think Goblinounours is correct, they are gonna end-up having to clean some messes for sure.

I don’t mind those emoji pop up in the chat, just don’t want to see a giant smile face pop up everywhere.

1 Like

I like it because there are a few in there that can be very useful and I know many will find creative fun ways to use them too.

I also like it because it opens up the possibility of later on adding all in-game icons as seen in the knowledge tab. I would love to display a sign above my Noms 'n More market stall with a giant Teaching Pie on it :slight_smile:

And of course in future we might be able to upload our own vector models for use on signs and perhaps as stickers!

Indeed it is. Also do not forget everyone who will want to use these on signs will have to pay for Gleam Club. Postponing this means less income for our beloved devs :wink:

I don’t see any use for giant smileys on signs, I do see uses for many of the other symbols tho which is why I am excited for it!

5 Likes

…and the community brings the :wine_glass:.

New glass signs look great! Lots of possibilities here… Instead of focusing on what other players will do with these emojis, I’ll be thinking of how I can use this new application to my benefit.

Use emojis or don’t use them, people. Report griefing. Simple as that.

IMG_1203

11 Likes

Well, its very hard to say, because everyone has different taste, and we can’t tell how many of people think it looks beautiful. Nothing wrong about it, just I personally don’t want to see it. Also I don’t think i am the only one feel this emoji thing doesn’t fit boundless well. This why they will need to face some issue in the future i think. Don’t even mention how many trouble it will cause.

For example if I want to troll some one, I can build a lot of giant :grinning: or :poop::poop::poop::poop: in front of his house. It won’t against the rule, but it already affect others. All they need is gleam club.

So please, when you guys want to create some system will cause huge influence, please be more careful, and the smart way is to release the feature you guys can control for example some boundless style painting with different size as sign. Those won’t cause any trouble for sure.

3 Likes

Yep, this… I think it makes Boundless more Boundless. :slight_smile: I look forward to seeing the community’s use of them - I think it will be a nice mix of beautiful, clever, and funny. Gives me a lot of ideas to play with myself (bordering walls and flooring, small detailing is the big draw to me… and a little silly humor probably :wink: ).

And someone builds in a way I’m not a fan of? Well, I think everything that isn’t trolling has it’s merit, but if something doesn’t please my eyes personally, I just move on. Same trolling rules apply so I don’t think there will be issues there.

Only thing I’d do is actually make them a little easier to use, for the kids and all - like being able to click on a scroll list of them rather than code, like you can do here, if that were possible.

5 Likes