Testing 246: Creative Worlds!

We would get a center of the universe planet that would turn into finata 2.0 if we could pick where the sovereign goes. At least I’d imagine we would.

They probably want to avoid that.

2 Likes

I think after the planet load issues we had when the game was launched, there is probably a desire to keep the players spread out in the universe as much as possible. With the much larger number of players asking for a test sovereign versus a test creative, the developers may feel that the creative planets are not going to exist in the same numbers as the Sovereign planets. They also do not generate resources for the public universe so that will likely reduce traffic to them anyway. With warping to them being free and the portals to link them also being free it is less necessary for players to want all of the creative planets close together. Sure I might want my creative planet over my base, but the fact that another player has his several blincsecs away does not affect my cost to link up to it. Since the Oort is free, once I create a creative to creative portal it exists as long as the planets do. And with warping being free, I do not even need the portal to get there.

For survival since the portals do have an ongoing oort cost, players wanting to link to other players Sovereign planets will have to be willing to pay the on going cost, which depending on distance could be substantial. This likely will keep a lot of those players using the existing network to get between sovereign planets. If you do not make the planet placement random and orbiting a planet of a similar tier, then you get players putting every type of planet in orbit around a single planet. They are only one blicksec away from each other so you get a cheap network to run versus the existing ones. Essentially you get a paid universe (or several) competing with the public universe. I would think this is something that the developers would want to avoid.

1 Like

I think this might be bad logic to follow. I know in my case at least that there was no need to request a test creative planet after doing a test sovereign. The only thing a creative test would let me do is take the sanctum to a world finally, and I’d already experienced what you’re own world’ would be like so that desire was no longer there as well.

I plan to rent a creative world none the less because creative is creative and you know what you’re going to get more or less. That wasn’t the case with sovereigns and I think why a larger amount of us wanted to test those specifically.

I could be wrong and I might be unique in the desire to have both planet types. It didn’t seem like that was the case though based on various posts 1-2 months ago.

1 Like

And this could very well be true. I know in my guild (at least what they will say publicly) there are more players that want Sovereign than creative, but we are a smaller group and may not be representative of the entire player base. It will be interesting to see what happens once the planets are launched.

But I still think that creative planets have less of an impact on the public universe due to how they work and how you access them than sovereign planets will.

1 Like

Yeah, it will. I’d kind of imagined that more people would want creative, because Sovereign could be seen as paying for separate access to the same thing, whereas Creative would be paying for access to something different.

Although in fairness, that logic applies more to new users who want something other than the survival offering than existing ones who are happy with the way the game currently works and just want their own space.

I wonder if we’ll be able to get some overall stats easily about how many sovereign and creative worlds there are out there. I could see the explorers amongst us wanting to visit every one.

2 Likes

If money allows I plan on getting 1 of both with a possibility of 2 sovereign.

I know some players that want a sovereign to have a safe place to build where they do not have to worry about other players. They can expand as they get the plots without ever having anyone in their way. I know some others that want a metal or gem planet to have the ability to mine without running into all the blocked off areas. Some want to win the color lottery and add new colors into the public universe. So while agree, it is more of the same, there are definitely some reasons why players want them.

I would think the developers could tell us how many there are without revealing ownership. If players restrict access then that might be the only way for us to know a planet even exists. I do think with the ability to restrict access to any rented planet to just visit and not to even be able to mine, that fewer players will cut their planets off entirely. But players may have reasons why they want to such as having a safe planet for their kids. It is possible that the same way that there are some methods for players to know exos exist without seeing them, they might be able to see the rentals the same way.

I know mine will be private for a while. They won’t be opened till I’ve scouted the whole planet and built the things I want to.

2 Likes

Oh, definitely. I didn’t think there was no reason to get Sovereigns (having my own space connected to the live universe was actually something that helped me decide to back the game in the first place, a long time ago). I just feel that there’s more reasons to get creative, especially if it might herald the return of previous players who ended up leaving the game because they didn’t like the grind etc.

3 Likes

This is my hope as well. :heart:

Speaking only for myself, I see it as a way to take an occasional break from the grind. I can work on my stuff in the public universe and if I just need to build for a week I can. My issue right now (which is not on topic) is trying to decide what I want to build on a creative planet. . what theme do I want to follow?

I get both sides of the issue, personally. I don’t think the impact would be so huge that it warrants the limitations. Sovereign worlds are just rental worlds after all. They will come and go.

My idea of trying to (slightly) augment prices if you wanna be in orbit of a world that already has more sovereign/creative worlds around was taken as “pay to win”, which I still think is ridiculous, as it is mostly supposed to be both a deterrent to do a Finata 2.0, and an incentive to get your sovereign world somewhere else.

I didn’t ask since it was via a PM and not on a call. If James made the decision there was a reason in his mind to differentiate between the two modes since I had clearly pushed hard for all modes to allow selection.

If I had to guess – I’d lean toward what @Goblinounours said - in that creative has no impact on the game versus Sovereign impact and abuse situations. I also thought we could warp to a creative for free from anywhere (but I might be VERY wrong since I didn’t check) and if possible then “location” wouldn’t matter.

Personally, I don’t like the mixed options myself. I do agree, though, in the random deployment to protect game balance.

From what I read above, you can warp from anywhere in survival to creative, but you then have to warp out because the creative bridges don’t work for you then. If you wanna get in a creative world and have the ability to leave via a creative bridge, you gotta get it through one.

I would think the game could remember where you warped from and make the creative bridge go there but… it looks like it can’t. :man_shrugging:

They likely never thought of a reason they would NEED to remember where you warped from when first programming warping, so to add it now would be to rebuild an existing feature and possibly introduce new bugs and issues where it’s not really needed?
Just speculating.

That’s possible.
I would think that you’d just have to add a variable when warping that saves your location and use that the same way your position is used when you cross a creative bridge now.

I think it does remember where you warped from. From what I remember one option was to warp back to where you came from. If It was not down I could go in a get some screen shots to be sure. It at least remembers the planet you warped into creative from since if you warp out to a different planet, it is not free and the cost is based on the cost to warp between your origin planet and the one you want to go to in Survival.

edit: I could get to the screen

I warped into creative from a survival planet and did not use a bridge.

I imagine the problem is someone may have warped from an area that can’t open a 2x8 warp. They wouldn’t be able to return where they came from in that case

I am pretty sure the warp is not 2x8 only the bridge is 2x8. I was warping from sanctum and that is a 2x3

1 Like

Yes I thought we were talking about why we can’t use a bridge if we warp to creative

1 Like