Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes - continued

So, finish it and take all the flaws, stuff them in the cracks, and then cover it up with fresh spackle?

Framework isn’t a flaw. Structural steel on a skyscraper in real life isn’t a flaw. Temporary scaffolding isn’t a flaw. As of yet, that’s all this cubit system is.

It’s an addition to an existing building. They knocked down a couple walls and we are currently watching them erect structural steel. It’s too early to declare this building uninhabitable because it doesn’t have a roof yet…

2 Likes

But it’s not a given. Yes, it could be if the XP curve wasn’t still being looked at, though as both @james has clarified (below) and @DutchOfSorissi is very well pointing out above…

We just have to be patient and see what the next testing release will bring and test what there is to test, currently. To be honest this is probably why developers sometimes don’t like to release things too early in the process to the public, because assumptions start being made.

I do find that the small cubits reward change they made with 249.1, before @james made the quoted statement, was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction. Personally I think they should have done nothing until they had a proper look at the XP curve/formulae and simply given the statement that they’re working on it; they were well aware of the feedback about the testing curve at this point.

I didn’t have any expectations initially about the XP/cubits in this first testing release because there had been no specific statement regarding those changes yet, and I don’t believe they would make a stealth change to these things.

And it is a bit silly that a lot of the discussion has now circled around this instead of the new local universe/combat equipment and mechanics.

5 Likes

100% this.

the local universe and mechanics changes are probably some of the biggest changes coming to Boundless and may finally give it the chance to take off and people are quibbling over exp and cubits - both of which could potentially be irrelevant if the local scene takes off.

Just so silly to be stuck on one thing; it reminds me of the freaking out over the stone exp and instant crafted stone change way back… it’s just missing the forest for the trees.

3 Likes

@Wonderstruck Is there any way to have generator run in a window without boundless.exe running?

1 Like

I think this is on their “to do” list…

1 Like

With the New Update on skill points is this gonna give the option to build on a higher tier planet now is Baby Cookie gonna have Nieghbors Finally \ (^-^) / :heart:

4 Likes

@james how can we teleport another player’? who join local server or other friend to join

We want them to be able to destroy blocks as standard, however I will look into adding something to give you some options in the behaviour there :slight_smile:

5 Likes

There is no way to teleport in game unless you use a Warp.

There is a DUI console command of: teleport --player CHARACTER_NAME

How do I get to test the Sword and Shields? I’m on testing and can’t find them in the f9 menu. And can’t give them to myself via the Knowledge tab

You need to craft them youself

3 Likes

:woozy_face: thanks!

3 Likes

It’s a bit of a pain, I know (at least until they’re added to the F9 menu). I just did one of each. Most of them are crafted on the Workbench with the exception of the wood and stone ones which are made on a crafting table.

2 Likes

They were flagged as DEV can give only. Have updated it so they should be there for everyone next update to testing :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Ohhhh thanks! I created a local server and started from scratch. By the time I made an iron axe I was like… yea I’ll watch vids on the other ones…

2 Likes

Is it necessary for them to break blocks at all? I actually thought it was really cool that they worked like tillers at first.

One benefit is that when you’re out of swing range, which took some getting used to, you aren’t digging up dirt. Just hacking tall grass :joy:

1 Like

My 2 cents on the melee weapons and shields so far: They seem too clunky and would feel a lot better to use if they were more fluid. The delay in action from, say, swinging the weapon to raising your shield, or raising your shield for second, dropping it then raising it again feel really slow. Slow enough for you to get hit by something and not be able to react in time (due to mechanics and not reaction speed).

Also the reach seems a little low, I understand they’re melee, but going from using hammers that hit 10 blocks in front of you, to not being able to hit a Cuttletrunk a few blocks above your head seems a little frustrating. If I need to get right up against a Hopper or Wildstock to hit it, I can die (or get hit at least) in one of the animation gaps between dropping my shield to swing then raising it again.

The weapons need to compete with fully automatic Slingbows (which feel nice to use) in my opinion :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Totally agree. Shield raising/lowering speed should increase with dexterity.

3 Likes

Oh snap…

I spy portal costs and distances it seems :smiley:

0 cost local portals here we go… lets see what breaks

1 Like