Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes - continued

You only have to sign in the first time.

Once you have signed into your Mojang account, as long as you don’t log out again, you can access the game even when offline.

1 Like

Another problem with that “claiming all the vertical plots” is that it would stop regeneration. Imagine someone building at the planet core and all the plots above are claimed. That means no meteors would drop there (on t3 worlds and above), all the rock, soil, gravel, wood, and foliage would be claimed as well. That means no one could harvest it unless you gave them permission.
And that’s pretty much gatekeeping resources.

1 Like

Here’s a question that I’m sure is on a lot a people’s minds. With the level progression and skill cap, your level will go down. That’s a given.
But what happens to the plots that you’ve already unlocked? Would the number be adjusted according to the new level progression?
And then what happens to those people who bought cubits to get plots?

Start farming plots and use them, so you they can’t be erased.
Nobody would delete your builds, isn’t it? :smiley:

Regards,

The idea is that when you plot it would still only reserve the plots vertically, then when you claim the plots above or below it would essentially be ‘exercising your option to claim’ and wouldn’t cost any plots.

But again- I am aware this can’t happen now because there is no possible fair way to balance everyone’s plot totals retroactively. I shouldn’t even have posted it.

This is a large part of why I’m sure the rate of cubits earned will not be changing. For one, they can’t take plots away that people have already earned or bought. That would cause an uproar and many would rightfully quit. However that would create a terrible balance for anyone who starts playing after the update and is… Bound… to the new system and could never catch up without purchasing cubits. The devs have proven time after time that they aren’t after some cheap micro transactions.

2 Likes

This is all we need to know about the current update, regarding cubits. It’s a preview.

From what I know about how games are developed, much like spreadsheets or anything built by ‘if…then…’ functions, when you have to implement a new system you start by trying to amend your current formulas to simply include the new functionality.

• The new system in this case revolves around allowing us to keep leveling up so we can unlock almost all of the skills on one page.
  • It is brilliantly designed such that once we reach level 50, these skill points that will make us OP take much longer to earn, at an exponential rate.
  • Cubits are an afterthought next to perfecting the skill point system.

So they released this first iteration of the new leveling system, with no regard for changes in cubits earned. Their hope in developing this would be that they can figure a way to give us the same amount of cubits we’re used to without having to add a 2nd system. So they took a crack at scaling the cubit reward but the math doesn’t really work yet and there has been negative feedback on that concept.

I’m guessing they are currently working on a standalone cubit reward system that will give us a cubit coffer every 200k xp. This requires:

• A new metric that works more like periodic coffers, giving a cubit coffer every 200k despite your character not having leveled up.
  • A new type of coffer for only cubits without skill points.
  • A new scale in the menu to show progress towards the next 200k.
  • Removing cubit rewards from level coffers.

This takes time. It may not have been wholly unexpected but I can imagine it was of lower priority initially and has taken more effort so far than anticipated.

To recycle an earlier analogy I made, this is like a new build in progress with silk yellow framing and scaffolding. The devs are showing us the cleaned up, silk yellow-free facade for feedback on that alone, while we are poking around the inside critiquing all the silk yellow rock and exposed lighting which will ultimately be replaced or hidden by the actual interior walls.

4 Likes

So, finish it and take all the flaws, stuff them in the cracks, and then cover it up with fresh spackle?

Framework isn’t a flaw. Structural steel on a skyscraper in real life isn’t a flaw. Temporary scaffolding isn’t a flaw. As of yet, that’s all this cubit system is.

It’s an addition to an existing building. They knocked down a couple walls and we are currently watching them erect structural steel. It’s too early to declare this building uninhabitable because it doesn’t have a roof yet…

2 Likes

But it’s not a given. Yes, it could be if the XP curve wasn’t still being looked at, though as both @james has clarified (below) and @DutchOfSorissi is very well pointing out above…

We just have to be patient and see what the next testing release will bring and test what there is to test, currently. To be honest this is probably why developers sometimes don’t like to release things too early in the process to the public, because assumptions start being made.

I do find that the small cubits reward change they made with 249.1, before @james made the quoted statement, was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction. Personally I think they should have done nothing until they had a proper look at the XP curve/formulae and simply given the statement that they’re working on it; they were well aware of the feedback about the testing curve at this point.

I didn’t have any expectations initially about the XP/cubits in this first testing release because there had been no specific statement regarding those changes yet, and I don’t believe they would make a stealth change to these things.

And it is a bit silly that a lot of the discussion has now circled around this instead of the new local universe/combat equipment and mechanics.

5 Likes

100% this.

the local universe and mechanics changes are probably some of the biggest changes coming to Boundless and may finally give it the chance to take off and people are quibbling over exp and cubits - both of which could potentially be irrelevant if the local scene takes off.

Just so silly to be stuck on one thing; it reminds me of the freaking out over the stone exp and instant crafted stone change way back… it’s just missing the forest for the trees.

3 Likes

@Wonderstruck Is there any way to have generator run in a window without boundless.exe running?

1 Like

I think this is on their “to do” list…

1 Like

With the New Update on skill points is this gonna give the option to build on a higher tier planet now is Baby Cookie gonna have Nieghbors Finally \ (^-^) / :heart:

4 Likes

@james how can we teleport another player’? who join local server or other friend to join

We want them to be able to destroy blocks as standard, however I will look into adding something to give you some options in the behaviour there :slight_smile:

5 Likes

There is no way to teleport in game unless you use a Warp.

There is a DUI console command of: teleport --player CHARACTER_NAME

How do I get to test the Sword and Shields? I’m on testing and can’t find them in the f9 menu. And can’t give them to myself via the Knowledge tab

You need to craft them youself

3 Likes

:woozy_face: thanks!

3 Likes

It’s a bit of a pain, I know (at least until they’re added to the F9 menu). I just did one of each. Most of them are crafted on the Workbench with the exception of the wood and stone ones which are made on a crafting table.

2 Likes