Testing 246: Creative Worlds!

If you have 4 hours to play, then maybe and this is a big maybe a 20 minute cool down is fine. But if you have an hour to play then all you are doing is wasting a casual players time. They now have to go home which could be halfway across the universe, get to a portal hub and then possibly go right back where they started.

2 Likes

Someone in this thread a few days ago (or another thread) mentioned your exit point of creative worlds would always be where you entered. So we could travel to an unlimited amount of creative worlds, regardless of where they are but never abuse it by using it for free portals between the permanent worlds. I thought that was a good idea, not sure how complicated it would be to implement though.

Edit: found it

4 Likes

As long as there are no oort free hubs Im ok with whatever solutions comes up.

1 Like

And I would agree, you create too many issues with a free Oort hub that spans the public universe. However I have no issue and would like a hub that connects all the creative worlds. Then the players that want a pure survival experience can have it and those that want a pure creative can have it.

I think this is a good idea. You could also allow renters of Creative planets to choose which world they want to orbit, and limit them to 1 portal to that world. That way, if they want to orbit a T7 planet with their T6 world, they could.

2 Likes

I had kind of assumed (perhaps wrongly) that there was some negative ramifications to having all/most of the rented planets orbiting a select few public ones, based on the decision not to let you pick which planet your rented one orbits.

I was gonna say basically this same thing. Make it so you can only get back to the survival world’s from the creative world you entered. So if I enter a creative world, I can use whatever portals I want within other creative world’s to other creative world’s. But I can not get back to survival from other creative world’s. ONLY from the creative world I entered from.

1 Like

If you either had to go home, or return to the survival universe via the portal you entered the creative universe from or had to pay to warp someplace from sanctum, I would be ok with this

1 Like

Until I understand more of the technicals behind the current design I would lean toward a simple approach kind of what Kal-El is talking about but adjusted some:

1. Creative “unlimited” fuel portals can only connect over 1 blinksec (so to their orbited planet) when they are doing the opening.
  2. Creative planets cannot have portals that they are the “opening side” for anything beyond 1 blinksec. The only way to connect to a Creative from longer than that MUST happen on Survival and be fueled from the Survival side.

hope that makes sense. I don’t agree with other limits around the number of portals on a planet, or timers, or other stuff.

6 Likes

I do see a potential issue with this though. If there is no limit to the number of portals a creative world can make, then you could end up with a giant sized portal (as fuelling is free and infinite) on every single permanent world. I’d imagine people would want to do this to entice others to their creative world to view the fantastic thing they have built…

Multiply that by the number of creative worlds and we could end up with permanent worlds looking like giant advertising billboards.

Hmmm, perhaps combined with a universe reset?

ducks

3 Likes

I have a question. So I would be limited to creating a portal between creative planets to one blink second. That means if I have a creative planet that orbits a tier one and one around a tier two I probably cannot link them directly. If this is true then I would not be for this idea unless players can place creative planets in a way that they are one blink second from each other.

I think it essentially creates limits to linking creative planets. But I might be misunderstanding your idea.

Actually, even if they orbit the same planet they are 2 blinksecs away from each other, at least on testing.

If there are no travel limitations, then unlimited portals from creative even if only to the orbited survival world still allows you to have a “local planet hub” in creative with infinite portals to every single location in that survival world all 10x10 portals etc.

4 Likes

Make it so that any exiting portal takes you back to the entrance portal you took to get to Creative but unlimited portals between creative planets.

Example: Mary is on Beckon. She goes to CreativeA then CreativeB via portals. She then tries to leave CreativeB through a portal to Alder, but it takes her back to Beckon instead.

Should make it so items from creative plaenets show up with an * at the end or something. Could just make it a set amount too.

Would this be worse than the alternative of having creative world’s entirely disconnected from the universe? There’s a lot of space in the world’s. If someone decided to make 1 giant portal per planet for their creative world that’s still only 1 portal per planet. I dont think it would be too much of an issue unless there was a huge huge population increase.

