Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes - continued

Ditto, I can’t help but think the silence is being forced for some reason, given how open they’ve been in the past. The scenario that makes the most sense to me - I know I’ve mentioned this elsewhere - is sustained BG3 crunch.

Larian just added ANOTHER studio, Barcelona this time. They’ve got what, seven or eight studios spread out around the world. Some really restless, antsy fans, looking at their own boards and social media. A project where “ambitious” is an understatement. Something this huge, and being an RPG (and one with a picky fanbase) you have not just the technical and gameplay balance issues but keeping cohesiveness in characters and plot throughout and having that all juggled by people literally around the world?

Yikes. :scream: Might not know anything about coding but know that their work is cut out for them here.

Since Larian is REALLY trying to recruit, they probably want to keep issues regarding falling behind, crunch, ect. under wraps. Sensitive topic, don’t want to lose candidates. Interestingly, found this article that interviews one of the Wonderstruck crew, worth a read just as a look at the Guildford games industry if nothing else - https://laurakbuzz.com/2020/10/06/the-changing-face-of-development-in-guildford/ Does sort of reinforce the idea to me that if they’re under a lot of pressure on BG3, while still desperate to get new talent in, given that change in the Guildford culture away from that sort of thing, there is incentive to keep that quiet.

7 Likes

I think that there has to be something stopping them from explicitly saying anything about the development because James has been active with other topics like the world maps and even took a bit of time to change the name of the files so people can find their planet easier.

4 Likes

I tend to agree with you @bucfanpaka

Who knows maybe in the end this will be a good thing and more development can be geared towards Boundless and James can get some help.

3 Likes

Yep, I could be totally wrong but I suspect Larian might well have saved everything. Better to have to wait than have it disappear. A lot of small studios do go under, sometimes in spite of turning out great games, ect. :frowning: Brutal industry. I’m very grateful for their work, I know a lot of sacrifice goes into bringing us our fun. Yeah, got my gripes and I do sometimes vent about stuff (Evil Paka gets a little grumpy, yeah), but in the end, any complaints FAR passed by thankfulness for what they brought us here. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Comment 1145 we caught up \ (^-^) /

All I really want in the game is to unlock the last 4 trophies on PlayStation so I get the platinum

8 Likes

In my opinion, the most important piece of information we can get is the status of Larian Guildford, Turbulenz, Wonderstruck, and the Boundless IP. Who owns what, who are the team members on the Boundless side, and how much time are they able to dedicate to it? It would also be nice to know if Boundless is operating at a loss or not, but that’s unlikely to be shared.
I’d also like to know what it means that James only posts to the forums outside business hours. I think that’s the most foreboding concrete information we have.

I don’t think this would solve the overall problem, but it would at least kill off the massive space for wild speculation that we’re currently subject to.

3 Likes

According to James in THIS article at least 20 members of Turbulenz were working on BG3 as of Febuary. Anyone have any notion how much staff that leaves for Boundless :man_shrugging:

My estimate, based on financial reports and the numbers from that article (and of course some speculation) is about 1-5 people. Note that I believe that this has been the case since around the launch of Boundless, though.
I think my math on that is somewhere on the forum, but I don’t remember the details.

They are also working on a new IP (and one that looks quite cool just from this little description!), Agency Zero - http://wonderstruckgames.com/games/ You have to wonder though how much of the resources left that takes? I don’t blame them if they go into maintenance mode with Boundless, sad if active development does stop but have to do what they have to do here.

So on one hand, you say “stop saying this” and on the other hand, you say “because it’s true”.

Waaaas NOT expecting this.

Yeah, count me out on this one. Starting a new game while they’re faaaaaar away from being finished with the core features of the first game, and with how they’re handling com’ now?
At least, I believe they won’t over-promise on features for the next game, unless they want a repeat of Boundless.

2 Likes

I absolutely agree - people need to chill out, stop speculating, and come join our little permadeath community if you’re wanting a new challenge :wink:

But seriously, we don’t know all the facts… and none of it is any of our business.

Nobody set any kind of date/deadline for updates or anything.

4 Likes

(O.O) James-chan is a Cutie in that video the update will come me know it now Boop

3 Likes

It doesn’t matter when communication or update happens. Because same complains will come up soon after that again.

Documenting every move to the public won’t help and building hype time is over. It was cursed already years ago when LHX files were published on some magazines :smiley:

3 Likes

I agree for the most part, but when you have a community literally begging for some kind of update or acknowledgment, the least one could do is say “Still working on it”. You are going to get complaints either way.

Little less conversation… Little more action :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I still say I would wet my pants if James just posted “Hi, look I communicated” and nothing else.

:joy:

And I would love it!

11 Likes

It could be that he’s Getting ready for E3 so they can showcase Baldurs Gate 3 and boundless is on hold til then I would accept that

3 Likes

The reason for my departure is honestly because they announced one of the two systems I’ve wanted since the game came out (melee weapons) and have yet to release them so I’ve been in a holding pattern until I can make them. I could care less about local universes so long as the live universes exist. Basically when I play and all I can think about is how one of my dreams is just sitting there waiting on the test server… The other thing I wanted was Titans, but I’ve lost hope for them at this point, heck i’ve lost hope for melee weapons and they are on the test server. Its not a lack of things to do its the taste of something so sweet that the current lack of it makes the game taste bland. (people might doubt that I felt so strongly about these, I’ve forged wayfarer totems to act as swords, but they don’t perform well past level 4 enemies since they aren’t actually melee weapons but tools, I’ve put the time in to try and make my own melee weapons in game for hours, but they don’t come close to what is supposed to be coming).

I still check in because this is by far my favorite sandbox game I’ve ever played. If they just said that development was “halted until further notice” then maybe I could convince myself that melee weapons were just a dream, and live without them. As it stands I will never play any “baulder’s gate” or whatever its called because it feels like it drove a stake into the game of theirs that I love. Even if its not true that is how it feels right now.

1 Like

I don’t want to side with the devs here, but I am kinda…sorry.

As a developer, I would jump at the chance if I was a game developer with a small company to work at a larger company, if for anything else, to get some experience with a larger more well-known game and hell some better money, not that you would/could technically make more.

Where I won’t side is the lack of communication…but I suppose depending on your point-of-view no news is not bad news… but it’s also not good news. I love the game and will continue to play it regardless. Titan’s meh… I’d give up Titans for modding being added…

2 Likes

Guys, just ignore this guy. I’ve already explained, ad nauseum, what would help and why players are fleeing the game in droves - why the game is very much dying. He has rose-tinted glasses and is a contrarian, just wanting to argue for the sake of argument.

4 Likes