Testing 246: Creative Worlds!

Not everyone goes for a 24 coil setup so the need varies from person to person. These portals have a fixed 2x8 dimensions to work unlike coils.

Yes they do have stuff slated to be done. James also has wild out there ideas or something he is thinking of adding that he sometimes brings up and asks my view. But, I have to admit that as we all know things are fluid in nature. I’m sure they didn’t expect Sovereigns to take so long because as they built out the final layer new “use cases” kept coming up that they had to solve. So it pushes the release and (from my view) I can see why they keep stuff close to their vest because people are frustrated about Private planets being delayed… So how would be react if the next 2-3 things on the list weren’t coming and they knew about it. Plus I’ve seen emergency things come up that delay that other list.

But honestly, I don’t want to kick off another disagreement in views on whether the roadmap should be published or not… Each person has their views I know. So probably best to drop it.

2 Likes

This is an interesting thing I see with every game I play. The way I see it, a developer has two options. They can have a roadmap and a playerbase frustrated that features they want get delayed/changed, or the can have no roadmap and have a playerbase frustrated that they don’t know when/if anything is coming.

I’m not sure there is a correct answer to this question. Both paths end up with angry forum users, so maybe forum users are the problem, not the communication method choice.

6 Likes

I’m personally not upset about Sovereigns being delayed since I know they want to get it right. I think what a lot of people fail to realize is that compared to AAA titles, Boundless actually has a pretty small team working on it. Feels like people expect a few dozen people to do the work of a team of several hundred.

Just to add this in:
I think not telling the entire player base of their plans might be for the best right now. Better to not over-hype content and then not be able to deliver on it due to technical or time constraints. People can be surprised when it’s out instead.

4 Likes

Forum users are going to be angry at something all the time. All you can do is attempt to mitigate it, never eliminate it.

6 Likes

Not sure if it is related to anything, but Havran I is down on the test servers. I get a server offline message. I tried to warp to one of the other planets including my creative planet from Sanctum but I cannot open a warp. It may be because I was on Havran when it went down. I did have the game crash twice this morning and submitted the logs.

@Leahlemoncakes @james

World Control covered in snow.

7 Likes

I was on my creative planet.
I created a bridge to my orbiting parent planet (Biitula on testing).
I went through the bridge back to my creative planet.
I wanted to go somewhere else so I went to the sanctum.
Decided to go back to my creative planet from the sanctum.
All bridges are now non-accessible and say “you must exit creative mode via warp”.

So the bridge must be re-done? … like a one time use thing if you don’t stay on Creative planets? I think this is why some of us are perceiving our characters as being “stuck” and unable to go anywhere.

I think its because you went via sanctum. If you go to the world via a bridge then they work fine, but if you go via the sanctum then it has no way to know where to return you to so you have to leave via warp or sanctum, not bridge.

Yes, it’s because I went to the sanctum.

I don’t think that’s very intuitive for players. People are gonna want to move around & go back and forth between creative/survival planets. I wanted to go to my base on Dand, not to the planet my creative planet is orbiting (that wouldn’t work either). Therefore, I had to go to the sanctum.

I think forcing players to go back to where they came from was a mistake. It would be more intuitive if there was one fixed creative portal that could have been placed on any survival planet, for an easy connection. That way they’re all the same size & easily recognizable too.

It also allows new way to open free unlimited warps to exos once one mule toon is there :smiley:

Open a warp to an Exo? Portals aren’t allowed on Exos in any way.

Warps are free to creative planets.
Player survival location is used to count warp cost in creative side. So from Creative to back to same planet 100c and 0c to location where character left.

Players can meet in creative and open free warps for others this way. And it don’t even use any warp conduits :smiley:

So some new mechanic to work together between players :slight_smile:

You have to use the gold bridge conduits.

I mean player don’t consume warp conduits on creative. And you can warp on world like normal game, it is anyway much more nicer way do warp than go via sanctum player has warp conduits in inventory :smiley:

Being able to warp/portal around is def a great thing.

It just seems like a lot of players get to a point where they seem “stuck” and unable to warp anywhere, once they’ve gone to a Creative planet. Maybe it will just take time for everyone to get used to the bridge system.

Has this been a problem, other than the accounts that got stuck when they did the update? This was expressed as one time issue that occurred with characters that timed out on creative worlds between iterations.

This was before they changed the functionality regarding bridges and warps so that should not be a problem for people that weren’t in that exact situation on test.

It happened today, again.

It’s just the way that we’re trying to get off the Creative planet or go elsewhere I guess. I don’t think it’s a server problem or anything like that. If you go to Creative from the sanctum, your portals in Creative don’t work. Then while in the sanctum, sometimes you can’t get to another non-Creative planet.

Interesting, I never had that happen… maybe its something we need to try to replicate what causes it while our worlds are active again.

I was able to do it over and over today. Took a video of it, but I didn’t think much of it because I think it’s working like it was suppose to.