And If that’s an issue maybe make it so you can only have 1 portal from your creative world to a survival world.

example: if I set up a portal from a creative to Lamblis. That’s my 1 portal from creative to survival. If I enter the creative world from that portal I’d have to use that same portal to exit creative, but it’s okay to use portals between creatives from there. This keeps people from littering the world’s with free portals to their world’s. Allows creative and survival to be in the same universe and allows portals between creatives.

The best solution I can personally think of here is a mixture of a couple ideas people have already stated. It’s also not technically a solution to the problem with using portals as it is basically saying don’t use portals between Survival and Creative.

I think any solution that allows for a portal between a Survival world and a Creative world is going to allow for cheaper travel or a poorer user experience.

• If you limit Creative’s to the T1/T2 planets, you can still get up to 25 blinksecs away for free. This can cover a massive amount of the universe, especially if travel between Creative worlds is unlimited i.e. pop in on an AUS planet, go to an USW planet and then pop out as far away as 25 blinksecs from there, which is going to be further than 25 blinksecs from the original AUS planet
  • If you limit the player to only being able to use a portal from Creative to Survival from the same planet they entered survival, what happens when they try and use a portal from the “wrong” planet? They get a bunch of error messages and it saying no? That wouldn’t look very nice to the player and could be very confusing for people who don’t know what is happening. If it always returned them to the same one they entered from, how confusing would that be if they followed a different player through the exit portal but they both entered creative from a different entrance portal?

My idea: Warp Platform
This would be similar to a Portal/Warp except that:

• It has to be manually activated to be able to go through it (with or without a world preview)
  • It saves your location when you activate it
  • It makes a clear distinction that you are leaving Survival and entering Creative
  • Any Warp Platform you try to use in Creative always plops you at the one you used to enter Creative
  • Being a manual interaction, you can use confirm dialogs to make sure the player knows what is happening (be it only on the first time or every time)

This way, I feel, has the least amount of confusion for players.
It would also allow you to keep portals between Creative worlds infinite distance and free.

2 Likes

I feel that linking creative and survival is very important to the success of the game because of the content options it provides. It is more important we find a way to solve this versus just breaking “survival” and “creative” into modes that cannot communicate.

Fair. I really wasn’t trying to solve that issue and more focused on something else. But, if that was to be added then I probably would be more restrictive in the solution since we can’t solve all these things likely very easy. As mentioned I don’t have all the technicals of the code and layers (permissions, etc.) but I’d lean toward something I don’t think many would like.

1. The key issue here is to allow the “owner of the planet” the ability to travel to the “survival planet” free of charge so they can use the Public Universe. It is NOT critical for all other players. That means that free portal should be 1 portal attached to their account where the fueled side of the portal is on the Creative side with the 1 blinksec limit. (you don’t need more than 1 to limit abuse)

2. In the case the person paid for another server (maybe on another tier) then I would lean toward allowing them 1 portal to the other planet they paid for - free. (you don’t need more than 1 to limit abuse)

3. Any portals for the creative to itself on the same planet would be free.

4. Any other portal to creatives or for those players that happen to have “perms” on those creative planets would need to source their portals from the “Survival side.”

I understand this might require more code around permissions, but at this point (until I talk more with James directly tomorrow) I would lean toward this. It isn’t perfect for everyone but it gives the main goal here (paid user having access to public) and stops the “hub concerns” because it forces portals to be fueled from a non-abusive side. Maybe I missed something and it isn’t ideal but at least people can still do things…

Designing this as I think about it… but see point 2. I figure people only need 1 portal to hop. Then on that planet they could do portals to other areas they need on the same planet.

Nobody wasn’t yet answering but testing with camp fire and it did die. So I guess unlimited beacon lifetime on creative isn’t yet implemented.

I like this idea. For many us skillpage cooldown is already much to wait :smiley: With this kind of debuff it would probably easy to track down what universe location player was entering to creative so that warping cost would be calculated properly.

1 Like