Texture Glitch

I don’t know what happened, but everytime I log into Boundless, the textures act funny.

This is what I see everywhere and it is extremely difficult to mine and build because I don’t know what each block is. Lol.

Computer Specs:
2014 21.5" iMac.
1.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Intel HD Graphics 5000 (1536 MB)

1 Like

Did you try turning off some of the graphical options to see if it makes any difference. If it does, it could give us some clues on what is happening here. For now, if you ring up the debug text, you will know what you are mining. The button to press is [.]. The period / full stop key.

This appears to be the same issue I get on the mac.

None of the settings changed it for me, unfortunately :frowning:

Doesn’t look like the exact same issue, but might be related because you’re on a mac:

I can’t enjoy C++ because of this jittery flash that blocks my view of what’s far ahead. I could only blocks that are close to me. I’ve deleted and download boundless but it remains the same.

My specs:

MAC OS X 10.11.4
Retina Display
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB 1600Mhz DDR3
Intel Iris Pro 1536MB

1 Like

No words out just yet about a fix. But devs said they’re busy trying to fix this.

1 Like

Any update? I get the similar results on all C++ builds so far. In fact it, so consistently I’d thought it was due to the “dev” build nature of the servers, until my son tried on a windows machine. The render was so different at first I thought he’d respawned to a different biome… silly me.

Machine:
Macbook Air
1.3 GHz Intel Core i5
OSX 10.11.5
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

Again varying the video settings doesn’t fix the texture rendering issues. Though they do seem to function as expected: render distance, detail level, size etc.

Basically the same view, from my work machine:

Macbook pro
3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
OSX 10.11.5
16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 1610 1536 MB

1 Like

Oh, should mention this is from TESTUS2, hence the morning/evening lighting. Similar blocky “tundra” effect on TESTUS1 though.

Can you confirm if this also happens with the Steam Beta “testing” release?

Yup. It is why I though it was expected. Just changed from the “production” build to the “test” Beta release yesterday.

I still get this on my Mac as well (including on the test builds)

We’ve been hacking away at the OS X rendering issues over the past couple of months. We’ve not forgotten them!! We’re working on them.

However, it’s proving difficult to track down as we’ve not replicated the issue with our Macs. This makes diagnosing the issue(s) and fixing it pretty random. We’ve even considered switching from OpenGL to Metal on OSX to get onto something that Apple is supporting.

We’ve also started thinking about a bigger change that would hopefully simplify the shaders and improve performance for all the platforms. (Tech: switching the voxel rendering from an atlas technique to a texture array technique.)

We appreciate that it’s frustrating that you’ve bought a game that doesn’t render correctly - but have confidence that we’re working on it and we’ll get there in the end!

5 Likes

Thanks @james. I appreciate it can be difficult. My personal suspicion is that it has to do with the newer OSX and the Intel HD 5000 configuration. but I haven’t made any forays into actually debugging the issue.

I also completely understand @james. It takes time to fix bugs.
I first noticed this issue right around the time that world regeneration was implemented for the first time in the worlds just before this wipe. I logged in for a couple minutes and just thought everything was snowy, and didn’t think much of it because I didn’t play for quite a while. I checked through my screenshots (because I regularly take pictures of interesting things I find) and this issue first occurred for me on May 12th. It was fine before then, so I think the Intel 5000 series chip just didn’t like some minor change. It’s weird.

I had the same problem and I’m on mac too.

1 Like

Changing to the “testing” release (or any of the releases) doesn’t change anything for me, but I will continue to see if I can figure something out.

We have some more things planned for the next couple of weeks that might help as well.

1 Like

Perfect! I’m looking forward to it!