Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes - continued

I don’t understand this justification. As it is right now, XP gain isn’t equal (or even close) for all activities. The major source of exp is mining gleam and crafting (and maybe hunting), and typically main characters do both to get exp, alts only get scraps compared to those main methods. As it is right now, if this balance stays like this, I won’t get exp any faster, because the activities that’s not actively grinding for exp won’t add much, and I’ll just farm cubits twice as slow.
Not to mention that like others said, there’s still reason to use alts (more efficient plots, inventory organization, guild buff), and this hurts anyone that plans to keep using alts.
2x difference is still too big, it’s much better than the previous ~4x but it’s still not good in my opinion.
In my opinion, it’s better to make it roughly equal to how it is atm and I’ll welcome a rebalance (or even nerf) later when all exp sources get an overhaul (or when level gets detached from cubits).

Can I ask why quirk? Quirks are frustrating to get, and in a lot of cases this effect is desirable, why is it not a boon?

That aside, I appreciate the other balance changes.

4 Likes

As a quirk you can keep whatever other boons you usually have.

2 Likes

You should be able to sign in now.

3 Likes

Quirk means you can still max out damage and range and knockback or whatever and still get the block protection. It adds it as an (expensive) option without reducing damage.

IMO, we need quirk gums.

6 Likes

I would love some quirk gums!

2 Likes

I don’t feel like this is a good reason. Maybe it’s just preference or I’m biased, but if I’m forging for a 3 boon tool, I’d rather not have to deal with quirks entirely since you’re purely at the mercy of RNG.
But fair point, I was only thinking about bombs (where I don’t think you need 3 boons? I only can think of dmg + AoE, knockback feels like a luxury) and not melee weapons which definitely wants 3 boons.

Yes, quirk gums would be great.

3 Likes

YES

Please some quirk gums…

4 Likes

Also adding more boons without adding more gums makes forging harder. Certain gums have too many options already and adding more to the mix would be a pain.

Having quirk gums would be nice though

5 Likes

Thanks, yes I can now.
In the world builder, I had tried “new world” and eventually tried launch client but it would try to start then go away, I assume it crashed because whenever I tried launch client, it submitted crash dumps from a previous try.

Now in “play boundless” on test, entered debug, selected “create new local universe”, then select generate default multiverse, it is generating with 3 worlds (lower, middle, upper).
I will see if I can join when it completes.

“Surprise Mechanics” are a fun addition to any game and everyone knows that players love them. Just ask EA Games… /s :rofl:

I honestly wish the forge was more predictable and the quirks were things that just happened to lower skilled players and we werent basically playing roulette

2 Likes

The universe successfully generated the 3 planets, and I was able to join the server and play.

I looked at the map in the debug screen and saw a variety of map areas, lush_1, coal_2, metal_1.

It looked like it was working fine for the short time I played.

1 Like

I must agree that using “1 character can do more things” as justification to half cubits gains doesn’t sit well. At the end of the day any alts were presumably controlled by one the user so all in all its twice the work for the user, whichever way you look at it.

4 Likes

Colour Spray Testing
Following natural blocks are now tintable with the spray epic skill
Growth
Ash
Mud
Ice
Glacier
Gravel
Sponge
Tangle
Thorns
Sand
Grass
Mould
Mould Trellis
Foilage Trellis
Foilage
Soils
Compact Soils
Enriched peat
Plain, Stylish, Ornate Glass blocks
Glass Signs
Glass Panes
Wicker

Still not sprayable
Gleam products
Plants (can’t target)

The following blocks says skill not high enough without epic but crash the game if you paint with epic
All alloy blocks
Conduits
Compact Gems
Compact Coals
Compact Lucents
Coils
Spark Generator
Dark Glass
Glass
Normal Lantern
Likely all non tintable blocks (This is basically a bug report)

The following allows tinting of the wrong color (ex shadow ceru spray makes copper storage silver)
Metal Storage
@james @vdragon

Edit: Added more testing

9 Likes

What about wicker? Still not tintable?

Sorry forgot to add yes it is with epic skill

2 Likes

They left out mud?

Really lol

2 Likes

Just so you cant have white mud. Jk mud is sprayable.

6 Likes

Wait what you can paint grass me not happy now me grass useless now ( ;.; )

1 Like

Holy ■■■■!

still way more expensive to paint it than to plant it though =)

3 Likes