Testing 243: Smarter Stacks and Stability!

This update is accessible via the “Testing” release of Boundless on Steam.

Please restart Steam to make sure you get the latest version of Boundless. If the update happens whilst Steam is open it’s unlikely you’ll get the latest version.

Please report all issues discovered to new posts in the #support category.

The following release notes are not final and should not be considered complete or exhaustive.

Overview:

This release focuses on fixing some long standing issues, specifically:

1. Improvements with mixed item stack interactions and Shop Stands / Request Baskets.
  2. Improvements to how the game captures input. Please report if you’re still able to trigger the issue where an action button appears to be stuck down when leaving the GUI.

Important:

This update may invalidate the Shop API keys for Testing. We will provide you with new keys shortly.

Testing 243:

Crafting + Resources + Equipment:

• Plain Metal Doors, Stylish Metal Doors, Plain Trap Doors and Stylish Trap Doors can now be made from any Metal and will take the correct tint.

GUI + HUD:

• Request Basket + Shop Stand inventory improvements:
    • Greyed out slots are now still fully interactable, with the greying out only a visual hint to show what is valid to buy/sell etc. The greying-out logic now applies to the individual slots within a smart-stack, with the smart-stack only being greyed out if every slot within it is greyed-out. Instead of not being able to move the items around, they will just be disallowed from being moved into the Shop Stand inventory, or into the baskets as appropriate matching other GUI screens. This includes if you move an item into your basket, and then the shop-stand owner removes the price for that item making it invalid; the item in your basket will become greyed out and can still be moved out of the basket again or if left will just be ignored by the transaction.
    • Fixed not being able to manipulate your inventory at all in the “Your inventory” tab of the Shop-Stand.
    • You can sell/purchase smart-stacks that are partially greyed out (Eg a smart stack with only 1 item inside that is being requested/has a price set for selling), and only the valid parts of the smart stack will be operated on during the transaction.
    • Only show (0C) price details on items in your inventory that can actually be sold, rather than on every invalid item as well; this recurses into the smart stacks also.
    • Strip out invalid prices from old request baskets and shop stands that are no longer valid, making setting of this data more strict into the future in cases where stack categories of items change. If a shop stand has items in its inventory which no longer match the stack-category of the stand, then they will be shown greyed out, and excluded from having prices set for them, but can still be interacted with to move them back into your inventory.
    • Fix issues not being able to request mixed-palette items (Eg normal totems, and candy totems; or wooden doors and metal doors) correctly; in cases where palettes do not match, the world-default colour will now be used. So if you are requesting metal doors, the other door types will show the world-default colour and allow setting their price and vice-versa (was partially broken), and if you restrict colour tints, the non-metal doors will only allow buying the world-default colours. Note the default color for “metal” props is always copper.
    • Fixed some client crashes in both shopping screens if you try to perform multiple transactions without leaving the GUI screen and interacting with the object again.
    • Fixed issues showing how many items are purchasable by a Request Basket so it takes into account full stacking rules. There may still be confusion when items are tintable; eg the Request Basket may say “purchasing 200 silty soil” but depending on which specific colour of soil you try to sell, it may not have space.
    • Now only show items that can actually be purchased by a Request Basket, rather than still cycling through items that then just showed like “Selling 0 totems for…”.
    • Fixed showing colour-tint numbers in Request Basket, showing the names like everywhere else in the GUI now.
    • Fixed duplicate Sign Modules showing up in a Request Basket item-price list; any request basket already setting prices for the bad duplicates will be automatically stripped.
      • Strip out invalid priced-items from Request Baskets in the cases where item stacking has been changed. Eg: in the past all the Shard items stacked together and could be Requested together, but at some point this was changed so that the Shard items like Rift Shards did not stack with normal Ruby Shards etc. Any Request Basket that already had prices for these now-mixed items will now be stripped so that only the stack-compatible item prices will remain.
    • Fix Request Baskets not working well with mixes of tintable and non-tintable items, and with mixes of Metal-tintable and other item types (Eg metal signs and non-metal signs which show up together in the Request Basket). The server would normally just reject you trying to set a price for the items, and in the example of Metal signs, putting a non-metal sign into the request-basket would show you a strangely coloured metal sign in the price list etc. The system is adjusted so that such cases will always resolve to the world-default colour (or Copper for metal signs/beams etc).
    • Fixed colours now being shown with their names in a Request Basket in relation to the “Specific Item Colour” option. Also fix the string element to be localised properly here (was always showing “color:” before)

Bug fixes:

