Testing 245: Sovereign Worlds!

Thanks, amazing work on this update guys.

3 Likes

How Do Biomes Work or is that Random or can you get a Biome from the Boundless Trailer lol

Each world type has its own profile: resources available, atmosphere type, color palettes and most likely also prefabs and biomes (judging by how certain terrain types repeat on the same type worlds).

So, if you like a biome you have seen somewhere, make sure you know what type of world it appeared on and go for the same type of sovereign world. You will have a chance to get that biome then.

I think it’s the closest to customizing you can get at this moment - just give yourself a chance of colors or biomes you want by picking right world type (profile).

1 Like

So Getting a Biome from the 1st seconds of the Paris trailer is a no lol

1 Like

I don’t know. Don’t remember that one - can you tell if you saw one of them on any world after full release?

you mean the older trailer from before the release?

1 Like

Since we now know, thanks to Luca, that they use the World Builder for these worlds I’ll share this:

The profile and lighting are tied to the world node. I believe profile only has to do with the resource distribution (full list can be found at the bottom of this post). As you can see, biomes have a spot in the generator which is separate from the profile.

Also for the trailer, @BabyCookie, do you mean this one?

4 Likes

Yesh it’s in a Giant Cave How Awesome that be

1 Like

however - certain biomes don’t appear on tier 1 or 2 but do on tier 5-6; so they seem to group biomes by world tier? and then world builder would pick from only certain number of biomes depending on world profile? so kinda not direct but indirect relationship between world profile and available biomes…

only guessing here

So it may be you can stack a biome profile on the resource profile - I was hoping that might be the case based on the post made about the “Arid” world type? Perhaps being able to pick, say T6 Burn (resource profile) + Arid world type? Would make a huge difference if trying to get resources of certain sorts - seen MASSIVE differences in things like gem totals on exos of the same types. Depends on the terrain, which determines resources. Personally hoping there will be a water profile I can stack on a T6 Toxic (lots of emerald/amethyst). But then, they might judge it to be a little OP’ed if we can do that. I’ll still probably try if not but it would sure load the dice more our way to roll it picking a biome profile.

2 Likes

I know which one now, alright :sunglasses:

1 Like

I can’t tell you how they’ll do it but there is categorization by Tier, yes.

However, strictly speaking, I could make a lush profile world with T7 biomes I think. Again, not sure what they’ll do.

As a spoiler, here’s the names of some T7 ones:

5 Likes

Thanks, that is very interesting! :+1:

Pitfall_field… yeah, I’d place all my coin on what THAT one is, and they sure named it right! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::rofl:

Mount_doom sounds like a good name for a new base. :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Agreed, it would be helpful to be able to do that. Not sure how much of this stuff they’ll let us pick but would love to know.

As you probably saw in my response to boundmore it’s possible to use whatever biomes you want within the world builder itself, regardless of profile. I’m not sure what Ross meant when he said arid but I’m guessing it has to do with temperature, humidity, and vegation (none of which I’ve messed with or know much about) combined with certain biomes and prefabs.

1 Like

See here I thought floating_island_paradise sounded good XD

1 Like

not for evil paka lol

3 Likes

If they confirm we can have input on types of biomes I’d be happy to take the hours required to make a big post with a full list and visualization of the different pre-made biomes, just so people can make an informed decision. However I’m definitely not going to waste the time doing that if all we get to pick is the profile and we don’t get biome control :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Is this what you thought pitfall field would be?

Also here’s mount doom.

4 Likes

@Clexarews - The one on top, those stone barrens filled with potholes like around TNT Kol… though there have been some exos with a sort of exaggerated version (not barren though) that are even worse, now that I think about it, where I’ll be walking along screenshotting and fall to my death from lack of attention. :skull:

:smiling_imp:

Well, Nice Paka IS sort of building a floating island paradise now! :angel: … Or a floating massive eyesore, depending on your tastes, I suppose… :scream_cat:

Anyways, mentioned before, but it is the biomes I’m likely to drop a little money on trying to get a good profile for myself, for my gem world… looking at it as a long-term investment, if I roll a great one first, perfect, will stick with that, but if it looks like I have only 20k total emeralds (or tiny hotspots if I can’t scan) in lava pits, that isn’t really worth keeping for my purposes. It will be a little footwork to scout of course, unless can get the scanner on it right away to pull the totals. If we can’t pick and they put a very low limit on how many we can do, that might back me off trying a gem type, but still may give it a shot.

1 Like

While I’m sharing things, and apologies for going off topic here…

This is the work that goes into 1 palette.

This one is for umbris worlds.

The visualization looks like this (so I get why folks say they’re too red):

But the math to cause the color variation looks like this (apologies for not being able to scroll out far enough to get this all in one shot…

3 Likes

Islands Above a ocean of Lava XD

3 Likes