Testing 246: Creative Worlds!

First-come-first-served would be fair I think (could even have a waitlist perhaps if you have to go 2nd pick and 1st is currently full, if you’re really set on trying to move to 1st pick if possible)? Could set caps for the planets, increasing gradually if demand warrants and the bulk start filling up.

People I think are enough spread out that I’m guessing most would be able to be given 1st pick of where they want to be without overloading any one world. MOST - might be a few really high-demand planets, but being able to give most want they want IMO better than random luck here.

Edit: Could also maybe weight preference in light of if you already have other rentals there. So like, if I had one around Raxxa, I maybe couldn’t do a 2nd there unless pretty empty. Of course, this would be work for the devs, but weighing it against people I think really wanting their rentals to be where they want if possible, could be worth the effort.

1 Like

Nice colors!

1 Like

To be clear, I am not fond of the idea of random placement. If there were not some issues that seem of concern to the developers, I would be right in there pushing for players selecting the orbiting planet. However, I do not think the developers are being arbitrary in making this decision. I am not sure when the developers changed their mind on allowing creative to be done differently. I had just assumed I would be warping to creative planets and never using a bridge due to the random placement.

So while we want these planets to draw back in more players we want to treat players differently that spend the same money now versus spending the same money later on? Sure it seems fair to those of us already playing, but will it seem as fair to players that start after the initial rush? If I am the 21st person to ask for a planet orbiting Biitula and they are allowing 20 am I really going to feel like I was treated the same? Somehow I just see this creating issues requiring developer involvement and taking an automated process and making it manual. All that does is take time away from development. If they get requests for 100 planets in the first month. .how much time do we think it will take to work out placing all those planets? I actually think this is possible given the expressed interest and the number of players that seem willing to rent more than one planet.

Even if they do make a change, I do think any sovereign planet should have to orbit a planet with a matching tier. No tier 5 Sovereign planets in orbit around a tier 1 public planet. After that maybe the developers need to find out exactly where players do want their planets before making any final decisions. Would we really clump up on a few planets? Of course if they change this now, it could also delay the rollout of the sovereign/creative planets release.

3 Likes

All good points - it is a tough one as there are unknowns here: how spread out would we really be if allowed to pick? How many people might not rent or not renew if they can’t be somewhere they like?

Could it be automated with working in a preference ranking? But then, like you said, more work… probably too late at this point, and then wouldn’t be fair to the first buyers if preferences got allowed to be weighted for later buyers. Not really easy answers here. But, on the fairness part, if it really did go by buying time, personally I would consider that very fair though yeah, others probably would complain. For myself, I see it the same as players who started playing earlier plotting some more desirable locations (though of course, the plotting up does get complaints too in reviews, to counter my own argument here!).

1 Like

And this is a good point. . How do you make it the same process for players that play now and later and all pay the same amount and still get players to participate when the planet location is arbitrary?

1 Like

I think, even judging by the small number of participants in this poll, there seems to be a fairly even spread around the universe. I would definitely be interested to see what the broader population would choose though.

4 Likes

Most likely nothing, I would assume that most don’t get a planet.

Well, it all hinges on the price model Wonderstruck goes with.

3 Likes

I second this. Ill get 2 if they arent 30 bucks a pop. But knowing how much servers cost even at AWS(Amazon) i am going to bet they are between 10 and 25 bucks and probobly closer to the 25 buck mark. I hope I am wrong, we will see.

As to what planet I orbit I am less concerned with this as long as the tier planet is in the same area in the universe as its tier.

10 to 25$ per month, you think?

I hope they aren’t 20-25/mo. I def won’t be getting one if that’s the case :unamused:

3 Likes

But what if one server can host several worlds, though? Isn’t one server holding the worlds of each region?

1 Like

I thought each world was its own server. And those servers are just in a specific region

1 Like

Last I heard was both current universe and sovereigns were designed to have multiple planets per server.

5 Likes

I know they said there’s times they rent a server for a few days just for an exo. That came straight from a dev. And I’m too lazy to look it up. But it’s on the forums some where

From what I know about Minecraft server rentals, a 60 person server should run around $20/month.

Who knows how well that equates to Boundless or how profit vs subsidization (the world provides value to other players) is being handled.

One physical server can hold multiple virtual servers so they probably meant virtual server…

1 Like

People still rent physical machines? How quaint.

Hopefully they just spin up a container or EC2 instance at the size they need, as needed.

1 Like

Yes some do because EC2 is not always powerful enough nor is it cost effective for every project.

1 Like

You’re no fun. :wink:

1 Like