• Fix custom destinations displaying truncated and leaking through style meta-markers.
  • Fix atlases equipped with a resource showing a 0 count in the GUI.
  • Fixed furnace screwing up item titles when an ingredient is missing.
  • Fixed an issue where still-loading beacon items in guild-beacon lists would randomly show as removed from the world or expired, and would show various icons that were not valid like the Home-Beacon icon. The beacons were unaffected and it was only a GUI presentation issue.
    • Display still-loading beacon items with a Question Mark icon instead of “blank”.
  • Changed World Gatherer Survival World Challenge 2 to now require Juicy Starberrys instead of Glossy Starberrys. This should fix players being unable to complete this challenge.
  • Fixes to internal windows event loop handling and mouse capture which led to various edge-case behaviour leading to tools being stuck swinging until you pressed the mouse button again. This also fixes issues around tools being stuck swinging when opening the steam overlay even when you let go of the mouse button too.
  • Fix “t” bringing up the chat window whilst a text-input field is active in any part of the GUI.
  • Removed the capability to forge AOE Spanners, this is an old vestigial bit of data, and we have since moved towards letting spanner fix everything on the network when used.
38 Likes

Thanks for the fast change on this! :+1:

15 Likes

Thank you for this!!! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Auto trigger fix :slight_smile:
Easier to see if I still get affected somehow when this is live because of it happens more when doing some repeating job for a while.

3 Likes

This shop is a-door-able

Came across a bug @james

Bug

On PC, using controller and keyboard. Got stuck when opening knowledge tab on testing. Pressing “B” on my controller does nothing; neither does Esc.

Edit: Going to “Tips” and then pressing B allows me to leave that menu.

15 Likes

Thanks.

@vdragon - please repro and log.

1 Like

Nice.

VERY nice.

1 Like

2 questions…

does this “smarter stags” fix my problem with that mixed stags in my forge output?

and how long does it takes, to get this update online on a regular server?

just ask, cause ill stoped forging now for about 8 days…

got the idea, to sell all my forging stuff,
but first i like to know those answers…

thx

1 Like

@Marcello666
Hope you ll get an answer very soon because IT would BE very very Bad If you Stop forging !!!
@james
Please let him know what will BE with the smarter stacks by forging or when IT will happen or IT IS planned to BE done .

Boundless would lose one of His best forgers perhaps the best one in Boundless !!!

@all forgers
He wrote some days ago about His Problem with forging and the smarter stacks but got nö answer , Don t you have the Same Problem?

1 Like

I’m just curious, while all these QoL updates are good, is there any word about when shields and the hunter creature will be added?

I was under the impression that both additions were nearly finished several months back, but since then we’ve not heard anything about them.

5 Likes

That the forge previously did not stack outputs fully was the bug; aka its not a bug the behaviour now.

1 Like

Would it be possible to add option in Forge or machines to not stack output?

Looking at the screenshot, it seems that you got into a situation where the text at the bottom of the GUI mean has keyboard inputs, but the on-screen pointer is one that only appears when you are using a controller. The controller inputs should appear at the bottom when you’re using the controller itself.

I’ve not been able to recreate the same situation so far. Did you open the Knowledge GUI with the controller or keyboard? Also, were you alt-tabbing away from the game?

Edit: Additionally, what controller were you using?

When can we get an option for smart stacks to not combine like materials but different colors? I would LOVE to keep colors separated into their own smart stacks so its easier to see how much of x color I have versus needing to open each and every smart stack and see what is where?

2 Likes

Well yeah, honestly I’m surprised that the next update is again not one with new content. I know all these updates are good and needed blabla, but would love an update of the likes of farming (ie. not an update to farming but just as big and with new stuff), lots of new things to do and craft all of a sudden!

Also would love some update on rental planets soon’ish and of course the things you mentioned Vansten…

1 Like

Indeed, I’m still waiting for the information that was promised in this thread late last year.

The lack of communication and information makes it difficult if not impossible to understand what the direction of the game is going.

Hey @james … Any ideas when we can have a proper roadmap released so we can have a bit more understanding what is to come? I’m still waiting on the eventual expansion of the spray painting system that was mentioned last year as well, to help with the colorization problem this game has.

2 Likes

This might be snarky but feels justified. As far as I can tell you need to be one of a handful of people to get PM details on upcoming changes from the devs, otherwise you’re stuck with 0 transparency.

I miss when @james made weekly or even bi-weekly posts about things the team was working on :pleading_face:

1 Like

I tried to replicate the problem again, and was not able to.
What I Originally Did
I opened the Knowledge tab with the controller.
Then I used my mouse and keyboard to search “door”, within the tab.
Then I clicked on one of the doors (with my controller), and tried pressing B, and it didn’t work.
I am using an Xbox One controller.

(Might try to replicate the issue again, when I get on.)

Edit: I was able to replicate the problem, and I was not alt tabbing. I will take this to PMs.