Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes - continued

Perhaps this is the first installment for the swords and shields? Possibly new animations and strikes will come in a later update.

Spin attack and charge attack ect…

I am still hoping augments will eventually make there way into swords also.

4 Likes

Gems, metals, shards, bonding agents, leather… spark/fuel for your machines…

10 Likes

It is really useful! Thank you!

1 Like

If you’re looking to be ready to try out everything new for gear, you should also note these changes, though you probably already have the gums handy if you forge:

• Bomb & Melee quirk: Block Protection (Damage bombs are becoming combat viable)
  • Melee boon: Cleaver (additional targets hit per swing) - Venerable
  • Melee boon: Slugger (additional attack radius) - Longevity
  • Shield boon: Fortress (additional protection radius) - Venerable
  • Shield boon: Damage Reflect - Effect

Source: https://boundlessinfo.com/forging/forge-traits

3 Likes

I’d expect this because we all know the whole combat system, mobs, and loot tables need a revamp. And there are plans to do a pass on creature combat at some point. Why would they provide a final never change option for these weapons but not revamp other things. Plus considering how the Local Universe kind of took off, I don’t doubt that they had to balance their focus. Also, there are weapons like the Lance which might still be on the radar somewhere to work on its interaction / actions and release…

7 Likes

I read back in the old announcement posts that there used to be a bow and arrow but was replaced with the current sling after apparently replacing it. Was the bow and arrow better?

Couldn’t find any images of it either.

I ask you because I’m guessing you played then?

1 Like

Unfortunately, it was before my time. @Havok40k would be the best one to ask since he was like the 11th person in the game.

Personally I like the sling… tired of always “bow/arrow”

1 Like

This is unacceptable! You can’t provide a release of such amazing looking swords/shields without a display block!! -_- I want to hang them around my build so bad!

8 Likes

They can hurt other players in PvP areas and will also hurt the local wildlife.

1 Like

While I don’t think PvP fits Boundless well, I think designated PvP settlements like Landmark had would be the way to do it. Maybe allow PvP flag on sovs as well.

Early inclusion of PvP explains why other players block shots, though.

The cool thing wasn’t the weapon itself, but the variety of ammo that they were testing. In particular, they had a rubber bullet shot that would bounce around and could be banked around corners and off ceilings to hit targets out of direct line of sight.

We also had a designated pvp zone that worked like an old-school beacon. A “light wall” extended from bedrock to sky that if you crossed into it you were active for pvp. If you died inside, you respawned outside the nearest border. It was set up like a quake arena with specified entrance points at either end and decent cover with catwalk bridges over a pit of ember blocks that burned you on contact. I think I remember scattered “healing” blocks too that healed you on contact. Of all the pre-alpha blocks in game, I miss the heal/harm blocks the most :frowning:

9 Likes

Yeah, this is my bet too. I bet they’ll be tweaking the boons on them for a couple more updates too.

3 Likes

They could bring that back and just make it like the snowballs, then respawn the player outside of the arena with out a penalty.

The Sad thing is stuff like this doesnt get added or gets removed not because of the stuff you do that is intended. its the 1 player that uses it to abuse another player in some way no one planned that just gets the mechanics blacklisted for all time.

3 Likes

giphy (3)

17 Likes

16 Likes

tenor (1)

17 Likes

12 Likes

SBy1PFZ

12 Likes

11 Likes

giphy (2)

12 Likes