Testing 241: Beacon Reclaims!

I like it because there are a few in there that can be very useful and I know many will find creative fun ways to use them too.

I also like it because it opens up the possibility of later on adding all in-game icons as seen in the knowledge tab. I would love to display a sign above my Noms 'n More market stall with a giant Teaching Pie on it :slight_smile:

And of course in future we might be able to upload our own vector models for use on signs and perhaps as stickers!

Indeed it is. Also do not forget everyone who will want to use these on signs will have to pay for Gleam Club. Postponing this means less income for our beloved devs :wink:

I don’t see any use for giant smileys on signs, I do see uses for many of the other symbols tho which is why I am excited for it!

5 Likes

…and the community brings the :wine_glass:.

New glass signs look great! Lots of possibilities here… Instead of focusing on what other players will do with these emojis, I’ll be thinking of how I can use this new application to my benefit.

Use emojis or don’t use them, people. Report griefing. Simple as that.

IMG_1203

11 Likes

Well, its very hard to say, because everyone has different taste, and we can’t tell how many of people think it looks beautiful. Nothing wrong about it, just I personally don’t want to see it. Also I don’t think i am the only one feel this emoji thing doesn’t fit boundless well. This why they will need to face some issue in the future i think. Don’t even mention how many trouble it will cause.

For example if I want to troll some one, I can build a lot of giant :grinning: or :poop::poop::poop::poop: in front of his house. It won’t against the rule, but it already affect others. All they need is gleam club.

So please, when you guys want to create some system will cause huge influence, please be more careful, and the smart way is to release the feature you guys can control for example some boundless style painting with different size as sign. Those won’t cause any trouble for sure.

3 Likes

Yep, this… I think it makes Boundless more Boundless. :slight_smile: I look forward to seeing the community’s use of them - I think it will be a nice mix of beautiful, clever, and funny. Gives me a lot of ideas to play with myself (bordering walls and flooring, small detailing is the big draw to me… and a little silly humor probably :wink: ).

And someone builds in a way I’m not a fan of? Well, I think everything that isn’t trolling has it’s merit, but if something doesn’t please my eyes personally, I just move on. Same trolling rules apply so I don’t think there will be issues there.

Only thing I’d do is actually make them a little easier to use, for the kids and all - like being able to click on a scroll list of them rather than code, like you can do here, if that were possible.

5 Likes

I also do not like the new emoji system. I agree that they do not reflect the art style of Boundless at all. It might have been a fairly easy implementation but that does not mean it is good for the look of the game. I understand all builds do not have to be serious, but these are a very easy way for a player to greatly affect the environment.

I disagree that there will be very much the developers can do about it when someone places huge smiley faces in the middle of a themed city. It all comes down to allowing players the freedom to do what they want with their builds.

I do wish the developers had used some of their own art or allowed screen shots to be placed on signs. I believe this might have been a lot of additional effort, versus the emoji’s but it would have been my preference. It is too bad that once these are allowed in game we will be stuck with them forever. I am not sure I understand why allowing more feedback from players before putting these in the game is such a bad idea.

6 Likes

Ahh but trolling can be reported, right now there are many ways to troll as well, people who do will now use a different method perhaps, it won’t stop them from wanting to troll either way.

Indeed, and perhaps I don’t like your build style and don’t want to see it either but nothing to be done about it!

Not saying I don’t like your builds, don’t by heart even know what is yours, just an example…

Thing is tho, many of these images can be used in a positive, constructive way and I do not see a reason to have the devs postpone it because of the possible nasty things people might do. Also a bad idea to postpone a new feature because people might make something with it that some do not like. If that is what they have to keep in mind every time nothing will be added because everything can be abused…

Let them just release as is, ok? We already had a change to that spark after excessive nonsensical complaining and quite frankly am getting sick of it all.

And this is just some characters on a sign, if this is causing a huge influence then I am expecting one very small update once every 2 years from now on since everything then will be…

4 Likes

Its very hard for them to judge. Before if Troll build something really ugly, base on my experience James will popup and remove it. But those giant sign with cute :grinning::poop: how are they going to consider it is a trolling or not ?

Its not complaining, its just my opinion and how I feel about this emoji system.
If the opposite side of opinion considering as complaining, they should just lock the thread and release the patch.

3 Likes

Excellent idea!

1 Like

Are you sure those are actual icons, like transparent pictures?
Because they look like the actual 3D models rendered in the GUI instead of icons. Can a dev like @lucadeltodecso confirm this?

Although, I would also love to be able to put a teaching pie icon on a sign and stuff, if my understanding is correct, I won’t hold my breath for icons on signs. ^^

I won’t use smilies and such, but I saw a ‘scroll’ emoji, which might look pretty nice on a sign where I write guidelines or rules. Still, to me, it’ll be a gadget, I’ll live without it.

But I would love actual icons, kinda like the ones we have on the compass.
Add these in the ‘emoji’ system, please!

You’ll be able to make a Portal Hub and put the purple Portal logo on a sign. I mean, not the actual purple logo, but a version with just the white part, and we can color it like letters.
Stuff like that, I’d pay to get it.

3 Likes

We can even do huge math equations with them on really large signs!!! Yayy!!!

(:broken_heart:+ :hocho:) + (:disappointed_relieved:+ :gun:) = (:ambulance:+ :skull_and_crossbones:)

Hmm…I wonder if a sign like that is reportable? Maybe to a psychologist ha!

2 Likes

100% agree with the folks who are saying this doesn’t seem like something that fits in the Boundless universe and that doing custom Boundless symbols and emojis would have made far more sense. Honestly shocked someone’s time was spent working on a real emoji system when there are so many other teased things that could have been further polished and pushed out. Just baffling, almost to the point of being ignorant.

Oh well, one more thing to ignore and forget about once there are private worlds. /shrug.

5 Likes

Emojis have been on game longer time. Signs just get now finally supported, which is good.
James has made own topic of wishes of Boundless related emojis, so those will come :soon::tm:

Complaining about emojis on signs is just same like how people dislike other buildings, nothing new :smiley:.

5 Likes

As much as I do like them myself, for those that don’t want to see them, would it be possible to create a toggle to turn the view of them off? Sort of like the censor - toggle emojis off, it renders all of them invisible so you’d just see glass or wood or whatever? Might be a good compromise if possible.

6 Likes

This is a 10/10 fantastic idea!

I share the same thoughts as some people here, that i don’t feel like emoji’s fit into this universe at all. However, if we can just toggle them off, i’d be happy as can be!

5 Likes

Might be weird, though. We’ll see a number of empty signs. ^^

1 Like

Well, at least those empty signs fit the Boundless universe lol :grinning:

1 Like

Take my +1. This would be really nice.

2 Likes

Yep, not perfect but in that case, if the toggle were easily accessible, could turn it on and off as needed - someone who might otherwise not want to see them might turn it on occasionally for some builds.

… If possible, of course, I know nothing about coding or anything, haha, so not sure if that could be done.

Sounds like an interesting concept. Do you think it is possible to suppress emoji’s without suppressing actual letters? I guess you could maybe toggle the code that makes them possible, but would that suppress them from displaying or just creating them?

2 Likes

Ah, now THAT is where I’d have to give a big :flushed: lol - no clue I’m afraid if it is actually possible, I’m dumb as a rock when it comes to technical stuff. :joy: