Testing 241: Beacon Reclaims!

No thanks that will mess up builds that actually use them in a positive way

Then I might as well not use them at all and they then become utterly useless.

2 Likes

I don’t see why not. I’m sure they could figure out something where the opacity of smilies are turned to 0 if you check an option. Or the game loads an empty emoji file instead of the normal one.
The smilies would technically still be there, but you wouldn’t be able to see them.

They would still show for those who chose to view them, only the people who toggled it off wouldn’t see them, is the way I was envisioning it. But, just not sure if something like that would be possible. I’d keep them turned on for sure, I love them myself - I think most would, but for those who it really bothered, would provide an option.

So if I use them in my builds in a positive way that actually makes the build nicer then that effect will be lost, then what will the point be of them?

Sorry makes no sense to me

3 Likes

Read my reply again. If I use it in an essential way it ruins the build. No thanks

2 Likes

Granted, but I think the proper compromise would be to actually look through the list of smilies and see which ones are working for everybody, and which ones aren’t.

I’m pretty sure all of the people opposing these emojis agree that it’s because they do not fit with the game’s universe. They look like the Sony Emoji movie bleed through in the game.

We’re not saying we don’t actually want to use pictures on signs!
We’re saying “not these”.

3 Likes

How will it mess up builds? You’ll still be able to see them. If it’s a simple toggle and someone with it off comes by and sees a mass of signs and wants to be able to see your work, they can toggle it on and then turn it off again. It’s all personal preference and if you want it on 24/7, nothing is ruined.

Just as people saying you can simply not use them if you don’t like to those of us who are not fans of them I would say to you that you could use them if you wanted to use them and not use the toggle if you don’t want the toggle…calling the development utterly useless merely because someone on some world who might never visit your build wants to toggle them off seems…extreme.

2 Likes

Citizens emojis would have been SOOOOO COOL. Instead there’s giant yellow round faces. A missed opportunity.

3 Likes

OK then I also want toggles to make entire beacons not show or leds or refined gleam and, and, and…

I hate where this is going…

5 Likes

Well seeing how those aren’t aesthetic and are actual blocks…I think it’s going to be easier to toggle on/off the a graphic on a block than to allow someone to completely pretend your build doesn’t exist :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m done with this, blech

Understood. Just a brainstorm, figured I’d throw it out, definitely wouldn’t want to implement something that might ruin fun for anybody.

I mean, nothing would ever be released if this were the case…

6 Likes

Come on, you’re exagerating this.
You can’t compare blocks and art actually 100% made by Wonderstruck with Boundless’ universe in mind, with these standard emojis.

Don’t act like a build suddenly becomes worthless because ‘some people’ might want to hide the emojis you’re using. We’re not using emojis on Live now.

But honestly, if people start making builds that rely entirely on emojis, yeah, I for one would find that sucky.

3 Likes

So what is the difference in this suggestion and someone who is using the light skill going into my carefully lit build? They are not seeing it the way I intended so the effect is lost. So should we remove the light skill so players have to see the builds the way the builder intended?

7 Likes

Why do you assume that Boundless themed emojis aren’t being worked on? Most of these were already in game. They have been busy with the coding for the beacons. This seems like it was something that could be implemented quickly to give us something creative sooner. Boundless emojis will take a lot more work. But I’m sure there will be plenty of ungrateful players when those are added too.

2 Likes

Could you please point out where I assumed they weren’t being worked on? I need to go back and make an edit to that post! Unfortunately I’m not one of the special people James shares his secrets with so I try not to make assumptions about anything being worked or not worked on!

I merely don’t see the need for IRL emojis at all but if it gives people more creative power, then do your thing y’all! I don’t plan to play again until private worlds are released anyway so doesn’t bother me as I won’t use them once that happens. What bothers me is regardless of how quick this may have been to implement the fact that it was implemented at all over features shown off 4 or even 5 years ago now.

People have made the argument that perhaps those things aren’t being planned for implementation now that the game has been released. That’s fair. Then tell us that.

1 Like

I wanted to use arrows on some signs, but if people can toggle them off then I do not see a reason to want to use them.

I wanted to make a clock somewhere with the four sides using glass panes with a big clock emoji on them, if people can turn them off it looks silly.

Ergo I would end up not using them AT ALL

And if there are going to be toggles for things, I rather hope they add some for the weather particle effects instead… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I’m indifferent to the emojis.

For me, it would be jarring to see, but I dont want to inhibit someone else’s fun. It’s like watching lotr and someone editing in a spaceship. Doesnt really fit.

But I know they are trying to improve the communication in the game.

I’d like emojis for citizen (boundless) face emojies instead of those seen on Facebook.

Or titan related emojies

Object related emojis in boundless

Instead of the human emojies, I think it should be boundless emojies.

But that’s just my 2 cents.

Does this mean they will increase the # of characters based on sign size yet?

4 Likes

A very apt description of how emoji’s in boundless make me feel.

9 Likes