Testing, keep getting server maintenance, servers unavailable

the only other real advantage we got is mods (far sight to see meteors across the map, auto hot key) but to remove those would be a nucler option

No it is not a forge thing. It has nothing to do with the forge specifically. It has to do with an environment being available that is not available for PS4. So the ability to test, try, learn, etc goes WAY beyond the one specific part of the game and that is the not fair part. Basically this is all I can give because I didn’t spend much time discussing it. I asked if it was for a specific reason and the reason I got back was the PS4 vs PC challenge and no other key reason.

The issue is not that PS4 and PC are not the same. Generically the issue is specifically that Sony does not agree that PS4 players need to test or have test type environments basically. Due to that, they will not green light the various debug and other options that are needed for testing.

Just turning your foliage distance down to minimum from the in-game settings made my boulder gather rate go up 80% in some places, I’d call that an advantage.

Then there’s the boundlesstrade scanner, the map client, the debug menu and a few others, including the mods which can get ridiculous if you push it. Some of these give a real advantage, some are just convenience.

@Xaldafax Alright I guess I read too much in to the previous messages and there being a connection to the forge. But my point was that if they’re keeping testing private because of the PC PS4 difference, will they do the same to other things that differ, since sony doesn’t allow them on the PS4?

I think you have to look at each issue separately and decide if there is a real advantage or a big concern around it. You also need to consider the reverse and what PS4 gets over PC and can see things like that as a balance. Each platform gets certain things.

Testing was a key component and makes sense to stop. The debug menu you could probably argue is not a big deal.

I really don’t think it is smart in general to take the discussion too far about PS4 vs PC “fairness.” It is very hard to prove advantages and it can be a context and perspective based discussion. I think we just need to focus on broader focus right now and keep content/features coming.

As for those that are modding the game and using tools that are not directly released by the developers we need to remember these are not directly supported or pushed by the development team. I’m not going to go into that area or try to communicate what I know on a deeper level and the dev views on this subject. It isn’t the right place for that and a much deeper conversations. All I know is those that use or develop them risk a ban at some point if the developers feel they crossed a line or are using the things for betterment of themselves over the community as a whole.

Is this what they actually told you or is this something you think is the reason? I know what you wrote before it but I want to be sure.

In any way: Finally have access to a Steam version since a little while and I still can’t test things with forging on Testing, so fk me tho, right?

I dislike this with a passion if I’m honest.

How are we expected to even be able to test new things when, as a new player with access to Testing, it’s neigh impossible to even set up a workshop?

If I could set up everything so when something new hits, like last time, some new forging items, but have to spend the time that Testing is up to create my work space first all the while I also want to do things in the normal game, I won’t be able to test things, now can I? Like last time there was a new Testing available a new exo spawned like 40 minutes later, I mean, what?

And besides the forging stuff, there are many things that can be nice to play with on Testing which is now also blocked.

This does not seem like the best solution to me…

I asked James directly about the situation with Testing and reasons behind why it is limited now. Nothing I am saying is a direct quote but instead me trying to convey the conversation and give a general explanation of the situation as it stands.

Sorry if that sounds like Lawyer speak but in this case I’m doing my best and being as transparent as I can for this topic. While on other topics I might pick and choose what I share and the depth of the details, in this case this is pretty much everything as I stated in the original two points.

When features come out testing will be made available for people to use the environment to test. I don’t know if that will be for days or weeks.

While I personally don’t like testing not being available for some of the advanced lock testing I was doing to help improve that feature set, I completely agree with the basic reasons behind this decision and why they are doing it. I am still happy that at least we get to test new features for feedback.

But did James actually say it’s because of unfairness between PS4 players and PC players?

That’s what I was asking…

I didn’t record the conversation so I can not find the exact words he used. At one point the context of the conversation was about “fairness” so I assume it is safe to say that is at least one of the main reasons.

1 Like